Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
The pigs.
Yeah, I'm thinking not.

I remember my maternal grandfather having some sort of pork product just about everyday when I'd eat breakfast with him when I was a kid. Many, many decades ago.

Modern culture has played a huge part in promoting foods of all types.

Bacon just happens to taste the best out of all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking not.

I remember my maternal grandfather having some sort of pork product just about everyday when I'd eat breakfast with him when I was a kid. Many, many decades ago.

Modern culture has played a huge part in promoting foods of all types.

Bacon just happens to taste the best out of all of them.
bulldog,,,,,has a good point

maybe our meats are so lean today and we cut away all the fat, buy dry boneless chicken breasts ,,,that much of the meats have much less flavor than years ago

maybe the bacon tastes so good, because much of the lean meats today are bland.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,296,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It seems to me that in the last few years there has been a lot of hype about eating bacon. How did this start? A campaign by the pork industry? The use of bacon by some famous chefs? A backlash against being told to eat healthy? All three? Something else?
Once upon a time in the Garden of Eden...

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,184 times
Quote:
It seems to me that in the last few years there has been a lot of hype about eating bacon. How did this start? A campaign by the pork industry? The use of bacon by some famous chefs? A backlash against being told to eat healthy? All three? Something else?
I don't call it a craze, hype, campaigns or anything else... I call it GOOD TASTE! And that started way longer than a few years ago for me.

As for your questions, Atkins wrote some books a while back telling everyone to eat loads of protein and mentions bacon a lot in his diet plan. That may have affected the thinking of some of the more impressionable people. I just remember seeing the book in a store after it was already really popular and all I can really remember is reading bacon and agreeing.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:02 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
Quote:
He/she wasn't a muslim....

Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,632,606 times
Chocolate covered bacon is gooooood.....

Old 01-27-2015, 04:49 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I am not sure who started the craze but I never got on board. Yes! bacon is very tasty but I have a pound that I bought on sell <sale>and it has been sitting in the refrigerator for quite some time (it still has the color so I am guessing that it is okay to eat). Still trying to figure out what to do with it besides the usual (BLT, with eggs, etc.). I am contemplating a bacon and potato soup at this time.
Toss it in the oven, bake it, and eat it.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
We love baked potatoes wrapped in bacon. Wash potato, wrap with a slice or two of bacon around the middle depending on size of potato. (Sometimes I just use small or medium russet potatoes and a half slice of bacon.) Sprinkle on a bit of garlic salt and wrap in foil. Bake in oven until potato is done. Top with favorite baked potato toppings or cottage cheese. Super yummy! Thinner bacon gets crispier.

My grandparents were hog farmers in Iowa. Pork has always been a part of our lives.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM

32,916 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
He/she wasn't a muslim....
Probably not, but the Arabic in-laws like to go to Dubai and drink. They've also owned homes in London, for decades, where they went to shop at Harrods, go clubbing and tuck into a nice English breakfast.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:47 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
A man was the reason I became a vegetarian. Bacon is the reason I got rid of -both- of those bad habits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink