Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
We cook the soup with skin and bones but before serving we take the meat out, discard skin and bones, strain the broth, re-season if needed, and add the shredded meat and veggies (so they won't have had a chance to overcook into mush). Then while that's reheating, we make the noodles (usually angel hair pasta) in a separate pot. We serve the soup over the noodles. Great. Don't forget the lemon.
yes, that is similar to our method, but I do like to use noodles. Hubby would prefer the angel hair pasta I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,179,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
who taught you to cook?

i do well with cooking but my mother also showed me lots of things in the kitchen growing up

Basics from my mother. In the last 4 years or so i have learned plenty watching cooking shows like Julia, Sara Moulton, Jacques Pepin, Patis Mexican Table, Rick Bayless, Simply Ming. and others.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I cooked for a family for a looonnnngggg time. I'm tired of cooking. But I do like to eat so I have to. Cook, that is.

I understand the basics and I tend to stick to them. I'm not into the whole "foodie" scene where everything has to have a spice/herb/sauce added, or some garnish for "presentation". While I know how, I don't care to.

My two eldest sons are amazing cooks. One of them earned his living in a restaurant. One of my sons is a firefighter and they all know how to cook! The other two have managed to survive so they must cook something sometimes.

If you can read, there is no excuse for not knowing how to cook. Just make sure you have a good, reliable cookbook that features basic recipes that don't call for a lot of exotic ingredients. Once you have established a repertoire of dishes, you can move on if you feel so inclined but at least you'll have the ability to survive on something other than take-out or pizza delivery!

I disagree that you have to be able to read to learn to cook. Just watch the cooking shows on PBS. You will learn if you pay attention. Watch the sames shows over when they rerun them.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Eh? Eh? What? That's a vicious lie.

I grilled up a couple of nice fat filet mignons for supper last night (with the outside temp at just about zero, which made things just a little tricky.

For sides- baby peas with pearl onions and mushrooms (for the Mrs., plain for me), baby carrots with a brown sugar/cinnamon glaze, and mashed potatoes with onions, sage, savory, garlic, parsley, and pepper. Oh, and a fresh raspberry reduction with just a hint of chili pepper as a sauce for the steaks.

And, no, none of it was 'nuke & eat'.

Actually, I started learning to cook when I took 'Home Ec' in jr. high, in the 1970s when I was about 11. Hey, where else was a young computer/electronics geek/nerd going to be able to get himself together with the chicks? The jocks all laughed at a boy taking home ec back then, but the joke was on them...

I tried the same thing my Junior year. Go learn to cook and be with a bunch of girls. What a neat plan we had. The school counselor nixed the idea and told me that i was flippant and on the edge of impertinence.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I started cooking when I was a child. One of the first things I learned to make was pork chops, browned and layered with sliced potatoes, onions, and creamed corn. (Nebraskan food.) I helped bake cookies and cinnamon rolls and pies. When I was a teenager, I made dinner a few nights a week while my mom was in dance class. I started collecting cookbooks and trying new things. I got a job after high school, spent my own money on groceries, and made things like bouillabaise and paella. I married a man who made concoctions like "spaghetti eggs" ... hork.

There's a lot more to cooking than reading a recipe. I've been cooking for more than 30 years. I am adept now at timing everything to finish at once (difficult to do with multiple dishes going) and figuring out how to make a big Thanksgiving meal by myself with one oven. I use my sense of smell a lot, from seasoning a dish to knowing when it's done. Most of what I make now doesn't come from a recipe, and I can't always remember how I made it because I created it just then. How much basil did I add? Until it smelled right. How long did I cook it? Until it was done.

And I rarely use salt. Let your taste buds readjust to what food tastes like. You only think it needs salt because you are used to salty food. Same with sugar.
My mother did it with one oven from day one and the 7 kids and family visiting.

"make a big Thanksgiving meal by myself with one oven."

Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Basics from my mother. In the last 4 years or so i have learned plenty watching cooking shows like Julia, Sara Moulton, Jacques Pepin, Patis Mexican Table, Rick Bayless, Simply Ming. and others.
Actually considering all the years I have been cooking, and my major was foods and nutrition you wouldn't think I was still learning from the cooking shows, but I am. Both spoiled brat and I love Sara Moulton. She got us hooked on food network, but that was years ago. She has been gone from the network for about 8 years I am guessing.

Talking about ovens, though there were not 7 kids, we too managed to cook and bake including great holiday dinners using just one oven, no micros and not a very big fridge. I think some people today, including myself are spoiled. We have every kitchen toy we can afford, we have micros, electric roasters, crock pots, etc. I have to admit, it does make things more fun and easier. Heck when we were growing up, we would have Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner for maybe 10 or 12 of us and never even had it pot luck or bring a side dish. Grandma did usually bring a pie, that was it. we did it all, from appetizers and before dinner drinks, to the complete dinner and after dinner whatever.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,244,209 times
I also have friends that don't even put salt in pasta or potatoes...not
even when mashing them for Thanksgiving....
laughing and they are always so terrible!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,581,550 times
Quote:

That's great! I had to teach myself because I grew up in a kitchen with two ovens and a big family where everybody brought multiple dishes. Nobody had to make all of it.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
We roasted chicken with vegetables Sunday night, made stock with the bones after we were done, shredded up some of the leftover meat to make tacos yesterday, and today, are using the stock and leftover meat to make chicken and noodles. Yum!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM

32,801 posts, read 36,059,005 times
Quote:

Didn't everyone do that back then? When my mother married, she learned how to cook using a coal stove. She had an ice box, too. I didn't have a microwave until the early '90s.

When I was six, my twelve year old sister asked me to teach her how to fry an egg. I was nice; I did. Then I had to teach her how to make coffee... then oatmeal. I used to get up during the school year and make my dad's morning coffee in the stove top percolator. Well, my brother and I would take turns. Who would put a six year old in charge of that? That'd probably be considered a form of child abuse now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink