Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
My main reason I don't dine out often is it's too expensive.

Slow and inefficient service is another.

I also don't like eating in one of those "family" restaurants that tend to have lots of screaming kids.

Besides, I can make my own meals for a lot less and they will be healthier, too.
But you always dine out, according to your lunch and dinner posts. Or do you mean that you pick it up and eat it at home?

Old 01-25-2015, 03:32 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Isn't the point of dining out quality, rather than speed? (I'm not considering fast food as "dining out.") I think a leisurely dinner with extended conversation is one of the great pleasures of life.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM

766 posts, read 1,394,280 times
Why don't I? I don't trust them!

Did the cook wash his/her hands after using the bathroom? What if some azzhat decides to spit on my food? What if one of those employees is ticked off at the boss tonight?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:11 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post

Last week my wife and I went out (which is rare) and when the bill came, at the bottom it said... "Suggested tip: 20% ______; 25% ________" ... SERIOUSLY? 20-25%??? There wasn't even a line for 15 or 18%.
That would enrage me, too.

In fact, that did happen to us in New Orleans once, only the waitress ADDED the tip to the meal. Her service wasn't worth what she charged for herself, but it wouldn't have mattered if she was. My husband saw the look on my face and immediately started "cooling me down" because he saw what was coming if I didn't. I did ask for the manager and he wasn't there. But later I found their website and sent him a scathing email. No response, of course.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
I prefer cooking at home most of the time, but there are a few things I like going out for.

I like eating seafood out. There's a great seafood place here; it's really good, fresh-caught off the coast, and the prices are really good. It's better and cheaper than buying seafood and then cooking it at home. Plus, I only like shrimp, and my hubby likes to get a variety platter with scallops, oysters, shrimp and fish. It's just easier and honestly cheaper to go out, and I don't have to worry about the mess of frying or the fish stink in the house.

I also like going out for steak sometimes. We do make good steaks at home too, but it's really not much more costly to go out for it. Plus, we have a few favorite local steakhouses that we visit.

Other than that, it's usually cheaper, faster, easier, healthier and overall more pleasant to eat at home. I just wish I didn't have to do dishes!!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
What is the point of this thread?

Not every thought that comes across your brain needs to be made into a thread.

(Que the "you took the time to respond to it" replies)

Does everyone really need to know that you find "dining out" to be too slow?

Actually, I did get a laugh out of this thread, as I found that someone in the world considers eating at Chick-fil-A to be "dining out."

Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
That would enrage me, too. In fact, that did happen to us in New Orleans once, only the waitress ADDED the tip to the meal. Her service wasn't worth what she charged for herself, but it wouldn't have mattered if she was. My husband saw the look on my face and immediately started "cooling me down" because he saw what was coming if I didn't. I did ask for the manager and he wasn't there. But later I found their website and sent him a scathing email. No response, of course.
I should clarify that the lines for 20 & 25% were just 'suggested' amounts. We were still free to leave whatever we wanted and no tip was automatically added for us. Still... just the fact that they think it's ok to suggest up to 25% (in case I can't divide by 4?) was annoying and felt like a slap in the face as a paying customer. Why don't they just add the full balance of their home mortgage and "suggest" that? The fact that we'd just paid $60 for bland fired chicken did not help either.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
1-Like everyone else, I don't consider fast food as "dining out".
2-if I'm at a restaurant, I want quality, not speed. You want speed, go to a fast food joint. If still too slow, re-evaluate yourself or stop waiting until you're starving to eat.
3-I don't eat out much for the following reasons: a.) it's become expensive b.) it's unhealthy

Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Slow.

It's not that prices are especially difficult. Especially with the price of fuel down a lot, I COULD afford to dine out more often. But I don't want to. And as far as healthy options, I usually make decent choices at restaurants, and I don't tend to overeat.

But the speed of all restaurants is just abhorrently slow. Especially fast food. Ironically.

Some notable exceptions: Chick fil a is not only good value, but usually quite rapid. Even when busy.
That is pretty much the opposite reason we don't dine out anymore. It seems like, even at the expensive restaurants, we are rushed and can't relax and enjoy the experience.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
By the time I get fluffed up, drive 30-60 minutes one way, pay 100+ per person for appetizer/chain restaurant steak and a glass or two of house wine and have to listen to people argue, have untended children under foot and a waiter trying to get the next seating in - where is the enjoyment?

For a mediocre dinner out for two I can cook up a storm for four to six, no noise, no rush, some can walk home, others will spend the night. There is no bad table at our house only some chairs closer to the wine cooler))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink