Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 01:00 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

You haven't lived with teenagers, have you?
Wow, that's a sweeping conclusion based on some very limited information....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:33 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
...and that's a failure to recognize humor .

Old 03-16-2015, 08:51 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Thing is my kids did eat nuggets too- if they got good grades we always let them pick their meal it was their treat and I pointed that out in my post.
Off subject but I think rewarding kids with food is a huge no no. This is a common practice in America, it adds to our obesity problems. How often have you heard adults say they had a bad day so they are going to have a sweet to make them feel better?

Do any of your kids have weight issues?

We didn't eat out very often, but when we did my youngest son ate "chicken tenders" every time. He has grown up to be a normal adult that eats different foods and is quite slender.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Off subject but I think rewarding kids with food is a huge no no. This is a common practice in America, it adds to our obesity problems. How often have you heard adults say they had a bad day so they are going to have a sweet to make them feel better?

We didn't eat out very often, but when we did my youngest son ate "chicken tenders" every time. He has grown up to be a normal adult that eats different foods and is quite slender.
Schools contributed to this, too- I'm not sure if it still exists, but my kids' elementary school had a program called "Book It." They rewarded kids for reading books by giving them coupons for Pizza Hut pizza.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:10 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
We go out to eat at a nice restaurant to celebrate our kids hard work when they get good grades. That's four times a year on average. Neither of our kids have any weight issues.

In many cultures and countries dining is often a celebratory matter. It's also the same way that my wife and I were raised.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-16-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
I feed my children nothing but a brothy gruel mixed with a vegetable slurry with some pebbles thrown in for roughage. The rest of you can spoil your children rotten with separate protein, starch and veggie portions but my kids are going to grow up eating the old fashioned way, by gum. And when they're done they'll be well advised to hurry up and restock the corn cobs in the privy because that gruel goes right through you!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
...and that's a failure to recognize humor .
I just had to watch 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins to remind myself that I'm not delusional.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Which sweeping conclusion?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

To be fair GiGi, I think this is a global problem, at least in the countries with an ample food supply.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I think there is a difference between a celebratory meal and food used as a reward. My son doesn't get to eat candy because he did his homework. That would be a food reward, like training a dog with treats to do what you want them to do. But we went as a family for a fun activity and out to dinner to celebrate his excellent report card. Going out to eat isn't going to be something that will keep him motivated for a whole semester so it's not a direct reward for his actions. But IMO, it's a nice way to acknowledge that he accomplished something important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink