Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have tried eating Thai food a couple of time and I didn't enjoy it. There were "things" in the rice that I wasn't used to. The entree wasn't that flavorful either.

I love both Chinese and Indian food, at least the US versions. One of the dishes that looks interesting is garlic chicken.

I like Chinese rice and noodles. But I don't like weird things in it that I'm not used to, like tomatoes.

I also DON'T like nuts or peas. Well... maybe peas. But NO nuts! (NO nuts!)

Thanks for any help.

What? You tried a new cuisine and they had stuff in it you weren't used to? Like it was new or something?
Jeeze, I'd ask for my money back.

Or just drop the whole weirdly childish "weird things" attitude and try starting off with a spicy green papaya salad (ask them to hold your nuts) , a tom yum soup and then a thai basil chicken dish or a Panaeng.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
most thai rice is just plain jasmine rice

it shouldn't have "weird things" in it

try mussaman curry... most people seem to like that

personally i really like red curry. in fact, i think i will pick some up tonight.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Some of these dishes sound good, but when I look up the ingredients they have things like cashews which I don't like. Sorry, I've always thought most nuts tasted weird, and it may very well be that I have a mild allergy to some of them. I get a headache just thinking about eating them.

I would just like plain food without all those little weird things in it. I wish they would just serve more appropriate things. I'm sure the food is very good for those who appreciate it, but I just don't like foreign objects in my food. Sorry.

But I still appreciate the suggestions.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Most Thai food is made up of an assortment of those "little weird things" so it will be unlikely you'll find "plain" food on a Thai menu. Usually, cuisines which mainly consist of foods to be eaten with chopsticks are always cut into small pieces. They don't really do foods in one mass such as the mashed potatoes or steak you might find in a different type of cuisine.

Probably the closest you'd come to "plain" Thai food would be some sort of curry over rice. Which would be somewhat similar to stew over mashed potatoes, perhaps. We frequently get chicken curry over rice at our local Thai restaurant, it's similar to soup and rice, and we really enjoy it, although that may not seem like "plain" food to you.

For what it's worth, typical Thai folks, if they knew about it, might be in dismay about your usual menus and wonder why you'd like such limited foods and feel sorry for your lack of more interesting food choices.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Some of these dishes sound good, but when I look up the ingredients they have things like cashews which I don't like. Sorry, I've always thought most nuts tasted weird, and it may very well be that I have a mild allergy to some of them. I get a headache just thinking about eating them.

I would just like plain food without all those little weird things in it. I wish they would just serve more appropriate things. I'm sure the food is very good for those who appreciate it, but I just don't like foreign objects in my food. Sorry.

Foreign objects in your food? It's the dish....they are an ingredient....not a stray piece of metal or garbage.

If you do not like an ingredient or (even more so are allergic to it!!!) why would you order a dish that had it?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
One question, when you order an entree does it come with that strange rice every time?

I like ramen noodles. Or the various kinds of Chinese rice.
I've never had problems with the rice at Thai restaurants. Maybe it's the cook at the restaurant you went to. Maybe he likes to make something like pilaf, which has nuts and raisins in it. I've never had nuts in Thai food. Try a different restaurant.

You can ask the waiter if there are tomatoes in the dishes you're interested in, or nuts. That's what the waiter is for. You can also request plain rice, without the extras. You can also request no sugar in the sauce. It will still be flavorful if you order a curry, but it won't be too sweet. The coconut milk they use for the curry has some natural sweetness, but without the added sugar (a Thai restaurant owner told me that ALL Thai sauces have sugar, unless you request otherwise) it won't be overly sweet.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 PM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Quote:

If you don't like specific things in your food (e.g. nuts, tomatoes, too much sugar), you should ask the server if they can leave out that item. If you have a real allergy to nuts, that's an entirely separate issue; nut allergies are often anaphylactic, so you will want to avoid eating at restaurants that handle nuts if you are allergic.

I'm doubtful you're being serious about your comments about disliking food with "all those little weird things," wishing restaurants would "serve more appropriate things," and saying you dislike "foreign objects" in your food.

But assuming you're actually sincere: Can you specify what kind of food qualifies as "those little weird things" and "foreign objects"? Also, can you share what you think would be "more appropriate things" to serve instead? This would enable people to recommend dishes for you to order.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Most Thai food is made up of an assortment of those "little weird things" so it will be unlikely you'll find "plain" food on a Thai menu. Usually, cuisines which mainly consist of foods to be eaten with chopsticks are always cut into small pieces. They don't really do foods in one mass such as the mashed potatoes or steak you might find in a different type of cuisine.
Thai food isn't made to be eaten with chopsticks... Thais don't use chopsticks.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I love good Thai food! It is a balance of sweet, salty, spicy and sour. A few of my favorite Thai dishes:

Pad Thai
Massaman curry
Larb
Pad See Eiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Thai food isn't made to be eaten with chopsticks... Thais don't use chopsticks.
The best Pad Thai I ever, ever had and I have eaten it all over the world and even in Thailand, was made right here at a rest. in Lakeland, Fl. They closed them down for cheating on sales tax but their food was excellent. The owner had been a food manager at one of the resorts at Disney for many years.

I don't like real sweet Pad Thai and this wasn't. I miss it.

I like Thai food and Vietnamese food, a lot. The beef salads are my favorites. I can't take it too hot though. When my daughter and I were in Bangkok on a tour, we ate street food and it doggone near took the hair off my tongue, it was so hot....my daughter loved it.

And this....Whole Crispy Thai Fish with Alaskan Som Tum : Recipes : Cooking Channel

I think Vietnamese food is a little lighter...jmo.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
The best Pad Thai I ever, ever had and I have eaten it all over the world and even in Thailand, was made right here at a rest. in Lakeland, Fl. They closed them down for cheating on sales tax but their food was excellent. The owner had been a food manager at one of the resorts at Disney for many years.

I don't like real sweet Pad Thai and this wasn't. I miss it.

I like Thai food and Vietnamese food, a lot. The beef salads are my favorites. I can't take it too hot though. When my daughter and I were in Bangkok on a tour, we ate street food and it doggone near took the hair off my tongue, it was so hot....my daughter loved it.

And this....Whole Crispy Thai Fish with Alaskan Som Tum : Recipes : Cooking Channel

I think Vietnamese food is a little lighter...jmo.
I love the beef (and pork) laab salads too, which by the way are actually from Laos originally. When I lived in DC there was a terrific Laotian restaurant we used to go to a lot that made some great laab. I think Vietnamese is lighter too, obviously no where near as spicy and more reflective of their time as a French colony in terms of technique and flavor balance. Not a big fan of the Pho (soups) oddly enough since I've never been a soup lover but cannot pass up on the Pork and Vermicelli Noodles (it's called Bun) whenever I'm in a Vietnamese restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink