Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You were speaking to an idiot. It is more common these days, now that we employ our idiots as cashiers instead of having them turn a bolt on an assembly line. Sorry for speaking the blunt truth but there you go.
Not really dude. First of all that cashier may well have been a Computer Science (programming) student. Regardless, the cashier takes the money for the food, not the tip. You give him $100, he tells the computer that you gave him $100. It subtracts the bill from $100 and tells the cashier how much to give back to you. The tip is up to you as the customer to figure out how much to give and make sure it gets to the appropriate person (usually just leave at the table).

The problem with the cashier trying to take your tip and put it in the till like that is that the till will be unbalanced. Even in the past, when cash registers did not have computers in them (or even before there were cash registers), this would still have been an unreasonable request. The cashier is just taking the bill for the food. The tip is between you and the server.

Plus...even Albert Einstein would simply use the computer if he had one available in a cash register at the time, back in the 60s when he passed away. btw imagine how much more progress Einstein could have made in physics had supercomputers been available at the time. Like I said earlier, why burden the human mind with arithmetic when you have a machine available. I don't expect people to manually do arithmetic at the cash register any more than I expect a machinist to cut a reduction gear from metal using hand tools. A machinist describes the shape to a CNC drill, where CNC stands for Computer Numeric Control, and the computer tells the motors and cutting devices precisely how to move. Machinists don't just have mechanical aptitude anymore. Now they need to know the basics of writing a script to tell the CNC computer what to do. It's called progress, man.

Really there's no reason to even have a human at the cash register. Just like at the Safeway grocery stores here in California, you can have automatic checkout. Put the $100 bill in the machine and it gives you the change, no human needed. Safeway actually does have a human at the bank of automatic machines, but it is one human overseeing 6+ automatic checking machines. That's, what, three or four people Safeway didn't have to hire and pay. That saves them money to invest into the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
As it stands I don't tip when I don't have to BECAUSE he needs me for a job I DON'T need him. Why should I make up the slack of his EMPLOYERS p## poor pay for slave work??
Ah see this is what I was referring to earlier when I was telling the OP that a server is not in a lower social class. The United States of America is a republic. We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal...

Quote:
In Europe they don't tip. They consider they are doing their job, and that is right.
Incorrect. Tipping started in Britain.

Service 101: A Brief History of Tipping

The OED says the origin of this sense of "tip" is in the "early 17th century", before the founding of our great country (the USA).

tip: definition of tip in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

(scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "Origin" or press Control-F and type origin)

What happened was that after the civil war, newly rich Americans went to Europe and discovered tipping, and came back and encouraged the practice here.

Having said that, I am against tipping. I think it is against our founding principles in the USA. We don't have a servant class. We are not supposed to, at least. Not according the Declaration of Independence. That's the whole point of the USA. We don't have a King, therefore we don't have social classes (economic class, sure, not social class). I say, pay the servers a proper wage ($20/hr if they are good at their job and have been doing it a while) and do not allow tips. I mainly eat at fast food restaurants because they don't do that "tip" stuff to their employees.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
When you get a "seal" trained that can take my order, refill my coffee cup, along with bring out my plates of food, I will agree with you. Till then, Nah, Not happening.
Robots will do all of that in no more than 20 years. Mark my words. Of course we already have self-driving cars, and by then all cars will have the capability to drive themselves.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfICould View Post
It's not your fault. He is very bad at math and embarrassed about it. I am the exact same way. You'd be surprised how often math comes up in everyday life and i just have to pretend I get it or avoid it.

However it was very rude that he told other people about the issue. So your answer to "how hard is that?" is: very, for some people.

As a sort of related side note, I find it mean that people can spell things or mispronounce things SO "stupidly" and yet people just let it slide, but if a person is bad at math they're an idiot and need to just go die it seems
I agree. As someone with a learning disability in math, it is very humiliating having issues with basic math. Just like someone who is dyslexic, etc.; some people absolutely cannot process numbers. I test out at genius levels in various IQ tests and always scored straight A's in college level classes. At the same time, I would score solid D's and F's in math, my entire life. Some people simply cannot grasp numbers.

It's disappointing to read so many rude and judgmental comments here regarding the cashier.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
It's disappointing to read so many rude and judgmental comments here regarding the cashier.
Indeed. There is no reason to expect him to do it anyway. There is a computer right there in the cash register. I would never expect manual arithmetic to be done by a cashier. Maybe if there's a blackout. This is 2014 not 1814. We have machines to do rote, menial tasks, both physical and mental. And that trend will continue.

Well at fast food places like McDonald's, the cash register normally has a display that the customer can read, too. It will tell you what your total is. You give a $20 bill to the cashier, they press the appropriate button, the computer tells you and the cashier that you are to expect $15 back, and the cashier gives it to you. No calculation performed by the cashier.

Original Poster's request was unreasonable because it makes it hard for the business owner to keep track of his budget. It's a simple task. Your bill for the food is $30. You give the cashier $100, you get $70. Whatever tip you wish to leave, you leave on the table where you were served. Easy.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:02 AM

3,782 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Indeed. There is no reason to expect him to do it anyway. There is a computer right there in the cash register. I would never expect manual arithmetic to be done by a cashier. Maybe if there's a blackout. This is 2014 not 1814. We have machines to do rote, menial tasks, both physical and mental. And that trend will continue.
While it may be the case that machines do the math, the actual menial task is not the calculation but the act of dumbly pressing buttons on the machine; that the machine does not eliminate. How can a work activity that actually engages the mind, such as a calculation does, be described as being more menial than button pushing on a machine? No, in this case, the machine is there not to prevent the worker from having to perform a menial task, it is there because employers do not have faith that a cashier knows enough grade school math to do the job, to eliminate calculation errors. The cashier ought to be able to do the calculation at least so they have some semblance of an idea whether they pressed the right buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Original Poster's request was unreasonable because it makes it hard for the business owner to keep track of his budget. It's a simple task. Your bill for the food is $30. You give the cashier $100, you get $70. Whatever tip you wish to leave, you leave on the table where you were served. Easy.
I agree it should be left on the table.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:13 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Also jobs like that pay so low they can only hire idiots.
That is just mean spirited. Shame on you.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You were speaking to an idiot. It is more common these days, now that we employ our idiots as cashiers instead of having them turn a bolt on an assembly line. Sorry for speaking the blunt truth but there you go.
My thoughts exactly!
And the truth shall set you free!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Don't feel bad.

You can be 100% CERTAIN, in fact you can place a bet on your entire net worth - that not a single one of them are retail business owners let alone restaurant owners. OR cashiers. OR servers.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In my very limited tenure as a cashier, we were actually required by our employer to leave their money out until they had their change. There were sooooo many people who would try to pull the, "Noooo, I gave you a fifty, NOT a twenty!" scam, and we were required to be ready to show them the exact bill they'd just given us, because it had not been put in the drawer yet.
That IS the correct way.

Obviously NONE of these people mocking, denigrating and trashing the cashier have ever been a cashier.

Or even a SERVER.

NO SERVER would want that OP procedure.

And for SURE not retail store owners let alone restaurant owners.

And certainly no successful restaurant would EVER permit that. Unless the cashier was the OWNER and willing to risk screwing up their drawer or mishandling tips and getting FINED or SHUT DOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink