Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:45 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times

Advertisements

I'm experimenting with different spices and peppers. I like recipes on the spicy side. I go through a bottle of Red Hot sauce in about six weeks and I sprinkle tabasco (or any hot sauce I can find) on just about anything (pizza, hamburgers).

I have a new recipe that uses Chipotle in adobo sauce (because ground turkey needs help). I really didn't think this stuff was all that bad until I tried to digest it. It tastes really good but my stomach and the rest cannot tolerate it. So I'll stick with the Red Hot sauce for now and try peppers on the lower scale.

How hot have you gone, or can you go? Is there a conflict between what tastes good and what your body just can't handle? Have you found this out the hard way?

Here is the heat scale for peppers for reference:

How Hot Are Chile Peppers? | Pepper Heat Scale | Capsaicin Scoville Scale

If I use this recipe again, I will use peppers a littler lower on the scale or take out the seeds (I've heard this helps). I like the smoky flavor of the jarred chipotle peppers, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
The older I get, the less able I am to tolerate spicy foods. I like Sichuan cooking and have found that these days I really have to reduce the amount of hot bean sauce in the recipes.

I can tolerate poblano peppers, which is good as I like chile rellenos.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Peoples tolerance to hot peppers can be all over the place depending on what they like and how often they will use a particular hot pepper. to me Tabasco sauce and related products arent really that hot and something i call entry level heat, if you want heat it starts in the neighborhood of Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros.Easy to grow a plant or two in a plastic container on your back porch or in a window box.
I usually order seeds from online sources, this one aint bad=
World's Hottest peppers, Craig's Deluxe ™ Trinidad Scorpion and others
For info and recipes on peppers heres a good resource =
Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite

Last edited by jambo101; 04-08-2015 at 02:01 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The ordinary tabasco-style sauces that are commonly served in restaurants or sold in supermarkets, I can eat with a spoon like a bowl of soup. But I notice it quickly if I hit a different variety. I no longer bother to add much to my food, because it just detracts from the other flavors.

They have absolutely no after-eating effect, like in my digestion. Really hot ones or unfamiliar one cause my sinuses to run, but so does a cup of hot coffee.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Heres some unsuspecting kid obviously not familiar with a Habaneros heat..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ip5oGlMfU

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM

24,562 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Bring it on Most of it grows right outside from sweet banana to ghost.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
You've had nothing "hot" until you've tried a sauce or salsa made from chiltepins.

Chiltepin Chili Pepper | Chile Tepin | Wild Red Hot Chili Peppers | Texas Chilli | Chiles Chilis

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I enjoy heat, but I don't see any point in peppers and spices so hot that they overwhelm the flavor of the food they are supposed to be accenting, entirely. Heat for heat's sake isn't my thing. It needs to complement the dish. I don't want to JUST taste the hot peppers.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I actually don't like heat per se. I just like the flavors the peppers give and tolerate the heat. Based on that list, scotch bonnet/habanero is my limit. I also prefer the clean heat like wasabi or hot mustard etc.

Tip for the chipotle in adobo sauce, I just use the sauce. Because it's so strong tasting, a little goes a long way and it adds very little heat to the entire dish.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I actually don't like heat per se. I just like the flavors the peppers give and tolerate the heat. Based on that list, scotch bonnet/habanero is my limit. I also prefer the clean heat like wasabi or hot mustard etc.

Tip for the chipotle in adobo sauce, I just use the sauce. Because it's so strong tasting, a little goes a long way and it adds very little heat to the entire dish.
Scotch bonnet is pretty high up on the scale I love wasabi. When we go to a specialty store, I will sometimes grab a bag of the wasabi peas. One of my favorite snacks.

I will try just the sauce for the Chipotle peppers or at least cut out the seeds and see if it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink