Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

its a feel good word applied to ones diet...very subjective

if someone said clean living?? that may mean anything from not smoking/drinking/gambling/void of criminal activity

clean eating can mean anything you want it to be

from eating only deer/moose living off the land, to not eating sugars

personally I don't like how this word or phrase is used,,, what if one mother told her kids, clean eating means
not eating cakes. cookies , processed foods...and the mother may mean well,,,but here's what happens,,,,those kids notice the other kids eating all these sugary foods, and then concluding this is "dirty" eating and then thinking these kids are dirty, or dirty eaters,,,,,
and going to a birthday party with kids,,, one of those "clean" kids does try a piece of cake and feels "dirty"
and goes to throw it up(because kid feels so guilty/dirty eating that cake)

many many people have food hang-ups , no need to pile on

sounds stupid?? maybe as an adult,,,but not as kids.. its like the phrase "picky eater" that sends shivers up some adults because how adults labeled them as kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
for bodybuilding 'clean' eating can mean avoiding processed, high fat foods like Pizza and potato chips.

I'm borderline prediabetic from years of high carb bad eating so I must limit the amount of carbs I eat at any given sitting (glycemic load) or eat lower glycemic carbs... no eating whole pizzas or large Dairy Queen blizzards, (sometimes 2 of them) for me anymore.. I can survive it, but my blood sugars will spike into the mid 200's mg/dl for a period of time and it's not the most healthy thing to do.

For me getting the typical recommended muscle building diet of 50-60% carbs with only 10% fat is simply not happening, nor is it really required... the fat/carb ratio is meaningless as long as you do not try to bodybuild on a zero carb diet. There's nothing unhealthy about fat... fat raises testosterone levels in men, particularly saturated fat. Intermittant fasting 24 hours spikes HGH levels. I use both to my advantage now.

For me eating 'clean' is avoiding lots of high glycemic carbohydrates.. no muffins, chips, pizza, candy, pies, etc. Beanitos are a favorite potato chip of mine... for eating out I like all you can eat crab leg buffets.. a nice huge healthy salad and low carb crab legs and whatever other high protein items they have on the buffet. If I ever marry hopefully I can marry a vegan type or athlete who eats 'clean' and understands why I can't pile on the pasta.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Hmmm, I guess I've been wasting my time eating
Red Velvet Cake in the bathtub,
Well, if you're gonna eat cake...that's a good choice!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I hear this phrase used a lot, and I think I know what people mean by it, but I'm not sure. It seems like, based on contexts in which I've heard it, it could mean any of the following:

- no processed food
- no fat
- just meat and vegetables
- low carbs

What is meant, and why is it called "clean"? Is soy clean? What about whole grain bread? Corn?
For me:

Animal proteins
Fats and oils
Fruits, vegetables and whole grains
Legumes and nuts.

Limited intake of refined starches, dairy and added sugars. Very limited to zero intake of additives and chemically altered food.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 03-07-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I assumed clean eating meant no processed foods.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Less or no sugar, refined white flour foods, red meat, saturated fats & artificial ingredients.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:53 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Clean Eating defined: What the Heck is Clean Eating? - ABC News

Old 03-07-2015, 10:42 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
i hang out with a lot of bodybuilders and it mostly just means don't eat dessert, donuts, fried food, junk food, fast food, microwavable ready to eat food, etc. personally I try to eat "clean" as I have a tendency towards high blood pressure that seems to go away if I keep my sodium intake low.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I hear this phrase used a lot, and I think I know what people mean by it, but I'm not sure. It seems like, based on contexts in which I've heard it, it could mean any of the following:

- no processed food
- no fat
- just meat and vegetables
- low carbs

What is meant, and why is it called "clean"? Is soy clean? What about whole grain bread? Corn?
That sounds like a ketogenic diet, not like a clean or natural diet. Clean means you eat less processed foods, but more natural foods. So you stock up on fruit, veggies, meats, potatoes, rice, bread, corn, whatever stuff that is natural. It means you skip eating refined sugars, pizza, ice cream, cakes, sweets in general. I'm more in the school that you can eat what you want when you want as long as you burn it off in the gym/working out or if you limit those things you eat.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
General rule of thumb that I was taught is that your butt should always be bigger than your tummy. If the opposite is true then your body is getting more of the bad stuff than the good stuff, as well as not enough exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink