Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

I have always appreciated everything my mother prepared for us growing-up. The only thing I didn't care for, she didn't like either - those cans of chop suey over crunchy noodles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
Cow tounge! My mother made that for us several times, and it was hideous looking sitting there on the platter, curled up at the end and brown. I didn't want any, but she made me eat it. I was appalled that I would have to eat something that was going to be tasting me back!

Ewwwwww.....

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I don't buy that. My mother grew up in post WWII France...and yes you ate what was set in front of you...but parents still knew what they kids liked or hated. If a parent can't know that...then there is a larger issue that has nothing to do with food or poverty.
The only way my mother would know if we liked it or not, is if she asked. And she didn't do that often, at least beyond asking my father his opinion.

We were raised with the idea that if you didn't like something, it was ok, but it was not ok to say so. My dislike of certain foods was no more valid than my siblings appreciation of the same. It's rude to criticize a meal that's been prepared for you, and uncomfortable for those you are eating with. Have you never been annoyed by a child, a guest in your house, going "ew" when dinner is served?

Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The only way my mother would know if we liked it or not, is if she asked. And she didn't do that often, at least beyond asking my father his opinion.

We were raised with the idea that if you didn't like something, it was ok, but it was not ok to say so. My dislike of certain foods was no more valid than my siblings appreciation of the same. It's rude to criticize a meal that's been prepared for you, and uncomfortable for those you are eating with. Have you never been annoyed by a child, a guest in your house, going "ew" when dinner is served?
yes,,,the over-dramatic "ewwwwwwwws"

the eww & ick people,,, can be annoying..

Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
Grilled cheesed with mayo on the inside. Yuck, I just want cheese and bread. Have heard you can put mayo on the outside but not on the inside.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
My mother's answer to chili. She'd brown a pound of hamburger and pour on a can of beans and tomatoes. I would have eaten that, but she proceeded to add a lot of chili powder and hot sauce. I used to cry every time it was chili night. I was supposed to eat everything on my plate.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Having manners is one thing.. not being able to express to your own parents that you dislike a food simply as a matter of taste is quite another.

I'm not sure how you would ever confuse the two.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
There wasn't any food that was prepared for me that I didn't like but liver. I tasted it once and didn't like it, and my mom never tried to force me to eat it. She rarely cooked it after that.

I was never forced to eat anything I didn't like.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yes,,,the over-dramatic "ewwwwwwwws"

the eww & ick people,,, can be annoying..
Yes, they can be and I certainly never allowed that at my table. However there is nothing that is impolite with politely expressing your dislike to a parent about a certain food. Yes, it can be done rudely but it doesn't have to be.

And as parents we should strive to teach our kids how politely decline something graciously and make their tastes known.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:24 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Fried Spam and SOS (**** on a Shingle) creamed chipped beef sandwiches. Gag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink