Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I will eat a tuna melt. Let's face it, canned tuna isn't real fish. It's the Spam of the seafood world.
If it isn't "real fish", what is it then?

I realize that when you buy a tuna steak, it is different than the tuna in a can, but I don't think the US Food & Drug Administration or the Department of Agriculture would let companies like Starkist market something as "tuna" if it weren't actually tuna.

If you buy the canned tuna for sandwiches, stick with the solid white tuna for the best flavor.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I got a fried cod sandwich today and, when I went to take a bite, I noticed it had a slice of cheese on it. To me, that's a terrible combination - fried fish, tartar sauce, and cheese. It must be something people like because I looked at some of the other fast-food places, and they also put cheese on their fish sandwiches.

Do most people like cheese on their fish sandwiches?
On a good fish sandwich, cheese is a bad idea. It lessens the crispiness because it would trap moisture under the cheese and it would get soggy. It makes no sense on a good fried fish and would be considered low brow eating or cheap crap. Of course if you are eating a McFish, then whatever is okay. That is just a quick food, not good eats.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Me, too.

But personally, I like the cheese on the filet, not the bun.

BTW, this is a photo of a Filet O'Fish I bought about a month ago at the McDonald's on Little Creek Road in Norfolk.
OMG I'm literally laughing so hard I'm crying!!!

They couldn't even get the cheese IN the sandwich!! It's on the side of the bun!!

LMFAO!!!!

Epic, epic fail!!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
As a fan of tuna melts, I never really thought of the combo of fish and cheese as a turn off but I can see where one might find it gross.

I admit to having the filet-o-fish at McD's and I like it.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
I got a fried cod sandwich today and, when I went to take a bite, I noticed it had a slice of cheese on it. To me, that's a terrible combination - fried fish, tartar sauce, and cheese. It must be something people like because I looked at some of the other fast-food places, and they also put cheese on their fish sandwiches.

Bingo. That cheese costs money. McDonald's and Burger King and other places like that aren't putting that slice of cheese on there without a lot of research that tells them the majority of customers want it that way.

There's this vague idea that seafood and cheese never go together, but from tuna melts to lobster thermidor to salmon quiche to pizza or caesar salad topped with anchovies, there are myriad exceptions to this supposed rule.

It's all just a matter of taste (though mine is also for a fish sandwich without cheese, generally).

Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Put cheese on any type of sandwich......including fish. If you don't like cheese just ask them to leave it off.
Unfortunately most Americans think like this. I do NOT like cheese on most sandwiches, it stinks! Many times I'll order it without cheese and they'll put it on there anyways, and in the case of a fish sandwich, you can't just take it off because it's melted on.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Shoot, a slice of fake cheese on a breaded fish sandwich? That is entry level stuff.

When I was young, my favorite after school snack was something called 'rekerost'. Pureed shrimp mixed with cheese that you squirt out of a tube.

Then there was Mills Kaviar, a paste made of smoked cod roe caviar and potato in a tube. Put it on a cracker with cheese and liverwurst... Mmmm.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:24 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I have had two different types of fried fish sandwiches: McDonalds and BurgerKing and this was many, many years ago. I personally liked the McDonalds' sandwich and like another poster stated - the tartar sauce makes the sandwich tasty. I cannot remember if BurgerKing's sandwich had cheese on it.

Fish and cheese are tasty together in my opinion. What is a tuna melt and tuna casserole without the cheese.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
I agree that cheese is too heavy for seafood...but I eat it on fried fish sandwiches; I consider those a heavier fried junk food.

Melted cheese, mayo, and lots of tangy pickles please!

I just tried the new Wendy's cod sammich and it was fabulous. They made it fresh to order and it had a wonderful, very crunchy coating.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:

Along these lines, what Italians (and many Italian-Americans) can't understand, is putting grated cheese on linguine with clam sauce. Cheese on fish...it just seems strange. To each his own, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink