Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

If you have ever been to PF Chang's, you know this is one of their most requested recipes....and this comes darn close to being every bit as good in the convenience of your own kitchen!

Make-ahead lettuce wraps
Makes: 4 servings
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
•1 head of sturdy lettuce such as bibb, romaine or iceberg

•1/2 cup chicken broth

•1/4 cup soy sauce

•2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar

•1 tablespoon cornstarch

•2 tablespoons vegetable oil

•2 pounds ground turkey or chicken

•1 small bell pepper (green, red or any other color you prefer), finely diced

•1 large carrot, finely diced

•2 large garlic cloves, minced

•1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

•1/4 cup finely sliced scallions, light green and dark green parts only (from about 2-3 scallions)

•Sirracha or other hot sauce for serving

1 to 2 days ahead: Prep the lettuce and make the filling

Prep the lettuce: Separate the head of lettuce into individual leaves. Rinse and dry, either with a salad spinner or by hand, using clean kitchen towels or paper towels to pat the leaves dry.

Refrigerate the lettuce leaves until ready to assemble and serve, either inside the salad spinner or between layers of clean, dry kitchen towels or paper towels in an airtight container to wick away excess moisture. (Lettuce leaves can also be stored in individual serving sizes for lunches on the go.)

Cook the meat: Whisk the broth, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.

Add half the ground meat in handfuls, distributing it in a single layer in the pan. Cook without stirring until the meat starts to brown, then stir and start breaking up the meat into smaller pieces.

When the meat is no longer pink, transfer it to a bowl. Add the remaining oil and meat to the pan and cook in the same manner.

Finish the filling: Return all the meat to the pan and add the bell pepper, carrot, garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.

Whisk in the reserved broth and cook for a few more minutes to thicken the broth into a sauce.

Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions.

Store the filling: Transfer to a lidded container (or multiple containers, if you're sending the wraps off to school or work for meals) and refrigerate until ready to eat. The cooked filling can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
If you have ever been to PF Chang's, you know this is one of their most requested recipes....and this comes darn close to being every bit as good in the convenience of your own kitchen!

Make-ahead lettuce wraps
Makes: 4 servings
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
•1 head of sturdy lettuce such as bibb, romaine or iceberg

•1/2 cup chicken broth

•1/4 cup soy sauce

•2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar

•1 tablespoon cornstarch

•2 tablespoons vegetable oil

•2 pounds ground turkey or chicken

•1 small bell pepper (green, red or any other color you prefer), finely diced

•1 large carrot, finely diced

•2 large garlic cloves, minced

•1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

•1/4 cup finely sliced scallions, light green and dark green parts only (from about 2-3 scallions)

•Sirracha or other hot sauce for serving

1 to 2 days ahead: Prep the lettuce and make the filling

Prep the lettuce: Separate the head of lettuce into individual leaves. Rinse and dry, either with a salad spinner or by hand, using clean kitchen towels or paper towels to pat the leaves dry.

Refrigerate the lettuce leaves until ready to assemble and serve, either inside the salad spinner or between layers of clean, dry kitchen towels or paper towels in an airtight container to wick away excess moisture. (Lettuce leaves can also be stored in individual serving sizes for lunches on the go.)

Cook the meat: Whisk the broth, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat until shimmering.

Add half the ground meat in handfuls, distributing it in a single layer in the pan. Cook without stirring until the meat starts to brown, then stir and start breaking up the meat into smaller pieces.

When the meat is no longer pink, transfer it to a bowl. Add the remaining oil and meat to the pan and cook in the same manner.

Finish the filling: Return all the meat to the pan and add the bell pepper, carrot, garlic and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.

Whisk in the reserved broth and cook for a few more minutes to thicken the broth into a sauce.

Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions.

Store the filling: Transfer to a lidded container (or multiple containers, if you're sending the wraps off to school or work for meals) and refrigerate until ready to eat. The cooked filling can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Iam not a fan of PF Changs like I used to be, I think they are way overpriced, but I love the lettuce wraps. Thanks for sharing. Next time I think Asian food I am going to give this a try. Yum Yum

Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I do like their lettuce wraps but I found another restaurant near me who makes them even tastier. It's called Monsoon and the owners of this place also own 2 steak houses and a seafood restaurant. I would like to make my own at home.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I love lettuce wraps. I am going to try this but using Urban's ground seitan and some minced water chestnuts for crunch.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I love lettuce wraps. I am going to try this but using Urban's ground seitan and some minced water chestnuts for crunch.
Yeah, I could have sworn PFChangs has water chestnuts in theirs. And I don't recall bell peppers.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yeah, I could have sworn PFChangs has water chestnuts in theirs. And I don't recall bell peppers.
No, bell peppers are not in the lettuce wraps at PF Changs. Its mushrooms, green onions, water chestnuts, and crispy rice sticks. I don't think they use ground chicken either.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Just made these last weekend.... I used ground Turkey..raw green onion...chopped cabbage...fresh mung bean sprouts I have been growing in Mason jars this winter and cooked mushrooms.....for sauce I mixed Bottled Bangkok peanut sauce, soy sauce and a little bit of lime juice all together.......love it.....you can really not go wrong with whatever you want to use...I had some hot mustard too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink