Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 966,533 times

Advertisements

99% of the time I bring my lunch.

I typically only go out if there is a celebration, a coworker suggests going out, or get tired of bringing food every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 07:19 PM

619 posts, read 574,797 times
I got used to bringing my food from home for many many years. it saves time, money, and calories.

Now i work in midtown NYC so there is no shortage of places to buy food and yet i still bring my own lunch. Last time i bought a salad it cost me $12. twelve dollars for a bowl of lettuce, toppings and a protein. it probably costs me that much to make salads at home for a week's worth of lunches. and i know exactly wht goes into my salads.

I make soup once a week or two weeks - freeze in individual containers.
I also make chicken or chicken breast, cut off the bone, freeze.
always have shredded cheese, frozen veg (like corn, peas) in the freezer.
nuts, seeds, dried fruit.
On sunday i do some prep work and then have my meals for the week all ready

what i bring:
*i keep a bag with a mixture of different oatmeals, cinamon and raisins in my drawer. that's breakfast (with milk or yogurt).
*lunch is a big salad with a vareity of fresh veggies and some kind of protein (chicken, eggs, chickpeas, etc)
*I make soup - portion it out and freeze. usually chicken and veg, or blended red lentil soup. great take along for work.
*fruit
*little baggie with nuts and dried fruit - like those little 100 calorie bag you buy at CVS

Old 03-01-2016, 07:56 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Hauled it in for the last 20+ years........because it is a straight 8 hour shift, no lunch break. Eat on site. In fact, those weeks when they shift me to another time of the day, I try to work a straight 8 because have a "free" hour in between is so uncommon to me.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Been eating out all week past month.

Once I get into that cooking phase I'll bring food again.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
I bring, the Mr. buys

Old 03-02-2016, 11:48 PM

38,859 posts, read 22,845,735 times
I bring lunch every day, even though my work location is near many good eating places. I'm an hourly employee and we get only 30 minutes for lunch, so it's not much time to go out and get something to eat without rushing. The next best thing to do would be to order from a restaurant ahead of time and pick up the food to bring back to eat. I really wish we could have at least 45 minutes for lunch. That would be perfect.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
through many jobs and many years, i've taken lunch more often than not. i usually like deciding what i'll eat the next day. i've worked in a place with a cafeteria, and would buy lunch once a week. the food was decent and very cheap. in two places, there was a birthday club. the office or department would go out to eat and buy lunch for the celebrant. once in a while i'd go out on my own. at one place, there was a terrific chinese place about 50 feet away, and i'd pick up and eat on the job once a week. lunch break? not likely.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
I brought in a home-cooked meal today (ok fine, I cooked the veggies myself but bought the rotisserie turkey breast from the grocery store), but usually I get overpriced, crappy food from the company cafeteria, eat a few bites, and throw the rest away. I should bring in lunch more often.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Me, I usually bring some food from home, we have microwaves and hot water dispensers (for tea or instant soup, etc.) available. I work in an office, have a real office to myself, so tend to eat in my office frequently (and post on here). But on Fridays I eat brunch or lunch out with some friends. Lately the company has invited food trucks onto the campus, so at least a couple of days a week I eat from the trucks, sometimes supplemented with food from home.

Sometimes we have lunch catered in for our group, usually at group meetings, and some special interest groups provide at least some snack food at their meetings.

I guess I starved to death in a previous life, because I inevitably stock my desk with small cans of food, microwaveable dishes of chili, etc. Sometimes I dip into this stash if I forget to pack anything or want more.

Occasionally I do drive into town and eat at a restaurant, but more rarely than I did in single days.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,698,013 times
The trick to encourage yourself to bring your own lunch is to buy some of those cute lunch boxes, or bentos. Daughter told us she had to bring extra appetizers for a coworker who kept complimenting her mouth-watering food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink