Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:55 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Those are creative ways to handle various kitchen tasks, jtur, I'll give you that, and if I ever find myself stranded without a whisk and in desperate need of whipped cream, I'll keep the wire hanger in mind. Oh, wait, I don't actually have any wire coat hangers.
And do you use the same coat hanger for all your whisking jobs, or do you have to find one, bend it, sterilize it, etc, before you whip up a meringue? It's easier just to grab a whisk out of the crock on the counter.

Count me in on the surprise at how many people don't use microwaves. I cook up and portion out food for the week on the weekends, so when I get home dinner involves popping a container in the microwave. I love those microwavable steam-in-bag veggies, I use it to heat up water for tea, warming pastries, melting butter, etc.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-24-2015 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And do you use the same coat hanger for all your whisking jobs, or do you have to find one, bend it, sterilize it, etc, before you whip up a meringue? It's easier just to grab a whisk out of the crock on the counter.
It would be for me, but I give him props for frugal ingenuity.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Creative but in some cases, a lot more dangerous than I'm willing to put up with. Holding a piece of bread with tongs over a burner? My 10 year old is adept at using the toaster oven. I am pretty sure neither of us would be happy with the idea of him having to hold a slice of bread over the open flame of our gas range to toast it. Not to mention that we often toast multiple slices of toast at once. We are supposed to each stand there with a pair of tongs in each hand, using all 4 burners at once, while simultaneously using some spare hands to cook the eggs and make the coffee or tea, things which are otherwise able to be accomplished with toast being made in a toaster or toaster oven.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:17 AM

I broil my toast in the regular oven just like my ninety-year-old grandpa does. Tongs over a burner? Eh, no thanks.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
My mom complains that my toaster oven isn't as good as a regular toaster. She insists on having BOTH a toaster oven and a toaster. She uses the toaster oven for other things.

Funny how people can be a bit picky when it comes to toast. We eat toast daily so our toaster oven is just fine. But for someone that doesn't eat it a lot or just makes a couple, I can see holding it over a burner but I can't see heating up an entire oven to toast it. See? Everyone is different.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My mom complains that my toaster oven isn't as good as a regular toaster. She insists on having BOTH a toaster oven and a toaster. She uses the toaster oven for other things.

Funny how people can be a bit picky when it comes to toast. We eat toast daily so our toaster oven is just fine. But for someone that doesn't eat it a lot or just makes a couple, I can see holding it over a burner but I can't see heating up an entire oven to toast it. See? Everyone is different.
She's right that a toaster oven doesn't make as good a piece of toast as a real toaster. I'm conscious of that fact but it doesn't bother me quite enough to get a separate toaster. Almost, but not quite. And I use the toaster oven for so many other things, the trade off is worth it.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I have a lot of stuff in my kitchen that I don't use, either because it's too much of a pain to assemble and use (mandolin), too hard to clean once you've used it (Foreman grill), or is used too infrequently or takes up too much space in the kitchen so it's relegated to basement storage (rice cooker, iced tea maker ... ).

Items like the electric griddle I used more frequently when my husband was alive (and loved that iced tea maker!), but now there's only a need to make six pancakes at a time when I have company, so down into the basement it goes. I really should sell or donate some of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Electric can openers are a godsend for arthritis patients, but if you're young and healthy, all they do is waste counter space, a little electricity, and twenty bucks.
I don't have an electric can opener, but no matter the appliance, it's my counter space, my electricity, and my 20 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My mom complains that my toaster oven isn't as good as a regular toaster.
Your mom is right. Toaster ovens make terrible toast, but they're the most practical option in my kitchen. So for the convenience of having a small countertop oven and broiler, I eat inferior toast.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Those are creative ways to handle various kitchen tasks, jtur, I'll give you that, and if I ever find myself stranded without a whisk and in desperate need of whipped cream, I'll keep the wire hanger in mind. Oh, wait, I don't actually have any wire coat hangers.
A coat hanger is the handy-man's second best friend (after duct tape). My niece once phoned me to tell me the muffler was dragging under her car. I drove out and looked, and I always have a coat hanger or two in my trunk in case of emergency, and I wired up her muffler. A year later, she told me it was still there. I have pictures on my walls hung on pieces of coat hanger wire, when I couldn't find any nails. I keep stray bits and pieces of it in my kitchen junk drawer, so I don't have to attack a new one every time I need one.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:27 PM

I had no idea that toast was such a contentious food item! I guess don't eat enough toast to know the difference between superior and inferior toast. I'm perfectly satisfied with a slice of bread placed under a broiler for a couple of minutes.

Jtur, I agree about the duct tape. I've never felt the need for wire coat hangers, although I'm absolutely certain there is something in my basement that I could use in an emergency should the unexpected happen. I appreciate your ingenuity and the inspiration it provides to look at items lying around our homes with fresh eyes, but I generally don't consider the carefully selected tools in my kitchen to be crutches, nor do I consider it preferable to jury-rig something out of a coat hanger when a superior tool is available. My kitchen is small; therefore, I fill it with things that are useful for the type of cooking I do on a regular basis. For me, a waffle iron and ice cream maker are clutter because I would not use them enough to warrant the space to store them; a stand mixer and rice cooker are definitely not because I use them nearly every day. And that's pretty much what I've gotten out of this thread: a fascinating glimpse into the priorities and cooking styles of other home cooks.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-24-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 02:37 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a few things that are make-shift substitutes for more refined contraptions.

Garlic press: Place a wide-blade knife flat on the garlic clove and strike it as hard as you dare with your fist. The garlic willl be crushed and the skin fall right off.

Chefs do that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink