Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

I'm not much of a cereal eater. In fact, I'm not much of a breakfast eater. But sometimes I have a craving for cereal, so I get a box. Sadly, it's often something awful for me, like Lucky Charms.

I was in the mood for cereal today and I was going grocery shopping, but I absolutely didn't want to get Lucky Charms or anything sugary like that. But whenever I've bought a healthy cereal, I've always been disappointed -- I don't like bran flakes, most of the Kashi ones that I've tried tasted like twigs, and I've just never found anything that has a good taste to health ratio. Until today.

Today I found Special K Protein. It is lower in carbs that any other tasty cereal that I've had and there's 10g of protein per serving, which means that it's more filling than most other tasty cereals. And it's yummy.

Have any of you ever had it? Do you like it? (I love it. I want to marry it.) Do you know of any other cereals that are low in carbs but still magically delicious, in case I want to be unfaithful to my Special K Protein?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
I have had it, and also think it's pretty good. Offhand, I can't think of any others that are available in grocery stores and are low in carbs. Cheerios has a protein version, but it's still pretty carby.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I've never tried the Protein, I usually buy the Fruit & Yogurt or Cinnamon Pecan.

My favorite is Post Great Grains with dates and pecans, but it is fairly fattening. I've started eating my cereal with unsweetened almond milk, and that helps a little with the carbs.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I'm not a big cereal eater, but I am currently eating Post's Grape Nuts a lot in my pregnancy, since it has a huge amount of iron. I believe it is also reasonably high in protein, though I'm doing okay in that department. I'm an anemic from way back, though, so I need to concentrate on all the extra iron I can get.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
TabulaRasa -- congratulations!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2015, 07:53 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not a big cereal eater, but I am currently eating Post's Grape Nuts a lot in my pregnancy, since it has a huge amount of iron. I believe it is also reasonably high in protein, though I'm doing okay in that department. I'm an anemic from way back, though, so I need to concentrate on all the extra iron I can get.
Congratulations!!

But I have no idea how you can stomach Grape Rocks. Bleargh. I once calculated a bowl of them as my friend ate them - one serving, milk, and a banana - and it was more carbs in one bowl of cereal than I ate in an entire day!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Thanks!

I actually love Grape Nuts. They were the only cereal my grandma stocked at her house, and when I was a little girl, I loved to spend the night at her house, and we always had Grape Nuts together in the a.m.

As an adult, I'm more likely to have non-cereal items for breakfast...more toast or breakfast sandwiches or eggs. I'm supplementing with the iron packed cereal, though, and sometimes have it as a snack.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Sounds pretty tasty with nice flavors

Special K® Protein Cereal | Special K® Cereals

Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 AM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you pour something low in calcium on the Grape Nuts, you'll absorb more iron.

"Substances (such as polyphenols, phytates, or calcium) that are part of some foods or drinks such as tea, coffee, whole grains, legumes and milk or dairy products can decrease the amount of non-heme iron absorbed at a meal."

Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Iron and Iron Deficiency | DNPAO | CDC

Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 AM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
It has only 6 grams of sugar per serving! That's not bad for something tasty. I'm on a (supposed to be) low carb low sugar diet. I can probably eat a little bit of that. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink