Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg01 View Post
Tipping was always supposed to represent a "thank you" for service above and beyond. Not simply bringing food to you, or even taking your order. Things like an always pleasant attitude, quick and prompt service, always there to refill your drink... even before you realize you need it.
Exactly.

It's not what somebody's owed just for showing up and performing their job to whatever degree.

I tip for above and beyond. In fact, go above and beyond, and a tip is only the beginning. I am also likely to contact your manager and tell him or her what a great job you are doing and what an asset you are.

I don't tip for slow, subpar service. Which is what I unfailingly get at Sonic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:36 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Yes, but not 20% - usually round up to the nearest dollar or five dollars, etc., to make giving back change easier and let them keep the difference.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
There was a discussion elsewhere about a similar situation a few months back.. Tipping for carry out.

Now, if a place had the 'curbside takeout' that I was using.. I might tip.. But otherwise.. I never tip on a carryout order.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way are places that are pay first and have the tip line on there.. How am I supposed to know what tip to leave prior to receiving service?

I vacationed in Gatlinburg last summer, and it was one of those style places.. Buffet restaurant, pay when you go in.. This place, however, didn't allow you to leave a tip on a CC.. They did have an ATM, which I had to go to in order to pull money for a tip.. But I asked the server about it, and he said they stopped allowing tips on CC "because of Obama".. Which.. Was total BS. Likely, the owner was tired of having to pay out the CC charge percentage back to the processor on tips.. He tried to explain it as the new IRS rules (which actually have nothing to do with Obama) where auto-gratuity has to be considered part of pay, and therefore, payroll taxes have to be taken out of it. Told the server, look, I know you're in TN, which is pretty Red, and I lean that way as well.. But he didn't know me from Adam.. I could have been somewhere to the left of left and his comment probably would have gotten him no tip whatsoever.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM

50,332 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Yes, anywhere where they bring the food to my car, I tip. Not crazy high, but 15%, or at least $2.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
I always pay with a debt card now because the last two times with cash they kept the change without asking. Why should I tip for that?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Absolutely, a good one too

When I'm in Tucson, I always give a generous tip because I really like Sonic, and really appreciate the good service I always get. Anyone who serves me always gets a $20 tip.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Isn't Sonic a hedgehog? Do we need to tip hedgehogs too now?

Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Isn't Sonic a hedgehog? Do we need to tip hedgehogs too now?
I'm not sure, I only played that game on the Seaga it came out on. Haven't played it since.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I use the drive thru window at sonic so no tipping. I like their chili tots.
I used to park and have them deliver food, but then I learned about the tradition to tip. I don't want to tip for fast food! Now I do the drive thru and I am not tipping there.

I'm a good tipper (at least 20%) when at restaurants, because they're a restaurant. But why should I tip at Sonic when I don't tip at McDonald's or Taco Bell?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM

I've been doing research and it seems carhops get paid less than minimum wage. I do not feel that is right (and I am against a MW, but we have one), so tomorrow Imma make a carhop happy with a nice tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink