Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:26 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I poured myself a bowl of my favorite cereal, added milk, and sat down to eat. After a few bites I noticed something moving around in the bowl, but I wasn't wearing my glasses so I wasn't sure. I put my glasses on and found that my bowl of cereal was full of weevils.
We were pretty poor growing up. When there were weevils in the cereal, Mom would say "don't worry, it's just extra protein"!

Old 03-15-2016, 04:30 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Moonlady, your Mom sounds a lot like my Dad. When he was fixing burgers on the grill and one would fall into the coals, he would tell us "Don't worry, it's just more roughage."

Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 PM

924 posts, read 751,174 times
Some years back at work........I had a bag of Reese's Pieces candy in my purse, grabbed a few, and noticed one of them tasted a little off/stale. Took a few seconds to realize I was actually chewing on an Excedrin tablet, and I quickly ran to the sink in the staff room to spit it out.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Chinese hotpot restsurant in Xaoching. It was the kind of place where everyone picks their own raw meat, puts it on a plate, and takes it back to the table to cook it in the boiling hot pot. But in this place, the piles of raw meat had the animal's head placed on the table with it, so that you could identify the species you were about to cook and eat.

Bloody white tablecloths. Cow's head. Sheep's head. Pig's head. Chicken. Duck. Goose. Lamb. Dog. Cat. (It started getting weird) Lizard. Snake. At that point, my wife and I bailed and fled to our table with (as I recall) a little chicken and duck.

We gingerly plopped it into the boiling water as our Chinese hosts smiled. Stuff started cooking away. Suddenly, it occurred to us that it would be difficult to tell one beast from another when it came time to remove the meat from the pot. When I informed our hosts that we didn't want to eat lizard or snake (or dog, or cat, I thought) they just smiled and answered "No problem. No eat lizard or snake meat!"

Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I poured myself a bowl of my favorite cereal, added milk, and sat down to eat. After a few bites I noticed something moving around in the bowl, but I wasn't wearing my glasses so I wasn't sure. I put my glasses on and found that my bowl of cereal was full of weevils.
that's probably what i was eating.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:42 AM

19,369 posts, read 15,217,290 times
I took the first drink out of a beer one time and it had done whatever beers do when they go bad. It was completely flat and one of the worst things I had ever tasted in my life. I didn't even want to think about what had been going on in there. I instantly thought of the Stephen King short story "Gray Matter." Unfortunately, I was at a gathering after a funeral, at the house of someone I barely knew, and didn't want to just spit it out in front of everyone. So I had to hold it in my mouth while I rushed to the bathroom. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed, but afterward I couldn't help obsessing about whether I had actually swallowed a tiny bit or what was going to happen (especially since I had read that stupid story). It was soooo gross.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 03-16-2016 at 12:53 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Chinese hotpot restsurant in Xaoching. It was the kind of place where everyone picks their own raw meat, puts it on a plate, and takes it back to the table to cook it in the boiling hot pot. But in this place, the piles of raw meat had the animal's head placed on the table with it, so that you could identify the species you were about to cook and eat.

Bloody white tablecloths. Cow's head. Sheep's head. Pig's head. Chicken. Duck. Goose. Lamb. Dog. Cat. (It started getting weird) Lizard. Snake. At that point, my wife and I bailed and fled to our table with (as I recall) a little chicken and duck.

We gingerly plopped it into the boiling water as our Chinese hosts smiled. Stuff started cooking away. Suddenly, it occurred to us that it would be difficult to tell one beast from another when it came time to remove the meat from the pot. When I informed our hosts that we didn't want to eat lizard or snake (or dog, or cat, I thought) they just smiled and answered "No problem. No eat lizard or snake meat!"
Oh God. This is straight out of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:24 AM

775 posts, read 775,717 times
Got some good ones. Went to dinner parties in London. First time we had ground up snails that we ate out of the shell with a toothpick. It was our landlord's party so we had to be polite. Once we knew what it was it was a little easier. Another time, smoked oysters on Ritz crackers. I just ate the crackers. On that occasion I politely said this was not going to happen and our host said that was fine, there would be more for them. I think there is a difference between food poisoning and proceeding to eat something gross. Which brings me to the best one:

We were on vacation in Spain and, along with some other tourists, we decided to have a gross picnic. The rules were that we had to each go into a supermarket and buy something for the picnic that could not be identified. We opened cans and boxes and spread it all out on the table. I just couldn't play and was so glad we were outside. Squid in its own ink was my limit but at least we could tell what that was.....the good news was that none of us ever saw each other again, but the memory is so funny!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpie1968 View Post
Oh yes.....I have SDA relatives too......so I have had a few of those, the Fry Chick was the worst!! Blech....blech......
I've had that, too. Swimming in fake chik'n gravy. BLECCCCCHHHHH. Almost as bad as the Big Franks and Skallops.

Did you ever have Thanksgiving Dinner at an SDA house? We did for the first few years. An addendum to "worst food experiences".

We had "mock turkey"...diced mystery something layered with stuffing (the only good part of it) and the yucky chik'n gravy mentioned above poured over it. The pumpkin pie even had tofu in it instead of eggs and dairy.

Then, at DH's insistence, we started spending every subsequent Thanksgiving at MY mother's house, where he blissfully stuffs himself with roast turkey and real gravy, endive with hot bacon dressing, tofu-less pumpkin pie and ice cream (we usually have at least three other different kinds of pie and two cakes, one of them cheese cake). Say the word tofu around my siblings and you'll get a roomful of exaggerated gag-reflex faces.

I didn't FORCE DH to be a carnivore...DH had already eaten McDonalds, pepperoni pizza, and Kentucky Fried Chicken before I met him. When he moved into his own place, he made fried bologna sandwiches. H'd never had home cooked roasts and meat dishes. He first ate them at my house, and I bought and fixed them for him at his place. He loved them, realized what crap that fake stuff was in comparison, and hasn't willingly touched anything Worthington since. Just because his family was vegan and he was raised vegan didn't mean he WANTED to remain one.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-16-2016 at 02:59 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 04:14 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,154 times
Ugh... seafood in South Korea. I don't eat seafood (aside from seaweed), and it was gross to watch. They brought out hongeohoe (skate flavored with its own urine), octopus tentacles that were climbing out of the bowl and slithering across the table, gaebul (a nasty worm that looks like part of the male anatomy, picture below), and a mixed pile of some kind of fish that had bladders in it. This guy put one in his mouth because he didn't believe me when I told him (though someone had told me before what it was) and I heard it burst in his mouth, and the look on his face was like he was going to puke all over the table. Ugh... anyway, here's that worm:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.