Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times

Advertisements

I love my Keurig too. Perfect coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. Every time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Hey SATX56, I think I wrote my original post in such a way that you might have thought it was all directed at you. I totally didn't mean to and it wasn't; sorry about that! The only reason I quoted you is because you mentioned the refillable cups being a good idea. I agreed with that, but also put the info out there to posters/readers that I've seen them come with the machines already, and never get used. The rest of my post was my own, separate thoughts, not directed at you or referencing your post at all. Sorry if that was confusing or misconstrued. Arrogance was definitely not my intention and I'm not on any crusades. Best to you.
Thank you for that and my apologies to you. I sometimes read things with a jaundiced eye. We do think it's all too expensive and yes, using the refillable thingy is a pain. It's a good idea gone a bit off course maybe. Problem is the machine isn't the profit item it's all those K-cups. I curse them all the time for their expense. You're right though for convenience they will likely go on selling.

Good luck house hunting in CC I love it down there. Best to you!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
There will always be airheads willing to pay $50-$70 per pound for coffee "dust" while leaving a trail of plastic behind them (while they stand smirking in the checkout line with their reusable bags). I'm not one of them. As I've said before, I think they're a great thing for parties, but I like real coffee and real tea. Keurig is plastic, Chinese junk. Just look online, where women go gaga because of the ease with which they replace their defective product. Which might not last much longer given how their stock tanked after the brewhaha over the 2.0 which doesn't accept the K cups or rival cups. And their sales aren't as brisk since people wised up.

Enter Keurig to the rescue. Again. Working on allowing its units to accept those K cups and rival brands. Because customers spoke and we listened.

No, it didn't have a thing to do with the fact that crafty consumers indeed found a way to bypass Keurig's exclusionary technology, anyway, but that it still left a bitter taste in their mouths. Right.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
There will always be airheads willing to pay $50-$70 per pound for coffee "dust" while leaving a trail of plastic behind them (while they stand smirking in the checkout line with their reusable bags). I'm not one of them. As I've said before, I think they're a great thing for parties, but I like real coffee and real tea. Keurig is plastic, Chinese junk. Just look online, where women go gaga because of the ease with which they replace their defective product. Which might not last much longer given how their stock tanked after the brewhaha over the 2.0 which doesn't accept the K cups or rival cups. And their sales aren't as brisk since people wised up.

Enter Keurig to the rescue. Again. Working on allowing its units to accept those K cups and rival brands. Because customers spoke and we listened.

No, it didn't have a thing to do with the fact that crafty consumers indeed found a way to bypass Keurig's exclusionary technology, anyway, but that it still left a bitter taste in their mouths. Right.
So you're calling everyone here and elsewhere that buy K-cups "Airheads"? Is that term saved exclusively for Keurig users or does it include those that pay ridiculous prices at Starbucks and other high dollar coffee outfits. How about expensive coffee blends that cost as much and more in a single bag?

As for Keurig's sales downturn it could be the fact their machines are too well built and aren't replaced often enough. No, I think the abilities of outsiders to produce k-cup products is the reason. That's where the real profits lie. Their latest machine offerings may be to blame also I'm not keeping up with any of that.

The refillable cup has always been available so it wasn't crafty consumers that found a way to bypass anything. I think they'll be around for a while. Maybe they'll start their own collection and recycle center for the plastic cups.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:12 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Nice! Thanks.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I have had 500 cups of Keurig coffee over the past three years. I have yet to have an excellent cup of coffee. And about 10% of them have been good cups of coffee Sure, it is convenient. Sure, it is great if you have 15-20 people who cannot agree on coffee and the like.

Do remember that you can make one cup of coffee in MOST coffee makers.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM

I've had 100's of cups of coffee in Most coffee makers and yet to find a more excellent cup of coffee than what i get in my Keurig. Of course I'm not holding out my pinky finger in search of an ever finer cup of coffee. Good enough is good enough for me. Keurig is convenient period it's simply not for the elitist coffee drinkers. I can brew a single cup of coffee in a tin cup. But then who cares?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Of course. I can see the inventor who got a measly $50,000 for his invention having remorse for selling and/or creating this monster.
Ha. Just what I was thinking. He might not be quite so remorseful if he hadn't sold it for a pittance.

Also, re: the making of new versions that make the old versions/equipment obsolete: ugh. I'm glad that when someone gifted me one, I took it back and used the money to buy something I actually wanted. The irony here is that the thing I actually wanted was an Apple product...

Old 05-26-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Ha. Just what I was thinking. He might not be quite so remorseful if he hadn't sold it for a pittance.

Also, re: the making of new versions that make the old versions/equipment obsolete: ugh. I'm glad that when someone gifted me one, I took it back and used the money to buy something I actually wanted. The irony here is that the thing I actually wanted was an Apple product...
Well they may well be shooting themselves in the foot with trying to keep others from copying their K-cups. Thing is though, with all they make on the k-cups they might could afford to give the machines away. Whatever happens I don't care much. I drink one cup a day and could do without that until recent years. The wife however drinks 3 or 4 cups a day and likes the convenience.

Right now the kids are spending time with us and the daughter is using the refillable and we use the Newman's Own. I won't miss the added expense when the Keurig is gone. Doesn't mean my wife won't be shopping for another.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

I don't get the hype either. I see people jumping for joy for a frickin Keurig, and I'm just thinkin: "Do you know you're sippin on coffee that's been drained through plastic and probably contains high amounts of BPA?"

I don't get people. And, the inventor knew what they were getting into. Sounds like their remorse is another way to save face. They invented it, which is a pretty lame machine IMO. But, I have friends and family who use it.

I dig freshly brewed coffee that permeates the room in a nicely well constructed form factor that's easily reusable and re-washable. No soap required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink