Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 03:46 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times

Advertisements

Sous vide seems to be all the rage right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 04:26 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's probably a good answer Parnassia.

Another thing I've noticed is that lots of newer model toaster ovens have an air fryer capability, at least if you're willing to spend $100 for a toaster oven instead of $50. I have no idea if a separate air fryer + basic toaster over = more than fancier toaster oven that does both, but at least you'd reclaim some counter space.
I have a Hamilton Beach air fryer/toaster oven. It has its uses, but plain toast is not one of them.

Time to make nicely browned toast:

The above appliance: 7 minutes
The top oven of my dual electric oven: 5 minutes (actually four minutes and forty four seconds)
A small plain pop-up $10 toaster: 3.5 minutes

As an aside, toasters that I bought in the 1970s were 1,000 watts. In the 1990s - 800 watts. The one I bought this year - 700 watts. Toast used to be almost instantaneous. No more.

Trendy kitchen gadgets? Anything by Ron Popeil. Juicers. Salad spinners. Plastic pasta makers. Waffle makers. Apple peelers. Panini presses. Those giant backyard propane grills.

Old 10-22-2022, 04:28 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I love my crockpot and would never get rid of it. I don’t have many kitchen gadgets.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:18 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
sensitive digital thermometer.
Best gift I didn’t think I needed.
I’m also using my apple corer/wedge cutter a lot now that apples are in season.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:12 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,133,584 times
Stuff I use a lot: Crock Pot, food processor, blender, basic toaster oven.
New and haven't tried yet: Bread machine.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:06 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I've broken my promise to myself to not buy anymore cooking things. But the other day I saw I had a lot of points on my Amazon account and decided to treat myself with a few inexpensive items.

I bought a new, sturdy pastry cutter to replace my second-generation one from Mom which has seen better days. Sure would like to see some of you cut your pastry with two forks, a skill I don't have.

A small nonstick crepe pan with a good heat resistant handle.

And the thing I can't wait to try out for Christmas - an embossed rolling pin for cookies.

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Rol...Q%3D%3D&sr=8-2

I see it's gone up three dollars since I ordered one.

I'm reading up on all the tips. Can see it might be more of a challenge than I first expected.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:22 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Rice cooker is mandatory in my kitchen although not sure if that's considered a gadget. The horizontal (right angle) potato peelers were a game changer when they came out. I will never go back to the straight style. That little doodad that slices boiled eggs into perfect slices is a winner as well.

When I got my immersion blender I started using it for potato soup and some other soups that contained potatoes. I noticed something was off with the taste and texture and I learned that it was because the blender was tearing the starch molecules and releasing starch and making the potatoes more gummy and less tasty. My potato soup returned to it's former glory when I switched back to just mashing some of them by hand after they were cooked.

Is parchment paper a gadget? It's replaced a lot of tinfoil in my cooking.

Old 10-27-2022, 07:00 AM

2,345 posts, read 614,301 times
I couldn't get to that link - so I googled it

I added a lot of little gadgets to my Christmas Wish list.

I already have air fryer and Instant Pot - immersion blender - so my wish list has a fair amount of inexpensive gadgets.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
what caused trendy kitchen gadgets before social media?
Magazine articles, magazine advertisements, TV ads, point-of-purchase displays and demonstrations ... etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have to admit I'm a sucker for many kitchen gadgets and small appliances. But at least I usually USE them!
Same. I have specialized gadgets upon gadgets that I use for home canning and usually not for anything else - apple wedger, apple peeler/slicer, tomato corer, Foley food mill, funnels that measure headspace, that little magnet wand that picks up the lids, racks, jars, and steamers, and pots and kettles ... !

Glad I never fell for the spiralizer! No room on the shelves with all the canning stuff. LOL

Old 06-17-2023, 10:29 AM

12,440 posts, read 9,529,208 times
My kind of kitchen gadget - simple, and with no electric motor. This simple juicer is inexpensive and well-designed. It will get a lot more juice out of a lemon or an orange (or a lime I suppose) than you'd get by cutting it in wedges and squeezing them in your hand. Just cut the fruit across in half and rotate back and forth on this thingie while squeezing on it, and the seeds and pulp are caught in the top part while the juice goes down into the bottom part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House