Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 PM

248 posts, read 340,937 times

Advertisements

Never. I know too much about prions. I'll eat the occasional turkey, chicken or fish but mammals are too close to humans genetically and I worry about disease jump between similar species (me and them).

Working in the medical field for several decades has its hazards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
Three-four times a month. Even with the recent research showing maybe saturated fat isn't all that bad, I try to keep red meat as a treat. So when we have it, it's a Porterhouse steak. (He gets the strip steak side, I get the filet mignon side.*)

We have salmon once a week, and tuna (steaks, not canned) three-four times a month. Shrimp a couple times a month, same for scallops. Mussels a few times a month. Crab monthly unless it's on sale. Chicken a lot more often. Lamb once a month is a lot. Pork a couple times a month.

I had a heart attack 14 years ago and though I haven't done everything right since, we did change our habits when it comes to the main dinner entree.

* It took 30 years of marriage before I learned that a Porterhouse steak has two different cuts, divided by a bone. DH has always liked NY Strip; I prefer a small filet mignon. Lo and behold! A Porterhouse steak has both!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:33 AM

61,712 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Is it? I know it's lean, but once you cook beef and get rid of any noticeable fat, is it that much worse?
I would think that lamb/goat meat from grass feed, outdoor grazing animals should be healthier than from caged pigs, chicken and cattle, but sadly conventional lambs are usually "finished" (grown to maturity) in feedlots where they are fed specially formulated feed That's why I buy grass fed, pasture raised meat.
Goat meat is lower in fat than chicken, but higher in protein than beef. Goat meat outshines traditional meat sources in most areas: it's lower in calories, total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. The low levels of saturated fat and cholesterol, combined with its high iron and protein content, make goat meat a good choice for anyone looking for a healthy red meat. It's a leaner, healthier choice when compared to equal serving sizes of chicken, beef and pork.
Lamb is not marbled (fat in the meat) as is beef, the lamb’s fat is on the outside edges and is easily trimmed. Over half of the fat in lamb is unsaturated. Only 36% of the fat in lamb is saturated. Most of the unsaturated fat is monounsaturated, commonly found in a healthy Mediterranean-type diet. Good source of protein, omega acids, iron , vit. B.
Lean lamb has a delicate, mild, almost sweet flavor.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I consider red meat only beef

Im a butcher so I take things literally,,,red meat is not pork or chicken

although some claim it is

to your question...
beef, a steak or roast may once or twice a week,,,burgers and sausage once a week

pork ribs pork chops,, pork tenderloin,,,,twice a week

chicken,,,2-3 times a week,,

bacon, eggs, maybe 2-3 times per week

yeah I eats lots and lots of protein,,,my dr. said whatever im doing,,,keep doing it,,,I have better bloodwork than he does(and he's close to a vegan) and im not on any medications,,,,

we've heard many many many times how red meat is bad for you, below is an article saying it has some good benefits

7 Evidence-Based Health Reasons to Eat Meat
Are you looking to adopt? Even if just for alternet weekends and two weeks each summer?

Seriously, we prepare red meat (sticking to beef definition) typically once a week during grilling months, though may grill enough to have additional for fajitas or burritos the following large meal (usually the next evenings dinner). And it is mostly grilling for us for beef, with the exception of meat for chili in the winter months. Not much beef in the winter for us. And when we do, it is quality beef (even for chili) over quantity.

Maybe once a month, I will have a burger. But again, with quality ground roast or bison (the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN, has a bison/antelope burger that is fantastic; plus more than 100 tap lines and my favorite deck in the Twin Cities, though the 100 tap lines may skew my thinking a bit on that ...).

Old 03-17-2015, 02:48 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I don't count, but good dietary practices put meat consumption at about 4 ounces a day. The key to healthy eating is to eat chemically complex foods that include lots of different animal and plant bits.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I binge.

In a red meat heavy week, I will have 1-2 lbs. Over 3-4 days. Then I will go a week or three with maybe only a quarter to a half pound a week in one meal.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Three-four times a month. Even with the recent research showing maybe saturated fat isn't all that bad, I try to keep red meat as a treat. So when we have it, it's a Porterhouse steak. (He gets the strip steak side, I get the filet mignon side.*)

We have salmon once a week, and tuna (steaks, not canned) three-four times a month. Shrimp a couple times a month, same for scallops. Mussels a few times a month. Crab monthly unless it's on sale. Chicken a lot more often. Lamb once a month is a lot. Pork a couple times a month.

I had a heart attack 14 years ago and though I haven't done everything right since, we did change our habits when it comes to the main dinner entree.

* It took 30 years of marriage before I learned that a Porterhouse steak has two different cuts, divided by a bone. DH has always liked NY Strip; I prefer a small filet mignon. Lo and behold! A Porterhouse steak has both!
and a T-bone steak is the same steak, but has a smaller tenderloin

my stepfather had a heart attack, and the first thing the dr. recommended to consume when he got home was lean beef

red-meat gets a bad wrap for being fatty. unhealthy, causing heart disease, and on and on

I can respect anyone's opinion, but im in the industry , and get the "health scare" questions everyday ... these questions are often myth/unfactually based - on misinformation or agenda driven news/info- with a broad brush, the anti-meat voices are loud

pink slime is a good example,,,im still getting questions about pink slime ... tho ive never sold it in my stores, and most butcher shops/small iga's never did,,it was mostly the large supermarkets and Walmart with their coarse grind/ burger stock...but the media made no distinction, so the whole industry got pink slimed

of course this scared every mother - and this was the intention

for lean beef/to avoid fats, just buy the leaner cuts, the eye round, top round, sirloin tip steaks they are just about as lean as boneless chicken breasts- yes they are a bit tough without the marbling,,,but just slice thin,,,still tasty!
big difference between the steaks, of how lean or fatty they are, never much distinction in the media,,
some folks have cut back on burger because of e-coli,,,well, if you cook your burgers to 160f it kills any and all bacteria ...

we just got Netflix,,,my god all the food shows on there scare the hell out of most anyone..
again,,,the whole industry gets broad brushed,,,,,
and that is the intention....
this doesn't represent my world at all....but again no distinctions are made.

red meat use to be a treat in most of society- my grandmothers use to tell me when they were growing up, they'd raise there own chickens (and they would prep the birds to eat)
and beef was a rare treat....often in soups/stews so it lasts longer...pork was a mainstay, hogs will have 8-12 in a litter of piglets where a cow would have one calf- pigs were much more plentiful..

I found this online,
they consider lamb and pork RED meat along with beef

In 2007, the U.S. produced 48.8 billion pounds of red meat. Red meat includes beef, veal, lamb, mutt on and pork. American meat packers produced 26.5 billion pounds of beef, 155 million pounds of veal, 189 million pounds of lamb and mutt on and 21 billion pounds of pork
Poultry production in the U.S. in 2007 totaled 42.7 billion pounds, with chicken production totaling 36.6 billion pounds and turkey production totaling 5.96 billion pounds.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
We have grilled steak about once a month, go out for burgers not more than once a month. I make meatballs and red gravy a couple of times a year. We probably have some pork product or other once a week or so (bacon and eggs or a ham sandwich); I buy a small ham at Christmas and Easter. The rest of the time it's chicken, turkey (I get the turkey breast Costco sells and roast it), fish, or something vegetarian. I only buy skinless and trimmed chicken breasts at this point. If I get a whole chicken no one ever eats anything but the breast meat. We get some Asian take-out or another about once a week and a pizza a couple of times a month. Those rarely have any red meat in them. Nobody in my family likes pepperoni on their pizza. I've never cooked veal, lamb, or mutton in my life. For special occasions I sometimes make beef brisket. Fork-tender brisket is my personal favorite way to eat beef.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Going to start putting meals on a rotation so we can stock up for the hot summer. Try to keep the red meat consumption low. Don't know if it's because I'm brainwashed or because it really is dangerous to eat red meat too often.

Wondering what the average out there is for red meat consumption and how do you prepare it? Right now we are at two to three times a month, but with the meal rotation it will likely go up to one to three times a week some times. I will be preparing and freezing things like taco meat, spaghetti meat sauce, hamburgers, Asian broccoli and beef, beef stew.
I really don't have a clue if the amount of red meat is going to hurt any of us. My dad lived to be 93 and mom in law 97. Neither ever heard of watching how much red meat they were eating. That being said, we have cut way back, maybe for health reasons, maybe just because we like so many different thing. I really don't know. I think it did have to do with spoiled brats angio plasty when we was only 50 years old.

We eat it more than 3 or 4 times a month, that is for sure. We do eat much smaller portions than we used to. Normally we like steak about once every 10 days, something with hamburger once a week and maybe a pot roast, brats made of beef or something like that every so often. I am guessing we eat beef about twice a week average. We eat chicken at least twice a week, one veggie night (or we try) pork and fish the rest of the time. Of course I think of only beef as being red meat and although we are told it is not good for us, who knows what they will tell us next week or next year?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would think that lamb/goat meat from grass feed, outdoor grazing animals should be healthier than from caged pigs, chicken and cattle, but sadly conventional lambs are usually "finished" (grown to maturity) in feedlots where they are fed specially formulated feed That's why I buy grass fed, pasture raised meat.
Goat meat is lower in fat than chicken, but higher in protein than beef. Goat meat outshines traditional meat sources in most areas: it's lower in calories, total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. The low levels of saturated fat and cholesterol, combined with its high iron and protein content, make goat meat a good choice for anyone looking for a healthy red meat. It's a leaner, healthier choice when compared to equal serving sizes of chicken, beef and pork.
Lamb is not marbled (fat in the meat) as is beef, the lamb’s fat is on the outside edges and is easily trimmed. Over half of the fat in lamb is unsaturated. Only 36% of the fat in lamb is saturated. Most of the unsaturated fat is monounsaturated, commonly found in a healthy Mediterranean-type diet. Good source of protein, omega acids, iron , vit. B.
Lean lamb has a delicate, mild, almost sweet flavor.
I believe grass fed beef has about the same nutritional values as range lamb when it comes fats (good and bad), proteins etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink