Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times

Advertisements

When I was taking health class in high school back in the early '80s, we toured a local meat packing plant that produced cold cuts. Google "video of bologna making" or some such thing sometime. That's all I'm saying on the matter.

Urp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 04:07 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
We ate that stuff up as kids as that is what pops ate in his day. Some mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, roman meal or wonder bread and done. Add a pickle or some cole slaw. I wonder if Oscar Mayer still makes those variety packs- bologna, cotto salami, salami for beer, canadian bacon, etc.et.c

Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I did the same thing a month or so ago. Bought the bologna and Roman Meal bread, that was what I ate in high school nearly every day back in the 70's. It was a nostalgia thing. I ended up tossing most of the bologna since after a few sandwiches I was over it and nobody else wanted it. The bread I ate, but it's not as good as my regular brand.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I cannot find Roman Meal in my Publix here in Miami. OP made me nostalgic. Sheez, I will want vienna sausages next or maybe deviled ham.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
"Baloney" is a perfectly acceptable, dictionary-sanctioned alternate spelling of bologna.

Baloney keeps well in the refrigerator - like most cold cuts, it's loaded with preservatives so that the manufacturer doesn't get sued for food poisoning. If it gets too old, it will have a funny smell.

German balonies are by far the best in general, though I haven't tried the Amish ones yet (but the Amish are originally from Germany anyways). If you want a decent, ultra-cheap packaged baloney, go to Aldis and try out theirs, as long as it's marked as being from Germany.

Boar's Head baloney is over-rated in my opinion, stiff and bland. A good bologna is limp after slicing.

I make a snack that's lower in carbs than a sandwich. Take two slices of bologna, put them together, smear lightly with mayo, put a thin strip of cheddar cheese on it, mustard on that, and top it with pepperoncini. Then fold or roll it.

Ring bologna is the same meat in sausage form - it's very good and tastes better when fried than slices. Or you can use chunks in cooking, same as any sausage.

Last edited by Woof; 03-10-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Our local gas station/deli/bbq actually lists "Fried Bologna Sandwich" on the menu. When a relative came from CA to visit, he thought that was hilarious. I told him to try it, it's not bad.

I haven't had it in a few years.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
talk about once in a while bologna, I like once in a while fried spam sandwiches, after about two. i'm good for a year

Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
...Google "video of bologna making" or some such thing sometime...
Just makes me crave it even more.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
...A good bologna is limp after slicing...
Oh yeah - that means it has plenty of fat in it.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
So many years have gone by since I had a bologna sandwich, when I saw it yesterday I decided to buy some. Little did I know opening it would be so difficult. The label says "Resealable," which sounds like a good idea, so I didn't want to destroy that ability, but couldn't see a way to get into the package.

Finally went to the website and discovered this major brand belonged to another major brand and apparently didn't have much standing from the lack of notice on the website. I finally gave up and took a sharp ice pick-like tool that was handy and began experimenting. Finally successful!

I had the sandwich. Now, what to do with the remaining slices of bologna? Is there any way to serve it besides in a sandwich? (I still think it should be spelled baloney.)
You need an X-Acto knife. A box cutter a bit much for the job.

I haven't had a bologna sandwich in years. You had to start this thread, didn't you? I like thinly sliced Boar's Head for a cold sandwich. As someone upstream said, you need a thicker slice if you're going to fry it.

My mother wouldn't buy bologna when I was a kid. She called it junk food. Interestingly, she fed us hot dogs weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink