Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
What butcher do you frequent around SA?
I was wanting to know the same thing.

I've heard good things about Penshorn's in Marion, and Wiatrek's in Poth, but have never bought from either.

Dziuk's in Castroville sells good parisa and jerky, but I admit I've never bought steak there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM

207 posts, read 320,362 times
HEB has Choice T-bones on sale for $5.97 a pound through tomorrow. I picked some up today (there were none out, the butcher had to cut them for me) and they look really good. Very nice marbling.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Last time at was at Ruth Chis the steak was excellent. Normally I buy a market locally and do them over mesquite wood burn down to coals. Texjoy steak seasoning for my taste.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
HEB has Choice T-bones on sale for $5.97 a pound through tomorrow. I picked some up today (there were none out, the butcher had to cut them for me) and they look really good. Very nice marbling.
I have not bought good beef from HEB other than the Prime Beef which is sold at the meat counter usually for $12 to $15 or more for Rib Eye and New York Strip. I have seen Prime Sirloin for around $6-$7 on occasion. As for the "choice" you mention I have bought it in the recent past and if it is labeled "Value Beef" it has not been very tender for me. The T-bones seem to be a little bit better than the Rib Eyes in that category. I do not believe that is Choice or at least it does not seem tender enough for me.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Good grilled beef Short-rib is amazing compare to ribeye or T-bone. Flavor and texture definitely better than a thick steak.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:31 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I have not bought good beef from HEB other than the Prime Beef which is sold at the meat counter usually for $12 to $15 or more for Rib Eye and New York Strip. I have seen Prime Sirloin for around $6-$7 on occasion. As for the "choice" you mention I have bought it in the recent past and if it is labeled "Value Beef" it has not been very tender for me. The T-bones seem to be a little bit better than the Rib Eyes in that category. I do not believe that is Choice or at least it does not seem tender enough for me.
if beef is not labelled with a grade (prime choice, select) its most likely designated as "no-roll" or ungraded beef

value or economy beef is usually no roll beef or cow beef... both ungraded, both can be ok, or both can be very lean and tough

prime is the best,,,,,you wont get prime for under 10.00lb unless it has a lot of age on it (60 plus days)

choice is a very good grade,,,,, but again,,the middle meats are expensive now,,,middle meats are rib-eyes strips, short loins and top butt sirloins and tenderloins

if choice T-bones and porterhouses are under 6.00lb,,,thats a great deal!

I have had select beef that is good also,,
you can have prime beef but if it isn't cooked right,,,it will be tough,,,,you can also take select grade middle meats, and it can be good,,particularly if you consider cost..

if you are someone that can buy 20.99lb prime filet mignon,,,then,,,bless you,,,but I have a tough time paying over 10.00lb
for rib eyes, strips T-bones or porterhouses.

here is a quandary selling steak, 80% of the customer base is female that buys meat (in grocery stores,,,,,, more men will go to meat markets) men and women buy meat differently,,,

say, I have prime abundantly marbled beautiful steak in my store, even at a decent price, half the women in the world will say it looks fatty, and she's not going to pay over 10.00lb for all that fat
while 80% of men , the marble wont scare them from buying that steak,,,,they know that if a steak is too lean, it will probly be tough- im not dissing women,,,but they tend to buy more lean for perceived health reasons too, while men will go for flavor .

Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
Okay, that explains it. Years ago, before the ban, beef from Kobe, Hyogo prefecture was the best. Kobe beef is no longer the the best out there. The number of heads that was exported shows that.
Currently, the most desired Wagyu is from Iwate prefecture, and Miyazaki prefecture as well. Just for 2015, there have been over a hundred imported into the U.S. so far. Last year, they imported thousands of heads just from these 2 prefectures alone.

I will take on your challenge for 50 heads next week. I can set you up with one of only a few distributors in the U.S. that the Japanese government approved to distribute Wagyu in the U.S. All you'll need to do is order it and wire them the money. This is a legit company, you may have to set up an acct first though.
I think we found the fly in the ointment. I was referring to Kobe whereas you were speaking of Wagyu in general.

I get you with the Wagyu.

Kobe, as many folks may not know, is like Champagne. Only a small area in France can produce official "Champagne"...although sparkling wine (called champagne by many) is produced world-wide.

Kobe is the same way...Wagyu cattle produced in the Hyogo prefecture of Japan. Kobe was never exported from Japan before about 2010 or 2011...NEVER...to anywhere. Around 2010/11 they started to export to Macao, and a year or so later to other countries (one of which was the US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink