Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
however, as we were leaving I let her go ahead of me so I could take a moment to dump all liquid on the table and make as big a mess as I could. Childish, yes, but I still don't care.
Wow... you really showed the buss boy... who probably had nothing to do with the situation.

They were probably thankful to not have your business anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,361,844 times
Why are you offended about being asked to leave when you were finished with your meal, and had paid? Don't most normal people at that point just leave once paying, without being asked?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Wow... you really showed the buss boy... who probably had nothing to do with the situation.

They were probably thankful to not have your business anymore.
Not one of my finer moments. But I took delight in knowing that they couldn't seat that table for a good while (that's how big a mess it was), and the waiter lost his tip.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Not one of my finer moments. But I took delight in knowing that they couldn't seat that table for a good while (that's how big a mess it was), and the waiter lost his tip.
Delightful indeed... Not only did you punish the busboy for something he had nothing to do with, but you made the waiter pay to wait on you when it was probably the manager or host that was pushing for the table to be turned over. Not a story I would ever want to tell anyone about. I'd be embarrassed if I acted in such a way.

I don't even see what was so horrible about the experience. The server gave you your bill when you were finished with your drinks?! How horrible of them. And then while you were gone your friend decided to pick a fight with the server... and because of this you decided to trash the table for the poor busboy to clean up? All so that they had to wait an extra few seconds to seat the table again? Strange....

Old 02-16-2015, 05:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Holy s***, sorry...but, you are kidding me!

Ok...I am a letter writer...I would be writing to the owner...who has
no idea this happened...

I do not fault the restaurant ...the hostess was wrong...for whatever reason...
she was not trained well.

God, employees do so much harm to an honest owner trying to make a living!

A letter sent at a later date is not the same as calling attention to it as it happens. Always ask for a manager in these cases if you have any problem in a restaurant. A manager of any business is who you call on - it is his/her job to take the heat. You don't shoot the waiter or cook; go for the manager as he can comp your meals or lube you up with free drinks.

Those who work in restaurants refer to those who linger as campers as they sit and drink hot water w/lemon far past their time and tables don't get turned over. 2 1/2 hours for a $200 check is cool; especially if the customers tip 15-20%. I would have raised my voice and included the dollar amount in my conversation with the manager.
The last thing a restaurant manager wants is a loud customer complaining about service after spending $$$. Other patrons take it poorly and business suffers. Throw in words like 'roaches' and 'hair' in your food and they want to shrink because all eyes are on them.

Been on both ends of it and the customer usually makes out.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
As a server, this is always tricky. One person "finishing up" is another person's "camping at the table". Generally, restaurants allot a certain amount of time to a table (for a two-top, this is generally 1.5- 2 hours) and barring any major service issues that delay food, have to start to nudge people (though there are certainly more subtle ways to do it than described in the OP) at some point. For every customer who gets offended by being rushed, there is another party who is being made to wait for their reserved table.

As for people taking their aggravation out on the staff and who take a special glee in stiffing a server, I'll just say that not every customer is a valued customer.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Holy s***, sorry...but, you are kidding me!

Ok...I am a letter writer...I would be writing to the owner...who has
no idea this happened...

I do not fault the restaurant ...the hostess was wrong...for whatever reason...
she was not trained well.

God, employees do so much harm to an honest owner trying to make a living!
And what about honest employees dealing with a dishonest/difficult owner? Your comment is very stilted..

Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why didn't you speak to the manager at the time this happened?
Should have but may have been too stunned at the effrontery attitude of the hostess. I would contact the manager and if I wasn't satisfied, I would bad mouth the restaurant every chance I got.....lol

Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Delightful indeed... Not only did you punish the busboy for something he had nothing to do with, but you made the waiter pay to wait on you when it was probably the manager or host that was pushing for the table to be turned over. Not a story I would ever want to tell anyone about. I'd be embarrassed if I acted in such a way.

I don't even see what was so horrible about the experience. The server gave you your bill when you were finished with your drinks?! How horrible of them. And then while you were gone your friend decided to pick a fight with the server... and because of this you decided to trash the table for the poor busboy to clean up? All so that they had to wait an extra few seconds to seat the table again? Strange....
We were NOT quite done with our drinks (as noted in my first post). And when he gave us the bill he also told us that we should leave because of the line waiting. You don't do that.

I once waited tables, and I can tell you without a moment's doubt that if I had told a table of patrons to leave just because others were waiting, I'd have gotten fired - unless they were obnoxious drunks. You just don't do that. And on Valentine's Day, most couples are at the restaurant to enjoy their special dinner and to rush them out the door is more than rude.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It was Valentine's Day, that's why. Most restaurants are all about table turnover on Valentine's Day, so I'm not surprised by this at all.
If that's true, it's bad business practices for restaurants. I wouldn't know, because gf and I make it a point never to go out to eat on Valentine's Day. We don't want to wait hours for a table or get lousy service due to diner overload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink