Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 10:14 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm pretty sure you can learn to cook healthy meals (while camping and otherwise) and also enjoy a hot dog. Boy Scout or not.

You can develop and practice healthy eating habits AND occasionally consume something that is minimally healthy.

I can feast a platter of amazingly prepared healthful homemade food with a wide array of nutrients represented...AND go to happy hour for wings and beers.

Kids can order chicken strips of a children's menu in a restaurant and NOT have that be an indication of horrendous eating habits overall.

Ordering off a kiddie menu does not = obese with no clue about healthy dietary behavior.
Don't disagree at all. After all we feel eating out is an indulgence, and I was very precise in my prior comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Here's something to chew on (pardon the pun)-
CDC - Obesity - Facts - Adolescent and School Health

Quote:
Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years.
The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to nearly 21% over the same period.

In 2012, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.

Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3 Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.

Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6
Quote:
Prevention
Healthy lifestyle habits, including healthy eating and physical activity, can lower the risk of becoming obese and developing related diseases.6

The dietary and physical activity behaviors of children and adolescents are influenced by many sectors of society, including families, communities, schools, child care settings, medical care providers, faith-based institutions, government agencies, the media, and the food and beverage industries and entertainment industries.

Schools play a particularly critical role by establishing a safe and supportive environment with policies and practices that support healthy behaviors. Schools also provide opportunities for students to learn about and practice healthy eating and physical activity behaviors.
That's all I'm going to say. Damn me for being a food Nazi, damn me for seeing first hand the kids affected, and damn me for recognizing kids menus and 'nuggets' are crap food.

Big deal. Munch out guys. We just had Apple Pi pie after having supper and we're watching a movie. It's family night.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Maybe this timeline wilol help ---

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...uggets%3B%2Cc0

Old 03-14-2015, 10:54 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
When did I ever say that?!! All I said is I do see kids in Scouts bringing bagged dinners A LOT. I see overweight kids A LOT. My best friends kid was catered to A LOT. My wife is a teacher- she sees it ALL the time! I don't think the parents are horrible, I think it's pretty stupid- yes.

Guess what? It's a BSA requirement for boys to learn how to cook healthy meals even while camping.
It's parents that I see pushing back as much as the kids do. That's what's shocking! Theirs your 'snowflake'! Momma says "Johnny will ONLY eat this".

You seriously that upset that someone thinks that promoting good eating habits is bad? No wonder this country has the problem it has, lol.

I threw no names at anyone here, however I have been called 'judgmental', a 'food Nazi', 'superior' and naseum. For what? Saying we raised our kids a certain way, encouraged them to try different foods, conscious about their health and that I can recognize kids menus for what they are- nutritional nightmares.

Sure I don't want my kids to be obese- What's wrong with that??!!

It's funny- the labeling seems to be one-sided, doesn't it?
You are taking things really, really personally when no one directed a comment at you specifically.

Also, while you are teaching your kids about the horrors of chicken nuggets, please learn the difference between theirs/there's/etc. You can teach two lessons in one.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
When did I ever say that?!!
A few Posts ago, You said...

Quote:
I can only imagine what you let your kids shovel down their gullets. I guess that attitude is precisely why most chains tailor their kids menus the way they do, cause parents don't really think about it and let their kids free range feed on boxed crap at home so it's expected at a food establishment.

Quote:
You seriously that upset that someone thinks that promoting good eating habits is bad? No wonder this country has the problem it has, lol.
You know that is not it at all. Its the way you go about acting like you are better then everyone else because your children eat off of the regular menu and will eat lamb and what is basically a cheese pastry, even though its really not as uncommon as you think it is.

Healthy eating habits are great. Acting like everyone else (or at least almost everyone else) feeds there kids from the "crap menu" and "boxed crap at home"... not so great.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:33 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Finally, a voice of reason.
That's a pretty big leap you're taking there; hope you don't get hurt too bad on the way down. As pointed out upthread, eating chicken nuggets at a restaurant or eating a TV dinner or eating a meal on a tray is not necessarily how the rest of the week's meals go.
I have to agree with theatergypsy on that one. TV dinners were introduced in the 50s when most people cooked dinner mostly from scratch. Were convenience foods available? Absolutely, but not like today.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
It started in the '80s. I remember it pretty well. Man, I used to order a 20 piece from McDonalds and eat the whole thing. Now I could probably eat 9 and feel like crap. I miss my youth!

Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I think that moderation is the wrong idea.
Because we have total non-foods that parade around as eating options does not mean we HAVE TO suddenly make them part of our diet, even in moderation.

Y'all are mixing up having the occasional treat still made out of whole foods and ingredients with eating the plastic crap the dominates our food choices (many of which are illegal in other countries).

Old 03-15-2015, 03:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It started in the '80s. I remember it pretty well. Man, I used to order a 20 piece from McDonalds and eat the whole thing. Now I could probably eat 9 and feel like crap. I miss my youth!
I was around 10 when they came out on the menu, so no 20 piece for me. Six piece was the usual. What made them so delicious were the sauces ... honey mustard, spicy mustard and BBQ (all still kind of "exotic" back then) ... a whole world of flavors beyond simply ketchup opened up.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I was around 10 when they came out on the menu, so no 20 piece for me. Six piece was the usual. What made them so delicious were the sauces ... honey mustard, spicy mustard and BBQ (all still kind of "exotic" back then) ... a whole world of flavors beyond simply ketchup opened up.
didn't they have a plain "honey" sauce ??

I think they did, this made them sweet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink