Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:47 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times

Advertisements

Right now, I have more than 2 avocados that need my attention. I have beef stew I need to eat, made 2 days ago. I have mushrooms that need to be eaten before they go bad.

OK, I know what you might say: freeze the stew. I have always had freezer-phobia, probably because my mom didn't freeze right and whatever came out of there was gross to me.

Would I put the stew in a standard Ziploc-type container, then in the freezer, then pop in microwave when ready to be eaten? Does it need to sit out for a bit before going in the microwave to avoid temperature shock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 02:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
get a Food Saver for freezing and the fridge as well.
Once out of the freezer you can thaw if you like or do a nice slow reheat on the stove.
I never use the microwave for thawing, actually I don't use the microwave.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I usually freeze things in ziplock bags, then thaw them in the fridge. Thawing the bag in a bowl of water in the fridge makes it thaw more quickly.

You can also freeze your mushrooms.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM

So are you guys saying the Ziploc container is a no-go? I don't understand how/why people pour liquid substances in bags?? And then how would it be heated up?? Forgive my cluelessness! I guess what I'm asking, is since I'm new to this freezing thing, my idea right now is that I can put something that won't get eaten soon enough into the freezer, but then when I want it, I want it NOW and want to be able to heat it up like I would a Lean Cuisine-type meal.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
So are you guys saying the Ziploc container is a no-go? I don't understand how/why people pour liquid substances in bags?? And then how would it be heated up?? Forgive my cluelessness!
yes use the Ziploc bag,,, to freeze,,

then to thaw,,,,place in fridge to thaw or in cold water in the sink

to heat up ....... take stew out of Ziploc bag ....in pan on the stove

here is a tip to cleanly put things in Ziploc bags that are messy

take a plastic disposable, or Styrofoam cup,,,the kind you get coffee in from a store,,,cut the bottom off and use as a funnel,, to pour/place contents in the bag

Old 10-02-2015, 03:38 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,291 times
Put the mushrooms in the stew, put the avo's in a salad or make some guacamole.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
They need to make those ziplock bags microwave safe.

I use em all the time to freeze portions.

And I defrost in microwave...no doubt leaking all sorts of toxins into my body...hey ho

Old 10-02-2015, 03:47 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Right now, I have more than 2 avocados that need my attention. I have beef stew I need to eat, made 2 days ago. I have mushrooms that need to be eaten before they go bad.

OK, I know what you might say: freeze the stew. I have always had freezer-phobia, probably because my mom didn't freeze right and whatever came out of there was gross to me.

Would I put the stew in a standard Ziploc-type container, then in the freezer, then pop in microwave when ready to be eaten? Does it need to sit out for a bit before going in the microwave to avoid temperature shock?
I think freezing the stew in a ziplock bag works out great. Suck out all the air and lay it flat in the freezer. LABEL IT with a marker. You must get over your phobia. The best way to do this is to rearrange your thinking. I think of the delicious meals in my freezer like a free pass to a yummy dinner with no work involved.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Put the mushrooms in the stew, put the avo's in a salad or make some guacamole.
I did make some guac and had it for lunch today.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:08 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
I freeze in the ziplok containers - I agree they are easier to handle than a bag. When I'm ready to use, I let it sit out for a few minutes on the counter and then slide out the frozen block into a glass bowl and use the microwave to defrost and then reheat - I try not to use plastic in the microwave when possible.

Make sure to use the defrost feature and then the reheating feature. They use different power levels than cooking and the food comes out better that way and not over cooked. And for something like stew, you will need to break it apart and stir a few times throughout the process for the best results.

btw, depending how you plan to use them later, you can freeze avocados.

Freezing Avocados: You Should Definitely Do This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink