Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:45 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,274 times

Advertisements

I have virtually no need to stock up before a storm-- growing up in hurricane country (FL) and now living in MN (plus as a busy, working mom of three, I try to avoid going to the store more than every 2-3 weeks)-- I always have the following on hand:

Tins of sardines, canned salmon, canned tuna, canned and frozen veg, beans and fruit, rice, spices, dried herbs, bottled water, olive oil, plus a freezer full of pork and beef (I buy a 1/2 pig and a 1/4 cow every 4 months or so from a local farmer), and homemade soup/stock in the freezer, too. An extra propane tank for the grill and two 5 gallon storage tanks of gas. We could easily live out of our pantry and freezer (whereas in FL, I wouldn't have stocked the freezer as we're more likely to lose power in the summer-- here in MN, we're more likely to lose power in the winter, so I can always throw the freezer contents into the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I have plenty of food and cooking camping supplies to keep us fed for a few months. It might not be what I wanted to eat, but it is there. Usually, you have warning for hurricanes and ice storms, blizzards, etc., where you know you won't have electricity for a while. Even though I have food, I'd still head to the store for fresh milk, eggs, bread and anything else that hit my fancy.

We've been through three major ice storms. I learned a lot after being being in an all electric house with no heat during one of those storms. We have a generator. This thread reminds me I need to take it in for maintenance. Last major power outage, we fired up the generator to keep the refrigerator going. I still had my gas stove, but no oven. We now have a camping oven that works on a gas stove. Not great for anything complex, but does a great job with chicken strips and whomp biscuits. We were also able to have internet because of the generator. Heat was provided via the wood burning stove. I live further south now so cold weather really isn't an issue. We may learn something if a hurricane hits.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
One thing about all that snow and cold you wont have to worry about spoilage if the power goes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
...but as far as a survival kit - im in maine so if we lose power for days/weeks I can always put frozen food outside in the garage it should be fine...
Hey - you guys are giving out our secrets! After the holidays, we shut down the fridge and kept a cooler for our perisables. We just fill water bottles and put them out to freeze, then pack the cooler with them. Works like a charm...if anything, some of the foods begin to freeze, but that's OK!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that ice storm we had , I think in '98 we lost power for 3 weeks, that tested our preparedness and resolve

I have a woodstove in my living room, so that was a life saver, it provided warmth and I cooked on it -I cooked all the can stuff everyone on here dumps on...chef Boyardee meatballs, boxed processed stuff, pasta -thank god I had that, and a freezer full of meat ,

my biggest fear is losing electricity because I live near the water -in a flood zone- I have a sump pump basin in the basement that will fill with water from three outside pipes- I've got a sump pump in it, that does drain the basin,,,,but needs electricity
I broke down and got a back up generator that's in the garage, that will give me electricity if needed..

in big storms like this one, if its windy, we may lose power- I will go check on some elderly neighbors , make sure they are alright - its them I worry about- some don't have family around to help them

but as far as a survival kit - im in maine so if we lose power for days/weeks I can always put frozen food outside in the garage it should be fine...
have flashlights, candles. water

also gas for the generator, and snowblower, wood for the woodstove, some canned goods .

I have no fear of being robbed, im in maine - back in the icestorm,,most of maine - lost power for 3 weeks, and not one report of a crime or someone stealing from another- it was the opposite- people knocking on doors making sure neighbors were ok

You're going to have to teach me a thing or two if we move there. My definition of an emergency meal is ordering a pizza.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,704,195 times
The problem (for me) with stocking canned food and "rotating" before the expiration date is that I generally don't eat canned food for health reasons save sardines sometimes, so "rotaing" would force me to eat them every once in a while if there is no disaster (which is usually the case).

Old 01-29-2015, 12:18 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,553 times
Chicken and rice if I don't have anything else to eat. That is what I will have if there is nothing else.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times
We're pretty well stocked as a rule. Multiple different kinds of dried beans, rices and grains. Dried tomatoes, mushrooms, fruit. Freezer well stocked with chicken, beef and fish along with the various fruits and vegetables from the past season. Also have lots of chicken, vegetable and shrimp stock in freezer. Some canned soup, tuna, salmon but we don't buy a lot of canned goods normally.

We have a woodstove so could cook on it in a pinch, along with a gas grill and extra tanks of propane. Water is what we haven't stocked up on and I keep thinking it's something to work on. Been using the excuse that it's never been an issue in the past... until it happens.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,395 times
I've got an emergency supply of canned food that doesn't need to be cooked (corn, oranges, salmon, whole black beans and chickpeas) as well as some MRE meals and dried goods like rice an beans. It's not a ton of food, but a months supply - just incase.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
The problem (for me) with stocking canned food and "rotating" before the expiration date is that I generally don't eat canned food for health reasons save sardines sometimes, so "rotaing" would force me to eat them every once in a while if there is no disaster (which is usually the case).
Donate them to a food pantry before they expire.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I do home canning, so I'm set for fruit, pickled vegetables and chicken. I usually have cans of tuna and soup, and canned beans. Right now I have several cans of Skyline Chili on hand, thanks to a visit from a Cincinnati friend. Peanut butter is a good thing to have on hand. I also usually have a few cartons of shelf-stable coconut or almond milk.

I have an electric stove, so I'd have no way to cook other than the gas grill, which this time of year is usually empty of propane.

I'm a lousy prepper. LOL
Coleman makes a great little stove that uses either gasoline, Coleman Fuel, or kerosene. Always use kerosene because it's safe to store in the house. Always buy K-1 grade. Kerosene lamps are great as well and you don't need to wait for a disaster to use them. They provide most of my light.

Sterno (gelled or jelled alcohol) is the fuel used in chafing dishes. It provides enough heat to do some simple cooking. It's more than hot enough to boil water if there's a water problem. These little stoves are really cheap. I keep two in reserve.

Amazon.com : Coleman Exponent Multi-Fuel Stove : Camping Stoves : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Sterno Single Burner Folding Stove - 50002 : Camping Stoves : Sports & Outdoors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink