Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 06:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,046 times

Advertisements

Hi,
since the previous thread on this subject was dated-
Just want to see if any new ideas.
From the existing thread I got this info:
the best (and expensive) - Le Creuset
also recommended Circulon
All-Clad,
Viking.

I cannot afford the best, unless I find it at a Goodwill (unlikely)
I am impressed with Circulon because the other day, i left some vegetable juice burn down to nothing in a pot, and as far as I can tell, the pot is still good, so I checked it and found it is a Circulon, which I would say makes a good pot.
so I may go for that.

any other ideas?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
If I could afford only one pot of that size, I'd personally buy a Le Creuset 5-quart Dutch oven, but it's important to treat it very well, because the enamel isn't impervious to damage. The pot must be allowed to come up to temperature slowly to prevent crazing, and it shouldn't ever be allowed to boil dry.

If I was in the market for a traditional stockpot, I'd probably go with the oven-safe, SS, All-Clad. It works well for pasta, soup/stew/stock, and, it's the perfect size for No-Knead bread. It also cleans up beautifully with a metal mesh scrubby.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Meh, I bought a couple of aluminum-bottomed Revere Ware stockpots on Ebay -- 10 quart, 8 quart and 4.5 quart -- and I love them.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
What you want to look for in a stock pot (or any pot or pan really) is one that has a thick bottom that distributes the heat evenly. Ideally you want the sides to be fairly thick as well, but that isn't quite as important as the bottom.

I think the best would be All-Clad, but Cuisinart makes some with a solid bottom but the sides are a bit thin. That can be real problem with pans, but isn't as important in a stock pot if you're looking to save some money.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I have a Cuisinart and do not care for it at all. Stock ingredients go on the stove with the aluminum AllClad insert and then outside or in really bad weather to the garage to simmer. I have a section of workbench reserved for that purpose in winter.
The LeCreuset stock pot got very ugly with time. Does anyone have a good tip on how to deal with discoloration of the light colored inside of standard LeCreuset pots? Thank you.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
In my opinion, because you are boiling huge amounts of liquid, any tall pasta or stock pot will do. Thin or thick, the liquid provides its own insulation so it doesn't require a special heavy bottom/sides etc. I use a cheap stainless steel tall pasta pot for both stock and boiling pasta/potatoes/broth based soups. I wouldn't use it for anything else as it's thin but it heats up fast because of the thinness.

Everything else I use my enameled cast iron or all clad pots.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
I like a heavy bottom, since I frequently brown vegetables in the bottom of the pot before adding the liquid. A thin bottomed pot will have very uneven heat distribution, so some vegetables will get burned very quickly while others don't get browned at all. I've also had problems with syrups burning to the bottom of thin bottomed pots when I add them to a liquid.

I definitely agree that All-Clads are vastly superior to Cuisinarts, but I spent about $35-40 for my thick bottomed Cuisinart one and the cheapest All-Clad equivalent I could find was well over $200. Le Creusets are a good compromise in both price and quality.

(Just to clarify, I'm talking about 12-quart pots)

Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I bought an Emeril version of a LeCreuset dutch oven at Marshall's, which is a good place to find expensive cookware on sale. I don't use it very often because it is so darn heavy that I am afraid I might drop it taking it out of the oven. If I have the opportunity to find a lighter pot I like better, I will switch. Also, I have an electric flat cooktop, which I'm not sure is the best to use with enamel cookware.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:23 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
I have one of those heavy pots Similar to Le Creuset but it's a Mario Bitali version. I love making stews, soups, chili in it. I think mine cost $80 but that was 7 years ago. Easy to clean too.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
I love my Revereware stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink