Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You can train seals to carry plates of food to a table.

Anyway, I don't think it was the cashier's job to break-up the change into tip and returned change.
He should have just asked for some for some fives and ones so that he could leave a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Eh. Weve advanced our math skills and invented the calculator to do the simple tasks for us. Kids today may not be good at doing math in their head, but theyve learned calculus and can use complex formulas in Excel...

We also dont need to memorize random dates from history because we have the worlds entire encyclopedia in our cell phone...

I could....point out that you dont know grammar well enough to use you're in your heading...

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I took my family to an independent breakfast place like a Denny's. It's a place where you pay at the cashier at the front.

The bill came out to $59.30. 20% tip is $11.86, but I usually round it up to the next whole dollar amount because I hate coin change. so $71.16 total becomes $72.

The restaurant is a bit hectic and there are people waiting. So I ask the cashier "can you take a hundred", and he says "sure." I hand him the $100 and say "just give me back $28 dollars." He says "man your going to make me do math?" He's the cashier and he has a smile on his face so I think he's joking. He prints out a receipt and says "the total is $59.30 I'm going to give you $40.70 back." I had already calculated that he was likely going to have to make change for me for the tip (its hard to get to 12 dollars with any combo of change he was going to give me) so I though It would be time saving to just say give me $28 back. I asked him If he would like me to show him the math. He said "no I got it."

A quick chain of math 100-28-59.30= $12.70

$59.30 on the bill $12.70 to the server.

Then he muttered something and said "okay have a nice day sir" with a visibly angry look on his face.
Then the people behind me asked him what was wrong and he said "oh that guy wants 28 dollars back out of 100. I don't know why he didn't just take the change and pay at the table."

So am I out of line to expect that this is a simple calculation. Does no one ever say just give me X amount back? Is that super rare?

I'm just curious not trying to belittle anyone. Are computer systems for cashiers now so automated they can only perform simple functions. I'm not being obtuse, I'm curious to know. Can the computer not make this calculation? Is there no field for cash tendered-what the customer wants back?

$100 tendered
$28.00 change
meal cost $59.30
$12.70 to the server.

I'm thinking the computer system was not well understood and the guy may have been new.
But things are so automated these days and people are so poorly trained perhaps this really was not possible with his register/computer. It looked like a very modern Point of sale computer with a touch screen.

Should I stop conducting business this way? Should I just have him refund me then change have him give me change for a tip. Seems like an extra step to me.

My relatives claimed they had no cash and All I had were 20s and a 100. I wanted to get rid of the 100.

The only reason this bothers me is because the people in line behind me seemed to think my request was odd and unreasonable as well. If it is then I will stop doing that.
I don't understand why you think leaving the extra money in the register is somehow going to get to the server? the server would think you had "stiffed" him/her. It's not the "make me do math" part, it's expecting the cashier to keep up with getting the tip to the proper person when that is not his job.

Just get your own change and leave your own tip, as is customary.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:43 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Just get your change and leave your own tip...it's much easier in the long run...and there can be no mistake on what you intended to leave.
I agree. The cashier has so much going on. YOU already did the math calmly in your mind, now you want him to hurry up and just do a quick math while he has other concerns all around him.

Besides there are scammers out there. Whenever I have someone who tries to hurry me with money, that puts up a red flag for me.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:45 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Excellent observation. When someone gives me their money I always say " Your total is $11.50 out of $20.00." Then I say "I owe you back $ eight dollars and fifty cents." Finally, as I put it in their hand, I say " There is the eight dollars, and here is the 50 cents ."

That way there is no question and they can't say "I gave you a fifty ! But very few cashiers do it that way any more, they just hand you the change. Not a good idea IMO.

Don
I would say your change is $8.50 out of $20. Hand them the change and count the bills out loud. I am able to leave their money out until they have their change. Can't be reached easily over my counter.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Asking for $28 is not unreasonable, but one extra calculation when its hectic may be a distraction to him in the grand scheme of things. Also, asking "If he would like me to show him the math" can be taken as condescending.
It is condescending.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:40 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The bill for your meal and your tip to the server are two separate transactions; it shouldn't be expected that a third party will handle both of them for you. And since there was a line at his register, he had other fish to fry. To answer your question, yes. My opinion, of course.
I've always wondered for places that do take credit card (ie. IHOP) and there's a line for tip - if I don't leave anything at the table, do they think I stiffed them, or do they assume I'll tip at the register?

If I indicate how much tip on the receipt through credit, does it actually go to the server?

I never pay anything with cash so I hardly ever have any tip money.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
....I could....point out that you dont know grammar well enough to use you're in your heading...
That is a topic for a different forum.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I've always wondered for places that do take credit card (ie. IHOP) and there's a line for tip - if I don't leave anything at the table, do they think I stiffed them, or do they assume I'll tip at the register?

If I indicate how much tip on the receipt through credit, does it actually go to the server?

I never pay anything with cash so I hardly ever have any tip money.

If I leave cash on the table I feel as if I have to point that out when I put an X in tip box for tips on the charge slip.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM

468 posts, read 583,188 times
Default Did Ya ..did ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I took my family to an independent breakfast place like a Denny's. It's a place where you pay at the cashier at the front.

The bill came out to $59.30. 20% tip is $11.86, but I usually round it up to the next whole dollar amount because I hate coin change. so $71.16 total becomes $72.

The restaurant is a bit hectic and there are people waiting. So I ask the cashier "can you take a hundred", and he says "sure." I hand him the $100 and say "just give me back $28 dollars." He says "man your going to make me do math?" He's the cashier and he has a smile on his face so I think he's joking. He prints out a receipt and says "the total is $59.30 I'm going to give you $40.70 back." I had already calculated that he was likely going to have to make change for me for the tip (its hard to get to 12 dollars with any combo of change he was going to give me) so I though It would be time saving to just say give me $28 back. I asked him If he would like me to show him the math. He said "no I got it."

A quick chain of math 100-28-59.30= $12.70

$59.30 on the bill $12.70 to the server.

Then he muttered something and said "okay have a nice day sir" with a visibly angry look on his face.
Then the people behind me asked him what was wrong and he said "oh that guy wants 28 dollars back out of 100. I don't know why he didn't just take the change and pay at the table."

So am I out of line to expect that this is a simple calculation. Does no one ever say just give me X amount back? Is that super rare?

I'm just curious not trying to belittle anyone. Are computer systems for cashiers now so automated they can only perform simple functions. I'm not being obtuse, I'm curious to know. Can the computer not make this calculation? Is there no field for cash tendered-what the customer wants back?

$100 tendered
$28.00 change
meal cost $59.30
$12.70 to the server.

I'm thinking the computer system was not well understood and the guy may have been new.
But things are so automated these days and people are so poorly trained perhaps this really was not possible with his register/computer. It looked like a very modern Point of sale computer with a touch screen.

Should I stop conducting business this way? Should I just have him refund me then change have him give me change for a tip. Seems like an extra step to me.

My relatives claimed they had no cash and All I had were 20s and a 100. I wanted to get rid of the 100.

The only reason this bothers me is because the people in line behind me seemed to think my request was odd and unreasonable as well. If it is then I will stop doing that.

DID YOU LEAVE HIM A TIP???? He gave the customer a major attitude that is a huge no, no! I would of said here give me that. And given him what the bill is and showed him, ingrates get jack/crap.

As it stands I don't tip when I don't have to BECAUSE he needs me for a job I DON'T need him. Why should I make up the slack of his EMPLOYERS p## poor pay for slave work??
You don't put the stuff on the table you have no customers. SO IF I TIP BE GRATEFUL. And if I do tip it is usually the chump change left over. 20%? who made that up? the employer or the waiter? Get real. In Europe they don't tip. They consider they are doing their job, and that is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink