Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 PM

677 posts, read 673,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post

A burrito? I assume the photo makes it look bigger than it is...
The burritos where we eat in South Philly really are that large. Me and my g/f share one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My sister, normally regular weight and very pretty, is now
120 pounds overweight.

She has never been to a fast food place and isn't into sugar.
BUT, the rice, cous cous salads, pasta, fresh warm Italian breads...
biscuits with roasted garlic pork and gravy...restaurant hamburgers in the buns...
scallops wrapped in bacon at 11 pm in front of the TV!
Breakfast... at restaurant pancakes and a cinnamon roll when she visits.
The carbs!!

(Never went to therapy for her incest)

It is portions...she admits that part.
I don't get the comment about incest. Are you saying that b/c of the incest, she eats unhealthy portions? Just trying to clarify?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
You know, I don't think I've ever met a Brit who wasn't pasty and doughy.

Good thing they don't have such great American food at their disposal 24/7.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Because America has fried chicken, cornbread, sweet potato fries, fajitas, BBQ, steak, cheesecake, key lime pie, hushpuppies, philly cheesesteak, NY slice, candied yams, alcapurrias, etc. In Britain they have mashed potato that tastes like paper, kidneys wrapped in g-d knows what, overcooked vegetables, and wall-colored peas. Of course Britain has a much lower obesity rate, it's because people would rather starve than eat the food there! Jacques Chirac was not wrong to criticize it

Old 02-06-2015, 06:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Is this Kate (not the royal Kate)? Saw "Fat and Back" on TV. I totally agree with her!

Old 02-06-2015, 06:46 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
I spend a lot of time in the UK due to family living there and it is a little hypocritical to complain about Americans being heavier as the UK does have its share of heavy people.

But I will have to concede that while the UK has overweight people, there seems to be a higher proportion of genuinely obese people in the US which you rarely see in the UK. So there is that difference. As we know, there is a difference between being overweight, very overweight and obese. The UK has many of the first, some of the second and few of the latter. The US unfortunately has many of all three.

And it is also true that UK portion sizes are smaller than in the US.

The changes in food portions in the US in my lifetime has been astonishing, as others have already mentioned. When I compare the sizes of dishes and cutlery we inherited from my parents and used in my childhood, with brand new versions, the difference is noticeable. Huge coffee mugs didn't exist back then. Plates were smaller. Cups were smaller. Glasses were smaller. Packaged food was in smaller bags. Remember the small bags of potato chips with about 12 chips in them? Cokes served in small glass bottles? When McDonalds used to have a "Small" serving size?

It's pure gluttony. It's too easy to blame it on corn syrup but it's always been down to food portions and control. When I look at the people around me, the trim and fit are those who eat only three balanced meals a day and get plenty of exercise, and what they eat seems to make no difference. They rarely snack. Once in a while they will have a special, high calorific meal at a restaurant, but not only a daily or weekly basis. Many of these people will happily have a slice of cake or a cookie or two for dessert daily, but never in huge portions.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Wife and I ate last night at an upscale seafood chain. The "vegetable" was couscous. And they asked what kind of potato I'd like with that.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Portions and server pay is why we never go out to eat. Both SHAMEFUL.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The main problem with American is that being fat is the norm. People don't think it's unhealthy to be overweight anymore.

When you have marketing that promotes size 12-14 being the norm and be happy that you fit the majority then you forget that being overweight has health risks.

When you're 20-35 and being overweight your body can manage. When you're overweight into your 40s and older that is when you see those people with leg and hip problems, constantly couldn't catch their breath or must see the Doctor all the time and must be on high blood pressure meds.

It catches up to you.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:33 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The main problem with American is that being fat is the norm. People don't think it's unhealthy to be overweight anymore.

When you have marketing that promotes size 12-14 being the norm and be happy that you fit the majority then you forget that being overweight has health risks.

When you're 20-35 and being overweight your body can manage. When you're overweight into your 40s and older that is when you see those people with leg and hip problems, constantly couldn't catch their breath or must see the Doctor all the time and must be on high blood pressure meds.

It catches up to you.
Agreed 100000%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink