Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Just wondering are there any Healthy Salad Dressings sold at the Grocery Stores that are Trans Fat Free and low in Sugar etc...that you guys have tried and/or know of,

Yes i can use Olive Oil and i do but sometimes i really miss a good Salad Dressing on my salads thats not full of all the garbage.

I was wondering if the ''Healthy Choice'' brand sells salad dressings.

Anythoughts?? Thanks....

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
Finding a really good olive oil in a supermarket is not easy, since most of them are mass produced and don't taste as good as those produced by a single grower. You can find tasty ones at a good Italian import store. The very best are Badia a Coltibuono and Laudemio Frescobaldi.

I like my vinegar to be of the best quality as well, and finding, say, good balsamic vinegar can be treacherous. The best I have found in (only a few) supermarkets is Sclafani, which comes in a pinch bottle and costs about $10. for half a liter. But a little goes a long way. Their unfiltered olive oil is also splendid, though it did cost $17.69 last time I found it, for a liter.

I also like aged Chianti red wine vinegar and oder that made by Dal Raccolto on line. It is different from most mass produced red wine vinegars, and I add a little garlic and basil to the salad dressing mix.

With a good olive oil and vinegar you can make your own salad dressing from scratch to Italian, French or other recipes. No chemicals, and I know exactly how many calories are in it. Since most store bought dressings add water and high fructose corn syrup, you actually use less on a salad!

While I am very frugal, and wish I could find a decent and healthy salad dressing in the supermarket, the bottlers all use unwelcome ingredients to lower costs and stretch shelf life. So I shop around, and have found that one online importer has both low prices and a terrific selection of these items in their natural unprocessed state, not only from Italy, but from Spain and Greece as well. You can find them at Pennsylvania Macaroni Company .

Old 02-01-2008, 12:54 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I had no idea that pennmac had delivery and/or mail order services. Whenever I go to Pittsburgh, which is often as one of my children lives there, I go to the Strip, visit this market and often buy more than I can carry.

I'll check out the site carefully over the weekend.

Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Finding a really good olive oil in a supermarket is not easy, since most of them are mass produced and don't taste as good as those produced by a single grower. You can find tasty ones at a good Italian import store. The very best are Badia a Coltibuono and Laudemio Frescobaldi.

I like my vinegar to be of the best quality as well, and finding, say, good balsamic vinegar can be treacherous. The best I have found in (only a few) supermarkets is Sclafani, which comes in a pinch bottle and costs about $10. for half a liter. But a little goes a long way. Their unfiltered olive oil is also splendid, though it did cost $17.69 last time I found it, for a liter.

I also like aged Chianti red wine vinegar and oder that made by Dal Raccolto on line. It is different from most mass produced red wine vinegars, and I add a little garlic and basil to the salad dressing mix.

With a good olive oil and vinegar you can make your own salad dressing from scratch to Italian, French or other recipes. No chemicals, and I know exactly how many calories are in it. Since most store bought dressings add water and high fructose corn syrup, you actually use less on a salad!

While I am very frugal, and wish I could find a decent and healthy salad dressing in the supermarket, the bottlers all use unwelcome ingredients to lower costs and stretch shelf life. So I shop around, and have found that one online importer has both low prices and a terrific selection of these items in their natural unprocessed state, not only from Italy, but from Spain and Greece as well. You can find them at Pennsylvania Macaroni Company .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink