Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 02:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times

Advertisements

Trader Joes frozen swordfish is pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:56 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
We generally eat ocean fish since there's almost no freshwater fishes around here. Ahi steaks lightly grilled are great. Ono (wahoo), swordfish, shark, almost any of those big ocean fishes made into steaks and grilled is tasty. Mahi is okay grilled, softer texture, though.

Aku is good for poke (poh kay) which is sort of a raw marinated fish salad. Ahi is also good for poke. Sashimi is great with ahi or aku if you want a more robust flavor. Little shoyu and wasabi and sliced fresh fish, yum! Gotta be really fresh, though, for sashimi. It should still glisten with that iridescent sheen when you slice it.

Papio is pretty good, too. The mainland name is trevally, I think. They fight really hard and are fun to catch. If they are over ten pounds then the papio becomes an ulua. Those can get up to over 100 pounds and still be caught from shore. Generally, we fish for papio since a decent sized ulua would destroy our gear.

Kaku (barracuda) are quite tasty, too.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
She's a girl and so am I, she is not a squeamish girl though, first time she caught a fish (at 3 years old) she touched it and sniffed it and said it looks like dinner
So cute, I wish my little one likes fish. Now you got me thinking about a nice fish soup with scallions, onions and a little bit of curry powder.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would you assume anyone's favorite fish was salmon?

My favorites are Lake Erie perch and Lake Erie walleye, swordfish, tuna and then maybe salmon.
Because a lot of people love salmon. I'm a big salmon fan, but since I don't live in Alaska anymore, I don't get really good salmon like I did up there. The fish around the TX Gulf Coast usually has a dirty flavor I don't detect from East and West Coast caught fish, so I avoid local seafood.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Seeing more and more farm raised (in the open ocean) cobia. White, flaky meat. mild flavor, nice texture. grills well.

Typically you will pay $$$$ for fresh seafood/fish. If you are near a Wegmans, they have an excellent seafood department. They get most of their finfish in whole, and butcher it in store. I have bought halibut 'collar' the area behind the head that inlcudes the jaw. Great for seafood stock and chowder.

Staying in your budget can be tricky. Look for fluke/flounder or other fish when on sale, buy up and vacuum seal/freeze. Cod/pollack can be economical when in season and plentiful. It typically has a particular flavor that most folks find appealing.

Always ask to sell the fish you will be paying big $$$ for. Don't be afraid to ask.

Mike

Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Last night on the Travel Channel's Hotel Amazon show, the cast and crew feasted on what they described as the best fish they had ever tasted; it was tilapia.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
google dirty Jobs Tilapia episode..

Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Blackened Grouper - and, as long as I'm in this fantasy world, from Dockside Dave's in Indian Rocks Beach, FL...
Now you've done it - my mouth's watering.... and I'll take a slice (the size of a spare tire) of that Key Lime Pie please!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Last night on the Travel Channel's Hotel Amazon show, the cast and crew feasted on what they described as the best fish they had ever tasted; it was tilapia.
I've never liked the thought of eating a goldfish....

Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Reading through this thread makes me realize, I have a lot of fresh water fish I haven't been eating. I need to go do some fishing!

One of my faves is rainbow Trout, dredged in cornmeal, sauteed with some bacon lardons, clarified butter, and fresh thyme. When the fish is just cooked, remove it and in the same pan a big old handfull of spinach and squeeze of lemon, stuff that between the 2 fillets and dinner is done.

Here's some trivia for ya'll all...

Do you know why lemon is put on fish? It's not for the taste, although it does add flavor...
It's to close the cells of your throat so as to lessen the ability for a lose fish bone to be lodged....
Another creative idea by the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink