Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

50 lb sack of flour $10

2 lb block of yeast $12

1 lb salt $.79

Boom. You'll be swimming in bread for pennies a loaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,332 times
2 bucks a gallon... Are you folks not connected to an underground water pipe???? It's been around for a few years in most places and it goes for about $1.00 for a few 100 gallon....

Rumor has it that in some homes there is a hot and cold water line... Just rumors.. can't believe everything off course.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
This is the trend now, more and more fru-fru foods for the folks that are willing to pay the extra price. This fru-fru trend is doing a BIG invasion of "regular" grocery stores....and it pulls the price of ALL of the food up.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Businesses either respond to demographic shifts, or they go belly up. Sounds like the OP is outnumbered. We've got an old, outdated grocery down the street that is poorly positioned to succeed in the market. They're down-market in what is now an up-market neighborhood, and the locals drive right on by in pursuit of a better shopping experience. The corporation refuses to put any money into the store, so it's circling the drain, which is sad to see, but if they had done their research and kept up, they probably would have retained their customer base.
this is a very good point,

I use to sell grocery stores and this is a major issue- no upgrades, and customer base is die-ing off, not going after younger generations. or adapting to shifting buying habits

the upside is if they could sell to someone who can invest in the local market, make it appealing , then they may have something

im not opposed to change, I was part of a co-op that promoted maine farms and buying local fresh food products

the issue I had was when a professional marketing person started putting down an entire industry to promote this newer co-op.
"you guys are slow up here, you need to scare people into buying our products, fear is the biggest and deepest motivator"

the propaganda started and hasn't stopped, the half-truths and feel good marketing

Old 02-04-2015, 10:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
50 lb sack of flour $10

2 lb block of yeast $12

1 lb salt $.79

That would lead to a lot of dangerous blunt instruments for me.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 PM

342 posts, read 437,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
50 lb sack of flour $10

2 lb block of yeast $12

1 lb salt $.79

Exactly. I bake my own healthy bread from whole wheat flour. I cant afford to pay $5 or $6 for their healthy bread.... but want to eat healthy.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
The town I'm in is like the OP's, except we have 3 Albertson's and 2 Smith's, in terms of conventional grocers. We have a small neighborhood specialty grocer. There's Trader Joe's. But there are two Whole Foods stores (within 3 blocks of each other. One was a Wild Oats that WF took over), a food co-op, two Sunshine grocery stores, which is some kind of health food/organic food store, and Natural Foods Grocery, formerly Vitamin Cottage, which has the best prices. All this, in a town of 70,000. (And that's not counting WalMart.) I haven't heard anything about Albertson's closing--are they only closing in certain regions? It's very popular here.

The gallon jugs of water at our WF cost the same as in any other store.

A manager at one of the WF told me the chain is expanding, and going into smaller towns. Both stores in my town do a booming business, in spite of being within 3 blocks of each other. I have the feeling that if they'd open a store across town, that one would be booming, too. I don't know why a relatively small town needs so many grocery stores. The Sunshine stores don't seem to get much traffic, I'm guessing they'll be the first to go. All the other stores have been in town forever, and are well-trafficked. They seem to be keeping up. If I were Albertson's, though, I'd close 1 of the stores. 2 of their stores are in the same part of town, so they could consolidate.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Albertsons and Safeway have either recently completed or are in the last stage of a merger. (I can't keep up!) In advance of the merger, the companies shed a total of 150 stores or so to four different buyers. News sources place the closings in California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, and the Pacific Northwest. I think Safeway has been trouble for awhile. Kroger-owned King Soopers is the dominant tradional supermarket here in Colorado, and I think that is unlikely to change. The last Albertsons near me closed several years ago and is now a natural foods store. King Soopers seems to be thriving, but it would be unwise to let down its guard.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,150 times
You must live in a rich person's city. One a city gets a lot of rich people everyone starts catering to them.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 AM

738 posts, read 998,886 times
Wish I didn't have to drive 55 minutes one way to get to one.

I guess we all have our complaints.

RVcook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink