Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times

Advertisements

For colon cancer?

I cut out a majority of processed foods a couple years ago. Which is like 95% of the stuff in the middle of the grocery store. Stick to the edges!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
For colon cancer?

I cut out a majority of processed foods a couple years ago. Which is like 95% of the stuff in the middle of the grocery store. Stick to the edges!
A 2009 study performed at Children's Hospital & Research Center in Oakland identified a class of therapeutic agents found in soy that can prevent and possibly treat colon cancer. I can't speak to the validity of the study, but you might want to take a look.

Red meat consumption is positively correlated with colon cancer, and that's been replicated in many, many research studies, but I don't see people rushing to give up their hamburgers.

BTW, I'm completely on board with mostly shopping the perimeter of the grocery store with a brief detour through the freezer section to pick up bags of frozen berries and spinach and the bulk section for whole grains, olive oil, and nuts.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-19-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
In real life, I rarely ever talk about my food choices, because people can get weird about it. The nice ones will say something about how they're starting to eat more fish ... but I have had 2 people (both avid hunters, ironically) who were down right a--holes about it: 1 came at me with a hamburger patty and the other mixed meat drippings into my food and told me about it afterwards. ETa: oh, and one other person told me I was being "unbiblical".
I just want to say, those are not the normal reactions of meat eaters, those are the actions of anti-social jerks. Tampering with someone's food, in particular, even something as 'innocuous' as adding an undesired food, is borderline psychopath behavior.

Find new 'friends'.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A 2009 study performed at Children's Hospital & Research Center in Oakland identified a class of therapeutic agents found in soy that can prevent and possibly treat colon cancer. I can't speak to the validity of the study, but you might want to take a look.

Red meat consumption is positively correlated with colon cancer, and that's been replicated in many, many research studies, but I don't see people rushing to give up their hamburgers.

BTW, I'm completely on board with mostly shopping the perimeter of the grocery store with a brief detour through the freezer section to pick up bags of frozen berries and spinach and the bulk section for whole grains, olive oil, and nuts.
Colon cancer is not common in Asia where Soy is highly consumed.

Colon cancer linked to viruses in beef, Nobel-winning scientist contends

Quote:
Second, zur Hausen found that the increased risk for red meat seems to be restricted to countries with a high rate of beef consumption. Countries with a high dietary intake of mutton and goat, such as Arabian states, have a relatively low incidence of colorectal cancer compared to North America, Europe and Australia. India, where beef is largely avoided due to religious reasons, has the lowest rate of colorectal cancers in the world.

Last edited by vision33r; 03-19-2015 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM

84 posts, read 119,324 times
My wife is from Japan. Before her my thought of tofu went back to the 70's when someone thought it would be cool to make tofu hotdogs. Grossist crap ever! Yet, after I married her my outlook on tofu changed. I eat it when she makes if it's not in Miso soup, but when other foods like Mabo dofoo (probably not correct spelling), I love it!

As far as myths go, well that what they are: myths. BTW, my wife thought the idea of eating tofu hotdogs was gross too.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Oh, I know. The one who put meat drippings in my food I never spoke to again after I left, but I straightened it out with Hamburger Guy. He thought he was being funny, but I told him flat out "I've never tried to push my diet on you or anyone else. Can you see the irony of your literally shoving your views in my face?" He felt really bad, especially after I made it a point to tell him that I have no issues with hunting, even if I choose not to eat the end product. AND I always bring BLT coleslaw to cook outs (with real bacon). As penance he ate a veggie burger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I just want to say, those are not the normal reactions of meat eaters, those are the actions of anti-social jerks. Tampering with someone's food, in particular, even something as 'innocuous' as adding an undesired food, is borderline psychopath behavior.

Find new 'friends'.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Never eat it, have a sensitivity to anything soy related, don't trust the Monsanto roundup and pesticides they spray on soybeans.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
I'm not understanding why so many in this thread are acting as though tofu is some highly-processed product. The only ingredients needed for tofu are water and soybeans!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
So you're saying preaching one lifestyle choice against another is okay, as long is it agrees with your lifestyle choice? Anything to the contrary is moot?
I find that interesting. One argument over 'ethics', rules out over anothers idea of 'ethics'.
This is a common objection from meat eaters. It's an attempt to reduce ethics to a matter of opinion, but it's doubtful that you actually believe such a thing. If a murderer said that he thought his actions were right, and that you shouldn't come at him with your own view of "ethics," you wouldn't cede the argument and say "Fine -- you can have your ethics, and I can have mine." The same can be said for racism, sexism, etc. I doubt you would have the same "I'll do me and you can do you" mentality on those topics. So, you don't actually believe that it is absurd for one view of ethics to rule out another view of ethics. You really do believe in moral truth, you just don't think this is an issue where such truth exists.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Soy contains phytoestrogens. They do have measurable biological effects in mammals consuming them. (As tofu is basically a processed food, its not clear to me how much of the original phyoestrogen content is in there compared to the unadulterated soy bean - someone must have studied that though). Some scientists have suggested that the effect is an evolutionary measure to reduce fertility in male herbivores grazing on said plants. That's just a speculation of course. Research is ongoing re. effects on human, they may be more protective against pathologies in women, but nothing definitive yet. And the chances that once-weekly tofu consumption would have a significant effect on a male - virtually zero.
The phytoestrogens compete with actual estrogen for estrogen receptors, reducing the amount of actual estrogen uptake.

https://pcrm.org/health/cancer-resou...the-expert-soy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink