Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I ordered some stainelss steel bread box, supposedly made in the Netherlands where they use them more.
When it comes, I'll try it out and write back with a report. Thanks for chiming in though. Seems like those are more relics of the past rather than built to do the job of keeping bread fresh. We'll see.
Made by Brabantia ???

Uhuh ... , many in The Netherlands use a bread box.
Mostly a metal one today, in the *old* days made from wood.
The most common one did have the *roll top* lid.
But ... we also bought bread almost daily, unlike today living in the USA,
we buy bread once a week, plus the fact that nowadays we are empty nesters,
so bread goes stale ... (Then the chickens get it !)
Before *being empty nesters*, I learned how to bake bread,
and that bread was gone really fast with all the kids still home.

The best way is to *keep* bread at room temperature.
Find a *tupperware* or any plastic container that can keep the whole loaf inside.
Tightly closed, the bread will stay longer fresh.
Wash the container really good each time you put a new loaf in it !

Putting it in the fridge is the wrong move, it becomes dry quicker !
If you make sandwiches the night before,
add a piece of lettuce in the sandwich bag
to keep it moist while you put it in the fridge for the night.

In the freezer ? OK, IF and when you wrap it in foil and then in a freezer bag.

CAUTION, if you have stale bread, look really close for any evidence of mold.
Just the slightest little piece of mold can be bad for you.
The spores are long and skinny, so if you see just a speck,
the mold itself can be quite a lot already !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
We had a wooden bread box for a long time. Now I am wondering what happened to it.
I keep bread in cotton bags. There is nothing like fresh baked so I divide recipes in three loaves, bake them unail they are barely done, let them defrost on a rack and bake the last few minutes so to say.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 AM

24,503 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I also think they were for mice rather than freshness.
Would not keep my two legged mice away.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Not enough room on the counter, and most I've seen are quite ugly. Maybe someday.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We had a wooden bread box for a long time. Now I am wondering what happened to it.
I keep bread in cotton bags. There is nothing like fresh baked so I divide recipes in three loaves, bake them unail they are barely done, let them defrost on a rack and bake the last few minutes so to say.
Great tip ^^^
I make homemade bread often and it does not last more than a couple days. If it does, I make croutons or breadcrumbs and store them in the frig.

I have a wooden roll top breadbox and love it. My counter would look naked without one

Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
We had a chrome metal breadbox, but the bread just mildewed in it. So, it was mounted on the wall and used to store other stuff. We don't have one in the new kitchen, but there is a pie safe in the laundry area under the house. Might see if that will fit in the kitchen, although I don't know if we will put bread in it.

We usually store bread in the refrigerator or just leave it on the counter with something inverted over it if the refrigerator is full. If the bread gets a little stale, microwaving it for a few seconds will liven it back up again. If it's still too stale, well, the bunnies and the chickens like bread.

I usually make bread about once a week and there's usually a tag end left for the bunnies to munch on when the new bake is done. We have an old oven with a pilot light, so sometimes the old bread is made into herbed & oiled croutons or dried into cubes for bread pudding or turkey/ chicken dressing.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I tried the bread box thing but the bread always molded. Even after I cleaned the bread box with bleach! I think I don't eat it fast enough. Now I keep it in the fridge and it lasts a long time. Or sometime I buy that expensive bread from Great Harvest and I keep that in the freezer and get it out one or 2 slices at a time.

To freshen it up, I put the bread in the microwave for a few seconds.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is a really good idea,I think I will start doing it. As for frozen versus fresh, you might be right, but for those of us who like good quality breads and have small families, freezing beats spoiling.
The other thing you can do is just buy or make baguettes or other small loaves. That way, you don't have more bread than you are going to eat in a single sitting. If you are really into fresh, "artisan" bread, it's best ultra fresh, anyway. It's not really made to be kept around, no matter how you store it. That's what preservative-laden sandwich loaves are for.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
I used to have an old school wood bread box, but I never noticed a difference in my bread whether it was in stored in the box or not. Counter space is prime real estate in my kitchen, and I only have enough space for essentials, so I gave it away.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Bread drawers and bread boxes don't really preserve bread, they just conceal it (and, in some cases, protect it from rodents).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink