Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:54 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am not snipping the ends of the claw either, my fish monger said not too. But I do need to know if I take the bands off the claw after they are cooked or before.
It really doesn't matter. I remove the bands after but it really makes no difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
It really doesn't matter. I remove the bands after but it really makes no difference
Taste one of those bands - they're rather bitter.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:00 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Taste one of those bands - they're rather bitter.
If you ask the stores to do the steaming, they will keep the band on. But, I guess I should taken off those bands next time prior to cooking it myself.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Did he say why not? Otherwise, you get a plate full of water.
soft shells have much more juice than hardshells, and they should be hard shells this time of year, so more meat and less juice in the claws

I drink the juice anyways , so its not a problem

Old 02-14-2015, 05:29 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
soft shells have much more juice than hardshells, and they should be hard shells this time of year, so more meat and less juice in the claws

I drink the juice anyways , so its not a problem
I admit, I'm not an expert between hard shell and soft, but the "juice" is I think just cooking water.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
There was a lot of juice in the plate from the entire lobster. I think I could have cooked it a bit longer because the meat did not seem and firm. Still tasty though. These were females and had a lot of egg sacs which hubby enjoyed.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:48 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I admit, I'm not an expert between hard shell and soft, but the "juice" is I think just cooking water.
here's some lobster quick-facts

lobsters shed once a year when they are young,,,it takes about 4-5 yrs to weigh one lb

when they shed, their shell breaks and they slither out of it, they are very soft and leathery and vulnerable at this time, their shells start to harden, now they are considered soft -shells, or sheddars, its a larger shell so they are growing into it- while growing, their shells aren't full, but they have much juice in the shells too..... over a few months the shells will harden and they will grow into them,,,more meat and less juice

the largest lobster on record is 44lbs, they estimated it to be about 150 yrs old

maine is the largest producer of north American lobsters - the average catch use to be 60-80 million lbs a decade ago, now its well over 100 million lbs , there natural enemies are fewer, so
the populations are doing well.

lubby, im glad you liked the lobsters!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
here's some lobster quick-facts

lobsters shed once a year when they are young,,,it takes about 4-5 yrs to weigh one lb

when they shed, their shell breaks and they slither out of it, they are very soft and leathery and vulnerable at this time, their shells start to harden, now they are considered soft -shells, or sheddars, its a larger shell so they are growing into it- while growing, their shells aren't full, but they have much juice in the shells too..... over a few months the shells will harden and they will grow into them,,,more meat and less juice

the largest lobster on record is 44lbs, they estimated it to be about 150 yrs old

maine is the largest producer of north American lobsters - the average catch use to be 60-80 million lbs a decade ago, now its well over 100 million lbs , there natural enemies are fewer, so
the populations are doing well.

lubby, im glad you liked the lobsters!
Wow, I miss New England. Here in the south the stores have very small lobsters for about $15. a pound, so we do not get them. My sister in MA gets them really cheap at her grocery store and they cook them for free.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
The last cookbook I read about it says to stab the lobster in the head before dunking it in the boiling water. I wouldn't be able to boil it alive.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The last cookbook I read about it says to stab the lobster in the head before dunking it in the boiling water. I wouldn't be able to boil it alive.
I could sooner dunk it in boiling water than stab it in the head. I don't like stabbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink