Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
What kind are the black things put on ordinary pizzas? They don't taste like anything to me, just filler adding a little black color. I know they're bought in gallon sized cans by the pizzeria.
Exactly why I suggested to avoid any canned ones. Blergh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You have to try the Sicilian Castelvetrano olive - that's my favorite snacking olive. It's found at most olive bars and is also available in jars.

I'm serious - you absolutely have to try them.

Oh yah! And Cerignola. And Liguria.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:36 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,139 times
I find it rather amazing that in this day and age some people are still stuck on black and green canned olives. Find an olive bar and get 2 of each kind, you may not like them all, but you will never go back to canned

Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 PM

6,966 posts, read 4,807,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You have to try the Sicilian Castelvetrano olive - that's my favorite snacking olive. It's found at most olive bars and is also available in jars.

I'm serious - you absolutely have to try them.
I love most olives, I do like a good olive bar. I've never seen one with labels, however....how would I know a Sicilian Castelvetrano from any other garden variety olive bar olive?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Canned black olives are not brined or fermented like most olives. After soaking green olives in lye (a normal process for many types of olives, they are subjected to forced oxygenation and sometimes a ferrous (iron) solution to blacken them.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I love most olives, I do like a good olive bar. I've never seen one with labels, however....how would I know a Sicilian Castelvetrano from any other garden variety olive bar olive?
Look at the selection of olives and pick-out the lightest green olive that hasn't been pitted - that's probably the Castelvetrano. Once you've successfully identified a Castelvetrano you'll instantly recognize them from that point on. Even the ones in the jar are great - look for the Mezzetta brand.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:49 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Here's something that might help you decide:

A Beginner's Guide to Olives: 14 Varieties Worth Seeking Out | Serious Eats

I love Kalamata olives. My absolute favorite, though, are black, salty, and very wrinkled... and I don't know the name of them. My grocery store always has them in little containers at the deli section, but the name of them is never on the label. They look like the Nyon and the Beldi ones in the article I linked above. They are so delicious.

ETA: Oh, and I'll cut up green olives -- the kind that you get in a jar from a grocery shelf -- and put them on pizza (along with anchovies). I do like my salt, apparently!
From your description, those are probably oil-cured. All kinds of olives can be delicious in salads, but instead of a lettuce salad, try a Greek vegetable one with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, and olives. You could also add in some chopped or sliced bell peppers and, most importantly, some crumbled feta. So much better than your typical lettuce concoction. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
The ones in the markets near me have labels, in your case I'd bring it to the store manager's attention. Nothing wrong with expecting to know what it is you're buying.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The ones in the markets near me have labels, in your case I'd bring it to the store manager's attention. Nothing wrong with expecting to know what it is you're buying.
I took a look at my olive bar. It's a small one so I am sure at the larger stores there's more details. But this one said, Greek Olives, Spanish Olives and Olive Medley. Also was Pepper Medley and Roasted garlic. Only ones that had more of a name were describing what it was stuffed with.

Mystery olives indeed. lol

Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I took a look at my olive bar. It's a small one so I am sure at the larger stores there's more details. But this one said, Greek Olives, Spanish Olives and Olive Medley. Also was Pepper Medley and Roasted garlic. Only ones that had more of a name were describing what it was stuffed with.

Mystery olives indeed. lol
I think a lot may depend on the level of competition in the area. I've noticed in my area that since a Trader Joe's and Whole (paycheck) Foods opened in the last coupla years the other chains are going to great lengths to improve varieties of what they have as well as customer service.

My biggest gripe with some of the olive bars near me is they're often out of the oil cured black ones I like as a base for tapenade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink