Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
We might start buying our meat at Whole Foods. The quality definitely beats Walmart, and we don't eat that much of it to break our budget.
If you have a Costco nearby they have much better quality meat than Walmart or most traditional supermarkets. Whole Foods meat is pretty good, but at the prices they charge you can go to a dedicated butcher and get much better quality for less.

I'm still a little unclear on what the OP means by "health food" stores. I'm assuming Whole Foods or something similar. Even Whole Foods has plenty of good non-organic produce at decent prices, and a lot of the newer chains that are carrying organic are basically just adding it to what an Albertsons/Safeway/Jewel would carry and simply re-branding a lot of things. The prices and products aren't wildly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I am aware of only one butcher closer to me than Whole Foods, and they're way more expensive! Whole Foods has full-service meat, poultry, and seafood departments with knowledgeable and helpful employees, who will cut my selections exactly the way I prefer them. That's good enough for me.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The answer is simple. SUPPORt YOUR LOCAL FOOD STORES, not the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's of the world.
I see you live next to tiny Arcata, which has two excellent large healthfood stores. I used to love hanging out at Wildberries, and sometimes the co-op one too.

Similar situation in Mt Shasta City, population about 5000, two very good (but smaller) healthfood stores, one medium supermarket, and one smaller grocery store.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:10 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The answer is simple. SUPPORt YOUR LOCAL FOOD STORES, not the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's of the world.
I don't put these two in the same category. Trader Joe's is much more reasonable than Whole Foods, and WF carries many more products.

The only thing I don't like about Trader Joe's is that the produce is often sub-par, at least in mine.

The other store I shop in is Acme, which I think is the same company as the Albertson's that other people on here mentioned. They are reasonably priced and a "normal" supermarket. A&P is across the street from them, and pricier with less quality, IMO.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't put these two in the same category. Trader Joe's is much more reasonable than Whole Foods, and WF carries many more products.

The only thing I don't like about Trader Joe's is that the produce is often sub-par, at least in mine.

The other store I shop in is Acme, which I think is the same company as the Albertson's that other people on here mentioned. They are reasonably priced and a "normal" supermarket. A&P is across the street from them, and pricier with less quality, IMO.
I think this is a problem for all TJ's. And why on earth must every piece of produce be encased in nonrecyclable plastic wrap and polystyrene?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
More mark-up, lots more profit on health food. You just have to convince people....and a fool and his money soon part ways.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:24 PM

Eh, I think people are foolish for buying big houses and expensive cars. We all have our thing. I can't take it with me, so I might as well buy food I enjoy. Even with organic everything, I still spend a lower percentage our our family earnings on groceries than the average American. Give me the Icelandic cod at $16/lb! I have no interest in a $20k home theater.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:24 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
What the **** is going on with this ****?

I just learned that my trusty old Albertson's right down the street from me is now turning into yet ANOTHER freaking health food store. This makes FIVE IN ONE TOWN OF 56,000 PEOPLE. FIVE HEALTH FOOD STORES.

I'm not against people eating healthy. I *AM* however, against paying 5.69 for a loaf of bread or 7.29 for a block of cheese. Screw that.

If I was rich, I would probably buy groceries from these stores all the time, but I'm not. I need to buy regular "unhealthy" groceries because I don't have a lot of money. So **** the health food stores taking over and severely limiting the places us poor people can go to buy normal food.
You can still buy regular Healthy food at a regular supermarket. You don't have to waste your money on Junk food and it doesn't have to be organic. But I do agree health food stores can be more expensive. We have a wild by nature about 10 minutes from me, haven't checked it out though. There's also a whole foods but it's like 1/2 hour away. We have trader Joes but that's also 1/2 hour away.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
More mark-up, lots more profit on health food. You just have to convince people....and a fool and his money soon part ways.
did I hear you say that there must be a catch when you walk away from a fool and his money......

excellent post

Old 02-05-2015, 07:50 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
It's not the "health food stores" as the OP calls them putting grocers out of business, its Walmart. When I was a kid, we had A&P, Community Cash, WinnDixie, BiLo, Foodtown, not to mention several small locals, all within a town of about 8000. In fact the WinnDixie, Community Cash, and BiLo were pretty much within a block of each other. Now it's pretty much as choice of Walmart, Walmart, or how about Walmart. I'd love to have a Publix or even a Whole Foods just for something other than Walmart once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink