Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a niche in the food truck industry. It's mostly just me dreaming, but husband is supportive of it too and it's something we like to talk about.

There are all sorts around here because we are in a metro area with lots of businesses. We have the usual pie trucks and all American normal food.

But I'm wondering if you were to have really tasty low calorie alternatives, would it draw you in? For example, instead of the juicy burger next door, would you eat a turkey burger with just the right spice blend that you don't realize you're eating healthy (just as juicy too)? Or would you have gluten free pies that taste like the real thing instead of the pie next door with all the sugar and fat?

Of course there would be samples in case people are intimidated about buying something they've never tried before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
The samples would be critical - if it is great food, I would give your truck a try.

You may want to try a market survey before you give it a go - go to the area where you will locate your food truck and start asking potential customers if they would try your truck.

Good Luck!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:34 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
They already exist, few are what most would consider junk foods. Most of them are healthy tacos, lobster sandwiches or soups, wraps, pastas, healthy burgers, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to go to a truck and purchase a head of lettuce and an apple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhJSHUB415g

Old 03-29-2015, 02:53 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I would buy ,,, reasonably priced,,

chicken parts
ribs
meatballs
lasagna
cheeseburgers
kabobs

stir fry's

Chinese food

Old 03-29-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
The samples would be critical - if it is great food, I would give your truck a try.

You may want to try a market survey before you give it a go - go to the area where you will locate your food truck and start asking potential customers if they would try your truck.

Good Luck!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
They already exist, few are what most would consider junk foods. Most of them are healthy tacos, lobster sandwiches or soups, wraps, pastas, healthy burgers, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to go to a truck and purchase a head of lettuce and an apple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhJSHUB415g
That video was hilarious. The reactions were priceless. I have to say I would probably be a little angry having my heart set on a chocolate taco and getting handed a broccoli stick.

I'm the type of person that keeps the healthy stuff at home, and then goes out for the junk. That's why I wonder if a healthy truck would be lucrative. I would have to make it taste just as indulgent as the stuff we usually go out for. You can do that with the right ingredients, but like the other poster said, samples are crucial. The niche is psychologically getting away with something by having a dish that tastes like rich food but without any guilt.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
If your food is good, and priced fairly, then you will do ok. The location would determine how successful experimental choices would go over.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm looking for a niche in the food truck industry. It's mostly just me dreaming, but husband is supportive of it too and it's something we like to talk about.

There are all sorts around here because we are in a metro area with lots of businesses. We have the usual pie trucks and all American normal food.

But I'm wondering if you were to have really tasty low calorie alternatives, would it draw you in? For example, instead of the juicy burger next door, would you eat a turkey burger with just the right spice blend that you don't realize you're eating healthy (just as juicy too)? Or would you have gluten free pies that taste like the real thing instead of the pie next door with all the sugar and fat?

Of course there would be samples in case people are intimidated about buying something they've never tried before.
Healthy options are great...you lost me at gluten free...that just screams trendy as very few people actually are legitimatly allergic. ...and gluten free items can have just as much sugar and fat...it's not a code word for 'healthy'.....and you've already deemed perspective customers intimidated by choice?

You need to do a lot more research on food trucks and the people who eat at them.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Healthy options are great...you lost me at gluten free...that just screams trendy as very few people actually are legitimatly allergic. ...and gluten free items can have just as much sugar and fat...it's not a code word for 'healthy'.....and you've already deemed perspective customers intimidated by choice?

You need to do a lot more research on food trucks and the people who eat at them.
Maybe gluten free is a bad example then. The dessert could have raw sugar instead of white and organic flour or other substitutions where you don't notice it's not there. We live in a trendy area so that's what has me thinking a little bit. I know I need to do a lot more than research, right now it's just kind of a dream we have.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
I would NOT eat a turkey burger...ever. The texture is too gross!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

not to mention the grab your ankles cost...

on a farmers market cook out- last summer,,,they were selling morning star farm patties/with all wheat bun and farm onions,,,for 13.00 a piece...

I sell a full variety of Morningstar farms patties,,,, these people were sticking it to the organic crowd...
but,,, then again so is whole foods and people feel good about it..

I think im going to get a grill spot this summer on the farmers markets..... I got all the product on wholesale and all the "organic" signage and stickers,,

my organic bbq sauce kabobs sold well at 9.99lb last summer ( the bbq sauce was organic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink