Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 AM

774 posts, read 745,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I'm continually amazed at how Ree Drummond has created an entire industry off of pilfered church potluck and ladies auxiliary cookbook recipes.
You mean real food that real people actually make? What a stupid idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:46 AM

774 posts, read 745,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Actually I read something similar on another forum. Someone had a friend who worked on the production of her show and they said she literally never eats, other than taking bites for the camera. I don't remember anything about spitting the food out, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Oh, I'm sure she swallows. She just goes to the restroom between takes and pukes it up.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
That's offensive - take out the name and insert woman. It's misogynistic at best.
I would be glad to edit the post. Sorry to have offended you. Can you tell me how to edit? I don't see the button in the post anywhere.

Again, my apologies.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I used to watch the food network everyday, but think many of the programs are over kill. I never was crazy over Giada, but she isn't over kill as much as Guy and originally Rachael. Right now, if I am in the mood to watch, I like programs liked: chopped and the future stars type or worst cooks;something entertaining. I do enjoy Pioneer Woman as well. There are a few others, but the channel needs some new faces and new ideas.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
After reading this thread, maybe I am happy that I do not have a TV.

The hardest people to watch on the Food Network (when I am in a hotel) are the Barefoot Contessa and one of the original food show hosts - David Rosengarten. Their programs reek of total snobbery.

The MOST enjoyable show was Sara Moulton's Cooking Live. She produced recipes with a reasonable number of ingredients that were reasonably easy to prepare. She was one of the few chefs - Curtis Aikens being the other - who inspired you to get into the kitchen and cook.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Giada is a trained chef. She went to Le Cordon Bleu.

Giada De Laurentiis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link:

De Laurentiis studied at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris,[1][3] with aspirations of becoming a pastry chef; she is a self-proclaimed chocoholic. After returning to the United States, she became a professional chef working in several Los Angeles restaurants, notably the Wolfgang Puck-owned Spago. She later worked as a food stylist and was contacted by the Food Network after styling a piece in Food & Wine Magazine in 2002.
Oops...well I guess I learned something today. I just assumed she was hired because of her connections and hooters, I guess.

I love Lidia B, I want her to adopt me. I would love to spend the holidays at her house!.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:48 AM

We ate at Guy's restaurant in Santa Rosa (the original one) and it was not a good experience. The restaurant was so noisy, you couldn't hear the people at your own table without shouting (and it wasn't even crowded??). It was also freezing cold in there, and since I like spicy dishes I ordered one and it was so hot (spicy) that it was inedible, even by a fire-eater like me.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
After reading this thread, maybe I am happy that I do not have a TV.

The hardest people to watch on the Food Network (when I am in a hotel) are the Barefoot Contessa and one of the original food show hosts - David Rosengarten. Their programs reek of total snobbery.

The MOST enjoyable show was Sara Moulton's Cooking Live. She produced recipes with a reasonable number of ingredients that were reasonably easy to prepare. She was one of the few chefs - Curtis Aikens being the other - who inspired you to get into the kitchen and cook.
Sarah was the editor of Gourmet or Bon Appetit (can't remember which) magazine at one time. I always loved her show. She makes everything seem simple and doesn't get all snobby on you.

Martin Yan was fun (although he drove me crazy with his "tiny bit of..." every other sentence). I met him and have an autographed copy of his cookbook. Nice guy, but his accent was much less in person than on his show....curious.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:06 PM

372 posts, read 723,623 times
Giada seems to be more interesting and likable when interacting with other FN hosts. Especially when wine is involved......

Ina's attachment to Jeffrey this, Jeffrey that...Jeffrey Jeffrey Jeffrey, cracks me up.

As for that tribble on meth with too much bling, if I see him stick his dickbeaters into one more food item being prepared for others, I think I'm going to go ballistic. If you haven't noticed, just watch.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
"Save the liver!!!"

My favorite Cooking host:

Dan Akroyd playing Julia Child on SNL..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink