Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,812,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You were speaking to an idiot. It is more common these days, now that we employ our idiots as cashiers instead of having them turn a bolt on an assembly line. Sorry for speaking the blunt truth but there you go.
NEWSFLASH:

Even a store OWNER would not do that transaction and would operate their OWN register exactly in the proper way.

You are perhaps INTENTIONALLY ignoring this had NOTHING TO DO with operating a cash register.

It was about forcing a cashier to take CASH - (the server's TIP) in his hands and do something with it.

NEVER EVER PERMITTED.

When you have worked in the jobs of server, cashier or OWNER, you can have a better understanding. But you are not EDUCATED in that field.

I might even say, you're an "assembly line customer".

But maybe you want to inform US experienced people where we're wrong.

Exactly WHERE is the cashier supposed to put the cash tip? In his pocket? Until when? "Later on?"

And is he supposed to keep some chart up on the wall of all the tips in his pocket?

ARE YOU going to wait for him to log all that crap in? Because he's going to have to document the bill, who it was, the tip amount etc?

And that's called almost TIP POOLING. And there are LAWS about THE EMPLOYER AND EMPLOYEE TIP RELATIONSHIP. Mishandling tip money can get you fined or shut down. But classy customers probably don't care about that just so you can get in and out at breakneck speed regardless of how many insults they hurl.

I won't wait for you to admit you're wrong. At least the OP did that, begrudging and still had to bash other service employees doing so.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-19-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,812,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Most people in this country are idiots. It isn't like 20 years ago when we were kids. Now everyone who makes under $15 an hour thinks they don't have to think because they don't get paid enough to. Also jobs like that pay so low they can only hire idiots.
The cash register PROTOCOL was the same 20, 30 and even 40 years ago.

You seemed to miss the point that the customer wanted the cashier to ring up a wrong amount then take some cash out of the drawer and give it to a server.

Probably a more idiotic idea than ANY I've heard of "since I was a kid". So wait. Maybe you're right and the culture has created an entire cadre of idiot CUSTOMERS too.

But I'd rather be a idiot cashier than an arrogant always mad and freaking out idiot customer.

Have you ever done that or seen it done? NO.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,861,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My dad is a terrible tipper and virulently anti-tipping (and he hates dining out, too, and would never do so by choice). But on the occasions when he's had to go along with people and go out to eat, my mom and I always watch him like a hawk, because he is NOT averse to going back and removing tip money we've put down.
My parents were "terrible" tippers until I 'educated' them. lol Sounds like your dad just didn't want to part with anymore money!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Awhile back while working, I left to grab lunch at Jimmy John's (they're decent, not great, but the fact that I'm always out the door within 90 seconds of entering is appealing).

Anyway, the charge was something like $10.27. I handed the cashier a $20. She typed in '20.00' and hit enter - just then I fished in my pocket and said, "Wait, I've got the change", and handed her a quarter and a couple of cents.

I've seen deer frozen in the beams of my headlights that looked less uncertain as to what to do than she did.

She took my money, clearly didn't know what to do, and then smiled at me with a sort of pleading "Help me!" look in her eyes.

I said helpfully, "Just give me a ten back". So she did.

The point is, some people simply cannot do math. So, one can either do it for them or just avoid the hassle - by paying/tipping with a credit card, or leaving a tip at the table. Should they be able to do the math in their heads? Probably. That doesn't mean I'm going to force them to do so.
I've been cashiering and making change since I was 16 so nearly 60 years but when something like that happens to me I probably also look that way. It's not that I can't figure it out it's just that it throws me off my stride for a few seconds. Doesn't mean I don't know how to make change or count.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'd rather tip then have menu prices raised 20%. I think a lot less competent people would be servers if it was changed to paying servers minimum wage only instead of $3+ tips. I'm not saying customer service would be bad, plenty of places have great customer service without a tip incentive. But If you work at a decent place you can make a couple hundred dollars on a Friday or Saturday night. If that changed to minimum wage, servers would be making maybe $40 a night after taxes. As a former server I'll take the $100+ over $40 any day. Its not demeaning and it certainly never made me feel like a lower class citizen.
As an ex-server I wouldn't want to work for minimum and no tips. When I finally quit waitressing, after over 30 years, I was averaging $16 hour with my tips. That was at 'family' restaurants working breakfast and lunch only. Made more for dinner shifts. Minimum wage here is $7.25, although NObody starts people out that low here. Not even the big box stores.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Excellent observation. When someone gives me their money I always say " Your total is $11.50 out of $20.00." Then I say "I owe you back $ eight dollars and fifty cents." Finally, as I put it in their hand, I say " There is the eight dollars, and here is the 50 cents ."

That way there is no question and they can't say "I gave you a fifty ! But very few cashiers do it that way any more, they just hand you the change. Not a good idea IMO.

Don
I always say the amount of money they give me. That way there's no mistake on either part. And I always leave the money out till they've been given, and accepted, their change. I don't always count it back to them but if they give a $100 bill I sure do because it's usually for a small purchase and they just want change.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I've always wondered for places that do take credit card (ie. IHOP) and there's a line for tip - if I don't leave anything at the table, do they think I stiffed them, or do they assume I'll tip at the register?

If I indicate how much tip on the receipt through credit, does it actually go to the server?

I never pay anything with cash so I hardly ever have any tip money.
No they won't think you've stiffed them. At the end of the shift the credit card tips are added up and given to the server. Yes, it goes to the server or certainly should. As a restaurant cashier I always also had envelopes for each server on shift. If someone wanted to leave a cash tip at the register, such as the OP wanted to, it would be put in that envelope for the server. I have never seen a cashier refuse to take a tip for a server. Some restaurants I've worked the cashier would take it to the server right away.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
As an ex-server I wouldn't want to work for minimum and no tips. When I finally quit waitressing, after over 30 years, I was averaging $16 hour with my tips. That was at 'family' restaurants working breakfast and lunch only. Made more for dinner shifts. Minimum wage here is $7.25, although NObody starts people out that low here. Not even the big box stores.

Most of my clients who were servers were making $18 an hour, even though the minimum was about $3.00 per hour.

If tipping does away, the servers will be making $10-12 an hour. The great waitstaff will receive a major cut in pay and move on to better jobs. The poor servers will be getting a raise ... and still be as mediocre as ever.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,235,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I took my family to an independent breakfast place like a Denny's. It's a place where you pay at the cashier at the front.

The bill came out to $59.30. 20% tip is $11.86, but I usually round it up to the next whole dollar amount because I hate coin change. so $71.16 total becomes $72.

The restaurant is a bit hectic and there are people waiting. So I ask the cashier "can you take a hundred", and he says "sure." I hand him the $100 and say "just give me back $28 dollars." He says "man your going to make me do math?" He's the cashier and he has a smile on his face so I think he's joking. He prints out a receipt and says "the total is $59.30 I'm going to give you $40.70 back." I had already calculated that he was likely going to have to make change for me for the tip (its hard to get to 12 dollars with any combo of change he was going to give me) so I though It would be time saving to just say give me $28 back. I asked him If he would like me to show him the math. He said "no I got it."

A quick chain of math 100-28-59.30= $12.70

$59.30 on the bill $12.70 to the server.

Then he muttered something and said "okay have a nice day sir" with a visibly angry look on his face.
Then the people behind me asked him what was wrong and he said "oh that guy wants 28 dollars back out of 100. I don't know why he didn't just take the change and pay at the table."

So am I out of line to expect that this is a simple calculation. Does no one ever say just give me X amount back? Is that super rare?

I'm just curious not trying to belittle anyone. Are computer systems for cashiers now so automated they can only perform simple functions. I'm not being obtuse, I'm curious to know. Can the computer not make this calculation? Is there no field for cash tendered-what the customer wants back?

$100 tendered
$28.00 change
meal cost $59.30
$12.70 to the server.

I'm thinking the computer system was not well understood and the guy may have been new.
But things are so automated these days and people are so poorly trained perhaps this really was not possible with his register/computer. It looked like a very modern Point of sale computer with a touch screen.

Should I stop conducting business this way? Should I just have him refund me then change have him give me change for a tip. Seems like an extra step to me.

My relatives claimed they had no cash and All I had were 20s and a 100. I wanted to get rid of the 100.

The only reason this bothers me is because the people in line behind me seemed to think my request was odd and unreasonable as well. If it is then I will stop doing that.
Nope. It's just as reasonable as it is to expect people to have good English/writing skills.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of my clients who were servers were making $18 an hour, even though the minimum was about $3.00 per hour.

If tipping does away, the servers will be making $10-12 an hour. The great waitstaff will receive a major cut in pay and move on to better jobs. The poor servers will be getting a raise ... and still be as mediocre as ever.
I was making $2.17 hour plus tips. Working dinner shifts I could average at least $20 hour. I believe servers are now paid $4+ an hour.

I can't imagine making $10-12 hour as a server w/o tips. Can't imagine an employer wanting to pay that!You're right about the rest. I had a friend who moved down here from Oregon. She was shocked at the $2.17 hour because up there she was making $8 hour plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink