Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That is because cashiers can get written up when they're draw is over. What are they expected to do with your change if they can't put it in the drawer and they would also get in trouble if they were seen pocketing a customer's change?

Use it to make "neat" change? Give customers too much change back? That could also get them in trouble.

Just take your change and move along, you're really not doing the cashier any favors by leaving behind a few cents.
I realize that ... I just didn't always. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I don't look at the cash register's screen when I give back the change. If something costs $11.53 and they give me a $20, I -still- have to count the change - I mean - the register doesn't hand me the right amount of money. So I just count it out loud, UP instead of DOWN.

So - pennies and singles on the right, quarters and 20's on the left. Just like this:

"Fifty-three - fifty-four, fifty-five, sixty-five, seventy-five, twelve. Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and five is twenty."

And hand them first the change in their palm, then hold the bills out for them to take between their fingers.

How much does that change come to, total? Who cares. All that matters is, it adds up correctly to 20.

And if they say - after I've already opened the register, "oh wait - I have the three pennies!" I can say - no problem. "Fifty - seventy-five, twelve. Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and five is twenty." Because it's SO easy to subtract 3 cents from 53 cents and know that it equals 50 - which is 2 quarters.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I count it back that way too, Anon, but not the individual coins. "Forty-seven cents makes twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and five is twenty."

Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I took my family to an independent breakfast place like a Denny's. It's a place where you pay at the cashier at the front.

The bill came out to $59.30. 20% tip is $11.86, but I usually round it up to the next whole dollar amount because I hate coin change. so $71.16 total becomes $72.

The restaurant is a bit hectic and there are people waiting. So I ask the cashier "can you take a hundred", and he says "sure." I hand him the $100 and say "just give me back $28 dollars." He says "man your going to make me do math?"...
You were speaking to an idiot. It is more common these days, now that we employ our idiots as cashiers instead of having them turn a bolt on an assembly line. Sorry for speaking the blunt truth but there you go.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Yes, you were unreasonable and you asked the cashier to perform a duty that is outside his responsibility. It's your job to leave a tip, not the cashier's.

Furthermore, the cash register records every transaction and at the end of the shift must balance. You're setting the cashier up for possible accusations of theft because you were too lazy to walk the tip back to the table.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs9 View Post
I would just pay, get the change and leave the tip on the table. The cashier may or may not have been able to do the math but that is beside the point. Doing change manually is very simple...if you can count you can do change manually. If you hand me a $100.00 bill and the total came to $59.30 you just count up in coins to $60.00 then in bills to $100.00. Very simple. Figuring out 20%, 15% or whatever percentage is also just as easy.

However you are asking him to leave the tip out, put it aside then give it to the waiter/waitress. Where should he keep that cash?...in an envelope marked for that table? What if a lot of tables made the same request? Do you know if he has envelopes for keeping tips separate? It's not just the math you are asking him to do which should not be a problem but you are asking him to hold the tip for your waitstaff. If the restaurant got very busy it could easily get lost or he could forget to give it to the right person. You even said that the restaurant could get "hectic". Money could get lost in the confusion.

You are making it more complicated than merely figuring out math. It's a step up from a fast food place....just leave the tip on the table yourself.
This. Well said. Any other reply here about how the cashier wasn't too bright makes those posters sound unintelligent themselves, or too lazy to consider the full picture. So much easier to say "kids these days - so stoopid!", right? In what pay-at-the-cashier restaurant do you ever leave the tip for the server with the cashier? Think things through, people.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Wait, you paid $60.00 for breakfast??????

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times

We simply leave a tip on the table, then pay the bill on exiting.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
He said in the OP that he was out to breakfast with his entire family. My family has six people. A breakfast bill, even at a mom and pop, cash only place, would be AT LEAST $60.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I would let him do the extra step. There are people out there who purposefully try to confuse cashiers in order to scam money. Some business owners will train their employees to always go by what's on the register.

Flimflam Artists Victimize Cashiers In Berlin Township It's The Old "Two $10s For A $5" Scam. Police Are Urging Caution. - Philly.com
Exactly,
he's just trying to do his job and you were trying to rush him
not everybody is good at math.

A lot of times I could tell you the total off the top of my math... can everybody do that? no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink