Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 AM

24 posts, read 28,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
They are incredibly realistic. I have seen them up close.

But seriously. There is no food shortage, organic or not.

Every year, half of the available food in America, whether sourced here or imported, is thrown away.
How sad...wish that there was a way to distribute the food to those in need instead of wasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 AM

399 posts, read 685,374 times
My point was, for the organic extremists who are against all fertilizer/chemical/pesticides and believes the world should live as they do, that it wouldn't be possible to feed the world on the organic yields.

If you choose organic, that is your choice. Just don't be trying to make everyone else live to your choice.

If I may illustrate an extreme situation-

The organic vegetarian who believes everyone should be a vegetarian because they don't believe in killing animals for food, most likely supporting PETA. First, they want everyone to eat vegetarian. Next, they eliminate hunting and the domestic meat market.

So, the animal population explodes (think deer, cows any vegetable eating species). Now they have 2 problems. 1-organic yields aren't enough to go around. 2. We are also now competing with a rampant population of herbivores for this food.

And then they will complain about animals in their garden..........

But, I suppose we could use birth control for all the animals. Hey, that's practical ain't it?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:56 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
If you choose organic, that is your choice. Just don't be trying to make everyone else live to your choice.
You and everyone who agrees with you is a fool.

http://http://qz.com/107970/scientis...n-you-thought/

And since I doubt you read much, let me condense it down for you:

"Scientists had struggled to find the trigger for so-called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) that has wiped out an estimated 10 million beehives, worth $2 billion, over the past six years....scientists at the University of Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture have identified a witch’s brew of pesticides and fungicides contaminating pollen that bees collect to feed their hives....Bee populations are so low in the US that it now takes 60% of the country’s surviving colonies just to pollinate one California crop, almonds. And that’s not just a west coast problem—California supplies 80% of the world’s almonds, a market worth $4 billion."

Organic has nothing to do with personal choices. It has everything to do with our ability to continue to grow crops and feed people. The very argument you are ignorantly trying to make.

Honestly, I've got to leave this thread, because it's too disheartening to see how incredibly stupid so many people are, and the damage your collective ignorance is going to do to this planet.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:59 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
After doing some reading I've come to these conclusions:

- In 2008, a supposed bad year for growing food, the United States produced enough food for > 8 billion people. That's more than we currently have on the planet.

- Half that went to feeding animals for us to eat. Grown food is much more space efficient than meat.

- Another large chunk of that went to ethanol in the form of corn. Without looking it up (and ignoring ethanol is a failure), sugar cane is something like 4x more efficient for ethanol than corn.

- Organic farming can achieve 94% of the output of non-organic farming (developing countries are much more efficient at organic farming than we are, reaching as high as 183%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You and everyone who agrees with you is a fool.

http://http://qz.com/107970/scientis...n-you-thought/

And since I doubt you read much, let me condense it down for you:

"Scientists had struggled to find the trigger for so-called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) that has wiped out an estimated 10 million beehives, worth $2 billion, over the past six years....scientists at the University of Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture have identified a witch’s brew of pesticides and fungicides contaminating pollen that bees collect to feed their hives....Bee populations are so low in the US that it now takes 60% of the country’s surviving colonies just to pollinate one California crop, almonds. And that’s not just a west coast problem—California supplies 80% of the world’s almonds, a market worth $4 billion."

Organic has nothing to do with personal choices. It has everything to do with our ability to continue to grow crops and feed people. The very argument you are ignorantly trying to make.

Honestly, I've got to leave this thread, because it's too disheartening to see how incredibly stupid so many people are, and the damage your collective ignorance is going to do to this planet.
This is something people need to be more focused on. Nobody really realizes the great reduction in bees over the past few years, and even more people I don't think understand there really won't be much to eat without bees.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
This is something people need to be more focused on. Nobody really realizes the great reduction in bees over the past few years, and even more people I don't think understand there really won't be much to eat without bees.
Thank you for "getting it" and giving me a little faith in humans' ability to comprehend something that is more than 12 inches from their personal sight line. Hang out on an organic gardening forum and you will find very little talk of any health benefits of eating organic. It is COMPLETELY about not killing the beneficial insects our crops need in order to grow.

If anyone is concerned about how we are going to feed mankind 20, 50, 100 years from now, you best be paying attention to the bee population and what pesticides and fungicides are doing to wipe them out.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Thank you for "getting it" and giving me a little faith in humans' ability to comprehend something that is more than 12 inches from their personal sight line. Hang out on an organic gardening forum and you will find very little talk of any health benefits of eating organic. It is COMPLETELY about not killing the beneficial insects our crops need in order to grow.

If anyone is concerned about how we are going to feed mankind 20, 50, 100 years from now, you best be paying attention to the bee population and what pesticides and fungicides are doing to wipe them out.
I haven't read the entire thread but just wanted to say that I agree with you and I am also very
concerned about the fate of bees. I remember many years ago when they had those commercials
that would say "chemicals are your friends," during the 70's. Well, at one point I was working
at company x that was hired by manufactures of pesticides and herbicides to do the research
studies involved in order to get approval to produce and sell them. Well the company
falsified the data and unfortunately many of these products were given the ok for production.
Even though the results were false - shockingly they were able to sell them anyway since the
reports were in, the manufacturing and distribution were already in use and on the shelves.
(btw, I found out about this after I left Co. X and the false studies happened before I worked there).

Old 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Scientists haven't concluded what colony collapse disorder is from, most of them think a variety of interacting causes, but pesticides and herbicides are still on the list: Colony collapse disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Scientists haven't concluded what colony collapse disorder is from, most of them think a variety of interacting causes, but pesticides and herbicides are still on the list: Colony collapse disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's very high on the list. Anyone legitimetly concerned with the world's food supply and how we are going to feed an increasing population should be educated enough on this subject not to be pushing pesticides as the answer.

Organic has NOTHING to do with personal choice in what people want to put in their bodies. This is an environmental issue.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Organic foods move slowly in the market often over ripe consequently they have limited shelf life and so ripe the sugar content soars!
I get regular produce but use a veggie wash .

Old 02-01-2015, 02:12 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
OP, I've got some Agent Orange I want to sell you!

Don't believe all the negative hype. It's great stuff!

It really works wonders on everything you spray it on. Cancer schmancer!

Last edited by picklejuice; 02-01-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink