Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 PM

172 posts, read 180,805 times

Advertisements

I've been using the Savings Catcher app for a year so I haven't really price matched anything at the register aside from some black Friday items. However since they did away with giving refunds for produce through it a few weeks ago, I will be price matching once again. I just make my list, go to a couponing website that allows me to search local store ads by item, and if I find a lower price I write it down next to the item on my list to tell the cashier when I am checking out (you don't need the ad with you). I try to put all those items at the end of my transaction and it is easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:07 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
I don't think I want the app. I have a smart phone but no data. It seems like a complicated process but I will look into it. Where do you look up items to find out what stores have them on sale? I like the idea of finding out beforehand and adding it to my list.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
You can just go online without using a phone app. You get the data to plug into the website from your receipt. You can enter up to 7 receipts per week.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:22 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You can just go online without using a phone app. You get the data to plug into the website from your receipt. You can enter up to 7 receipts per week.
Okay that sounds easier then. I think I still have the receipt from yesterday.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Actually, Kroger's is usually cheaper on most of the items that I buy, especially produce, meat, and canned goods.

And Aldi is substantially cheaper than both Kroger's and Walmart.

And what do you shop for at Walmart if not a lower price?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I stay away from Walmart on principal!
Same here.

But when I used to shop there I would see people price match any and everything. Even the ads from the local Mexican grocery atores. Wal-Mart will pretty much honor any price match. Besides the quality, other stores just can't compete.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:01 AM

172 posts, read 180,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I don't think I want the app. I have a smart phone but no data. It seems like a complicated process but I will look into it. Where do you look up items to find out what stores have them on sale? I like the idea of finding out beforehand and adding it to my list.
Not complicated at all. Pull up the app and scan the QR code at the bottom of the receipt. Takes about 10 seconds (much easier and less time than typing in everything at the website). We have a McDs with wifi in store so I usually do it before I leave the store.

I use Southern Savers | Grocery & Online Coupons & Deals :: Southern Savers to look up prices. The item search is on the right hand side of the home page. If you create an account, you can choose what stores to include or exclude in these searches.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
No.. for me it would be cheaper to go to work and work overtime and $32 per hour or whatever than take the time to clip coupons.. time is money and I don't like clipping coupons or trolling slickdeals.net for hours to save 2 dollars on something.. if I think I'll save $50 or more on something I'll start to mess around for deals.

Same reason I don't like selling stuff on ebay.. wasting time listing, having to deal with finding packaging for shipping, messing around with the post office. I'll just donate the stuff to charity and go work a couple hours of overtime. Less hassle.

I'm waiting for RFID chips so I no longer have to sit scanning barcodes... just walk through a sensor and everything gets automatically charged and I can leave. No cash, no coupons, just put that chip in my wrist already and make it so it can start my car, be my driver's license, pay for my items.. I don't want to carry a wallet ever again.. or keys.

I suppose I'll still need the smartphone as it has the internet on it and is my all in one information source...

Old 03-07-2015, 08:08 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I use the Walmart Savings Catcher, and am currently up to almost $30. I live in a small studio, so I can't buy in bulk like I usually do, so I visit Walmart every week, and while I'm there, I look for receipts that people have thrown on the ground.

I currently have seven receipts processing, and three ready to enter tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:14 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
I pray that I am never so poor I have to shop at Walmart.

Being frugal is one thing, but investing in my community is worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink