Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

When I was in elementary school, I put my chicken in my cherry cobbler to see what it would taste like. It was delicious, way better than the normal cafeteria food, so I proceeded to eat it like that, but the others at the table were disgusted by my manners and told the teacher I was playing with my food, and I got reprimanded.

I was having dinner at my aunt's house, and she had something to say to me when I took a slice of pie and plunked it on top of my entrée. At the time, I just thought she was being persnickety, but maybe this really is seen as rude to do at dinner? I've gotten into the habit of eating my food with my dessert, because it makes the dessert and meal easier to stomach.

Normally, I eat my dessert with my food without anyone asking me what I'm doing, but I wonder is it the proper thing to do? If I didn't eat my dessert with my meal, I would probably skip dessert on most occasions and eat less food. That sounds great from a dieter's perspective, but not eating could be considered rude, too. I just like the sweet taste the dessert can add to the food, so I normally eat them together.

Last edited by krmb; 04-09-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Hmm... Poached salmon and Devil's Food cake... Nope, couldn't do it.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Yes, most people will consider plopping a dessert dish on top of your entrée to be a breach of table etiquette (much moreso than declining dessert entirely would ever be). It would not be considered standard table manners, which would be good to bear in mind given your current preoccupation with etiquette.

You may want to experiment with sweeter sauces with savory dishes, as a more socially appropriate way of combining flavors, and one less likely to be seen as rude or gross. Things like honey-glazed ham, orange chicken, a mango chutney over a meat entrée, cottage cheese topped with pineapple or mandarin oranges, even a sweeter marinara with pasta are all less likely to appear strange or rude than, say, topping your taco salad with your chocolate pudding snack pack.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes, most people will consider plopping a dessert dish on top of your entrée to be a breach of table etiquette (much moreso than declining dessert entirely would ever be). It would not be considered standard table manners, which would be good to bear in mind given your current preoccupation with etiquette.

You may want to experiment with sweeter sauces with savory dishes, as a more socially appropriate way of combining flavors, and one less likely to be seen as rude or gross. Things like honey-glazed ham, orange chicken, a mango chutney over a meat entrée, cottage cheese topped with pineapple or mandarin oranges, even a sweeter marinara with pasta are all less likely to appear strange or rude than, say, topping your taco salad with your chocolate pudding snack pack.
It is rude? That's news to me. Is it a little breach of etiquette or a more serious breach, like say, opening your mouth while chewing? I don't always mix the dessert with the food; I just eat them together.

Last edited by krmb; 04-09-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 01:48 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I use to take chocolate pudding and plop it on my veggies so theyd be somewhat edible..

depends where you are,,,

if someone went thru a lot of effort to make a main dish and you pull out a bottle of ready whip whipped cream and smother it..

yeah, you may get a dirty look,,,,tho with any kids at the table, you would become their new best friend if you passed it over to them..

I think im going to try this,,,you gave me a good idea..

we have a new family member , the next disgusting veggie casserole she brings over im going to douse it with whipped cream and chocolate syrup....not say a word,
pass it to the kids,,,,
and then measure the reaction, see if it was rude..

Old 04-10-2015, 04:53 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
I'm not sure if it's rude but it's definitely different. I used to dip french fries in frosties in high school but I may have smoked something first

Old 04-10-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I'm not sure if it's rude but it's definitely different. I used to dip french fries in frosties in high school but I may have smoked something first
I prefer my fries with ranch dressing or tartar sauce, but I have eaten ice cream with guacamole. I think it was more to impress a friend than for taste, though, although I could eat salty frozen yogurt "ice cream" with avocadoes as a snack.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:33 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Your Aunt made you a dinner, she was proud of what she cooked, you then plunk your dessert down on top like you don't like the meal she made and need to drastically change it...yes it's rude, but more than that, it's weird, and you have said you would like to fit in better, so I would stop doing this. If you want to do that when you're alone, fine, but around other people, just eat things the way they are served. You've started lots of threads about losing weight, so why eat the dessert at all? Why not just say "thank you Auntie, but I'm trying to lose weight"?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Your Aunt made you a dinner, she was proud of what she cooked, you then plunk your dessert down on top like you don't like the meal she made and need to drastically change it...yes it's rude, but more than that, it's weird, and you have said you would like to fit in better, so I would stop doing this. If you want to do that when you're alone, fine, but around other people, just eat things the way they are served. You've started lots of threads about losing weight, so why eat the dessert at all? Why not just say "thank you Auntie, but I'm trying to lose weight"?
I haven't done anything like that lately. This happened a few years ago. I was just wondering about it. At the time, I thought she was being silly. This particular aunt is known for being overly dramatic.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:55 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
It is rude? That's news to me. Is it a little breach of etiquette or a more serious breach, like say, opening your mouth while chewing? I don't always mix the dessert with the food; I just eat them together.
If you were at my house, you wouldn't be served any dessert until after the meal, so it wouldn't be a problem.
I agree that its rude and weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink