Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better: Shake Shack vs In-N-Out vs Five Guys
Shake Shack 12 17.14%
In-N-Out 33 47.14%
Five Guys 25 35.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You might think that, but no, not in my experience.

My sole experience with Shake Shake was on the upper east side, where somebody I was with was insistent that we go, because this was a lifechanging burger place. Such a long line and so crowded that people were eating in the outside seating area...at the end of December in a blizzard. So I was like, "Wow, this must really be great." When I got my food, so disappointed that I'd waited in a line out the door in the snow for it. Just, no.
The one I saw was somewhere around 5th Avenue (I think). As a tourist, my time was valuable, so I wasn't at all tempted to spend a long time waiting in that line when I could be doing something else. I don't even remember much for seating around the place, anyway. What a waste of a lunch hour for the standing in line.

Are they most popular for their shakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Haven't been to Shake Shack.

I've enjoyed Five Guys every time I've been. It is pricey, but it's a lot of food. I'm always stuffed (which means I shouldn't eat it too often!).

They don't have In N Out here in GA but I've been to two different locations in the DFW area. It's much cheaper and I appreciate the value. The burger was pretty good but I just don't like the fries at all. Both times they seemed old, like they had been sitting out for half an hour. I just can't get past the fries. I much prefer Whataburger for a similar price point.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:50 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Five Guys is great me and you get bang for your buck. I haven't tried In-N-Out, but I've heard too many conflicting stories about In-N-Out. Shake Shack isn't bad, but they are too expensive and you certainly aren't having leftovers.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't like 5 guys, their burgers are dry and chunky. I've never heard of shake shack and never been to in and out. So none for me.
Same here.

I recently tried 5 Guys for the first time and was disappointed.

The price was huge, the fries tasted dry like they came from under a heat lamp. The burger was extremely bland with no seasoning - yuck.

Maybe I went on a bad day?

Its a shame cause everything looked fabulous, and I love the concept/presentation.

Should I try them a 2nd time?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 PM

269 posts, read 535,144 times
No Shake Shack here, In-n Out is good, but Smashburger is better.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Being a New Yorker, I've tried both Five Guys and Shake Shack. No In-n Out over here.

I voted Five Guys by far over Shake Shack. I've been to Shake Shack, and thought it was very overrated. Five Guys is pure awesomeness (I live close to a Five Guys as well, which is sweet ).

Old 03-25-2015, 10:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'm sorry for all of you who have experienced dried out hamburger at Five Guys. All the ones I've been to have been juicy and awesome.

I will admit that when they first opened here, I was not a fan of their fries, but over time, they appear to have changed something about them, and they're great, now.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Down in my FL area I have only been to a Five Guys twice. Was disappointed both times and thought is was pricey and overrated. Don't know about the other two....

I much prefer the big fat hamburgers prepared by my local Hardee's. The best, IMO. Much like homemade.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 AM

372 posts, read 723,623 times
In and Out 3x3, Animal Style, Extra Toast

Five Guys - Burgers are good. Bonus: Malt Vinegar w/ their seasoned fries. Problem at my location is every time I phone my order in ahead, they're 3 for 4 at getting it screwed up. I stopped phoning it in and even further, quit going.

Shake Shack - Never been

As for franchises not listed, Hardees / Carl's Jr 6 dollar thick burgers

Smashburger's Buffalo and Blue Cheese

On my bucket list: Louis' Lunch in CT (One day, I'll get there)

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Shake Shack is legendary. It's not even a contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink