Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,725,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Along these lines, what Italians (and many Italian-Americans) can't understand, is putting grated cheese on linguine with clam sauce. Cheese on fish...it just seems strange. To each his own, though.
I think that you may be surprised. I believe that quite a few people are aware of the Italian's non-use of cheese on/in seafood dishes. I suppose that some of those delectable dishes have just become Americanized.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:26 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,523,285 times
I find cheese in a fish sandwich to be odd too. I know I'd prefer it without. I'm not a big fish eater though. Love tuna. Wife makes a tuna casserole with cheese the thought irks me. The smell isn't appealing to me either, but it tastes good. Still I usually turn up my nose when she mentions it. Just the thought I guess. Different strokes.....

Old 03-01-2015, 02:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,548,957 times
Maybe it's a regional thing.....I'm born and raised in the Midwest and that's actually pretty normal to me - cheese on a fish sandwich. I personally don't like tartar sauce - so I will order mine without tartar sauce but make sure to get cheese. I particularly like Culver's - a chain started in Wisconsin - famous for cheese BTW - and they do put cheese on their fish sandwich. And, it is delicious. Just what you're used to, I guess.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:19 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,523,285 times
We stopped at a Culver's in Arizona 3 or 4 months ago. I don't recall what we ordered.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,764,139 times
IT tastes pretty darn good on McDonald's Filet O'Fish. IN fact, I could never imagine eating that sandwich without a slice of cheese on it

Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 PM

106 posts, read 165,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I got a fried cod sandwich today and, when I went to take a bite, I noticed it had a slice of cheese on it. To me, that's a terrible combination - fried fish, tartar sauce, and cheese. It must be something people like because I looked at some of the other fast-food places, and they also put cheese on their fish sandwiches.

Do most people like cheese on their fish sandwiches?
I like cheese on ANYTHING.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 PM

106 posts, read 165,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We stopped at a Culver's in Arizona 3 or 4 months ago. I don't recall what we ordered.
Culvers makes some MEAAAAN burgers!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:44 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,543,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I got a fried cod sandwich today and, when I went to take a bite, I noticed it had a slice of cheese on it. To me, that's a terrible combination - fried fish, tartar sauce, and cheese. It must be something people like because I looked at some of the other fast-food places, and they also put cheese on their fish sandwiches.

Do most people like cheese on their fish sandwiches?
I had never heard of chesse on a fish sandwich until the year 1970 when I worked at a fasf food hamburger joint in Muncie, Indiana called Burger Chef. The first time I had to make a fish sandwich with cheese for a customer I had to ask again because I thought I had misunderstood what the customer was asking for. But sure enough he was asking for a fish sandwich with a slice of cheese on it.

As it turned out, fish with cheese was not uncomon at all. In fact, I'd guess about 50% of the customers who ordered fish sandwich at that particular Burger Chef, asked for it with cheese.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:24 AM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
If it isn't "real fish", what is it then?

I realize that when you buy a tuna steak, it is different than the tuna in a can, but I don't think the US Food & Drug Administration or the Department of Agriculture would let companies like Starkist market something as "tuna" if it weren't actually tuna.

If you buy the canned tuna for sandwiches, stick with the solid white tuna for the best flavor.
Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll admit that it's fish. I've always, nearly always, lived near a coast, so canned tuna barely qualifies as fish.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 AM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Bingo. That cheese costs money. McDonald's and Burger King and other places like that aren't putting that slice of cheese on there without a lot of research that tells them the majority of customers want it that way.

There's this vague idea that seafood and cheese never go together, but from tuna melts to lobster thermidor to salmon quiche to pizza or caesar salad topped with anchovies, there are myriad exceptions to this supposed rule.

It's all just a matter of taste (though mine is also for a fish sandwich without cheese, generally).
Lobster Thermidor is not, or should not be made with cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink