Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I often eat with co-workers outside and often one co-worker would always complain something is not salty or seasoned enough even if we all order the same.

I can understand when there is no seasoning. As someone that cooks at home, I often lightly season to meet different preferences.

When my wife said something needs more salt, she just adds more salt. I usually believe salt should be added moderately because it's easier to add more later than being too salty.

I had a co-worker send back a pork chop because he complained that it lacked seasoning. Which I believe is a preference since I tasted the pork chop and thought it was fine but just a bit dry for me. I would rather like it slightly rare for tenderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
What I don't get are the people who salt their food without even tasting it. It's gotta be a salt addiction!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I often eat with co-workers outside and often one co-worker would always complain something is not salty or seasoned enough even if we all order the same.

I can understand when there is no seasoning. As someone that cooks at home, I often lightly season to meet different preferences.

When my wife said something needs more salt, she just adds more salt. I usually believe salt should be added moderately because it's easier to add more later than being too salty.

I had a co-worker send back a pork chop because he complained that it lacked seasoning. Which I believe is a preference since I tasted the pork chop and thought it was fine but just a bit dry for me. I would rather like it slightly rare for tenderness.
Everyone has a different taste in seasonings. Some like it and some don't.

When you order a meal tell the waitress how you want it.

Tell them how you want you meat cooked when you order,
( rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well done, or burnt )
when you order is very simple to do.

Most places have salt and pepper on the tables so you can add more to your taste.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I think everything is overly salted...but I LIKE salt! Now, hubby has a problem...he's salt=restricted, so it's not good for him!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What I don't get are the people who salt their food without even tasting it. It's gotta be a salt addiction!
Did you know it was rumored that Henry Ford would take potential executive managers to eat, and if he noticed they salted their food prior to tasting it he would not hire them? The theory goes that it shows a lack of an open mind, and is plain rude towards the chefs abilities and the host that entertained you.

It's a rumor that has been around for quite a long while..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Salt added during cooking and salt added at the table after cooking have a very different impact on the flavor of the food. So saying "just add more salt at the table" won't really work for many dishes.

I say this being someone who has always craved salt (and have had low-normal blood pressure my entire life - it's finally, at 65, getting up into the "normal" range but that's, per my doctor, due to aging, not salt consumption), but who learned to cook with less salt than I prefer for other people. So I've experienced the difference in flavor both ways.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Yes! Taste buds are different across the board. Too spicy, not spicy. Too tangy, not tangy. And as you saw, too salty or not salty.

It doesn't bother me in the least if they salt without tasting, it's their choice. But I will admit I judge internally if you slather on ketchup on a well seasoned protein.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Salt added during cooking and salt added at the table after cooking have a very different impact on the flavor of the food. So saying "just add more salt at the table" won't really work for many dishes.

I say this being someone who has always craved salt (and have had low-normal blood pressure my entire life - it's finally, at 65, getting up into the "normal" range but that's, per my doctor, due to aging, not salt consumption), but who learned to cook with less salt than I prefer for other people. So I've experienced the difference in flavor both ways.
Yes, I would agree that you should season proteins properly before you cook such as steaks as it helps with the caramelization process. However, you don't necessarily taste the salt used for that purpose.

You can't salt the center of a thick piece of steak. That's when the drippings of the steak or steak sauce comes in handy.

My co-worker is complaining about the steak not being salty enough. I was thinking then he should've ordered a thinner steak that gets marinade instead of just seasoning. A nice skirt steak with a good marinade would suit him better since he likes flavoring locked into the meat.

In Japan, Japanese eat raw fish by dipping into a preferred amount of wasabi and soy sauce.

In America, most Americans expect sushi and raw fish to be smothered with seasoned mayo sauce or that spicy mayo. Which is why special rolls are so popular here while in Japan you rarely see that rolls covered in sauces.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

In America, most Americans expect sushi and raw fish to be smothered with seasoned mayo sauce or that spicy mayo. Which is why special rolls are so popular here while in Japan you rarely see that rolls covered in sauces.
Really? I have only ever seen that on supermarket sushi.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:39 PM

61,707 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Definitely! I see it all the times.
The kitchen staff has prepared the food with care and it is an insult to the chef to add salt, pepper, ketchup or any seasoning before tasting it.

Sadly, lots of people lack table manners...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink