Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,374,983 times

Advertisements

It is so bland, it's barely edible. What can I add that would make it more palatable? Part of it is just me, because I've lost some sense of taste, but surely this chowder can be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 10:07 AM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Are you talking about the light clam chowder or the regular clam chowder? In either case, add butter and maybe some onion salt. Of course, that defeats the 'light' version.

I've never had a canned clam chowder (white) that I enjoyed enough to purchase it again. Red may be better, but I'm not a red chowder fan.

That said, the Progresso light chicken and dumplings soup is pretty good.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are you talking about the light clam chowder or the regular clam chowder? In either case, add butter and maybe some onion salt. Of course, that defeats the 'light' version.

I've never had a canned clam chowder (white) that I enjoyed enough to purchase it again. Red may be better, but I'm not a red chowder fan.

That said, the Progresso light chicken and dumplings soup is pretty good.
It's the light version, but it doesn't matter that additions may change it as I need to gain weight anyway. I probably bought the light one because it's the one I noticed. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM

61,025 posts, read 85,838,736 times
It's canned, processed food so don't expect to be tasty. Saute up some bacon bits with some onion pieces mix in fat and add to the chowder. Fresh chopped dill might help too. Or powdered garlic, or lemon garlic pepper. You can make it a bit thinner with milk, or sour cream.
No salt. It has already plenty of salt.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's canned, processed food so don't expect to be tasty. Saute up some bacon bits with some onion pieces mix in fat and all to the chowder add a fair amount of coarse ground black pepper and some seasoned salt. Fresh chopped dill might help too. Or powdered garlic, or lemon garlic pepper.
Thanks for the suggestions... I know it's canned and while I didn't expect it to be wonderful, I hoped it would be better than what it is. lol

Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,718,339 times
Honestly, I would return it and head to the deli for their clam chowder. Theirs is decent of you don't want to make your own. But anything milk/cream based in a can isn't good. I would stick with broth/tomato soups if you need canned.

Other than that, maybe get a can of clams, celery and onion. Sauté diced celery and onions in a bit of butter till soft, add clams and then add canned soup with a can of half and half.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Honestly, I would return it and head to the deli for their clam chowder. Theirs is decent of you don't want to make your own. But anything milk/cream based in a can isn't good. I would stick with broth/tomato soups if you need canned.

Other than that, maybe get a can of clams, celery and onion. Sauté diced celery and onions in a bit of butter till soft, add clams and then add canned soup with a can of half and half.
No canned milk products, please! And what about the potatoes?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,718,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No canned milk products, please! And what about the potatoes?
? Are you asking if I buy canned milk or potatoes? I don't buy either.

Or are you saying to add potatoes to the clam chowder to doctor it up? That's a good idea too if the canned soup doesn't have any potatoes in it already.

ETA: Omigosh I see what you bolded! No no no, not canned half and half, I meant a can OF half and half instead of the can of milk it usually calls for.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:28 PM

19,371 posts, read 22,309,954 times
I usually add tobasco sauce to mine.

But you are right- their clam chowder is pretty dull. I rarely buy it.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
Sweat a sweet onion - or a leek - in a small amount of butter.

Pour in a couple of boxes of chicken stock. Or use chicken base with water (you can also buy organic chicken base, which is what I usually do). Put in enough stock to be able to cover the potatoes that you are about to throw in.

Speaking of...Cut up some new potatoes. I often use red. Throw them in.

Add about 1/8 t. of pepper, 1/8 t. thyme, 1/8 t. marjoram. Certainly adjust this to your preference.

Just before the potatoes are tender, throw in a can of chopped clams. I usually use Booth Bay brand, but any will work. They usually come in a 6.5 oz can, and if I feel that I want more clams, I throw in an extra can. Depends on my mood. Make sure to put the liquid from the clams in, as well.

When the potatoes are tender, throw in a bit of half-and-half. I've never heard of it canned. Use fresh. Frankly, I use heavy cream, but that's me. Don't put a lot in, just enough to make it a bit white.

I'm from New England. Do not throw in flour. Blech!

This may seem complicated, but it is incredibly easy, once you do it. You will never eat canned chowder again. And next time, you can add or subtract, according to what you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink