Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

The tax rebate came, and I bought both of the above.

I've already asked for freezer recipes, and gotten good responses. But I'm just wondering if anyone has any dos/don'ts for using either item - things that have worked and things that haven't worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I had a chest freezer before, and I learned to check it after every power outage. It was plugged into one of the GFCI outlets in the garage, and it would trip when the power flickered. If I didn't remember to reset it, I'd lose everything in the freezer. I don't know how common that problem is, but it's kept me from getting another freezer for the garage, even though I could really use one.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
We got a very large chunk of cheese for Christmas and I vacuum sealed half of it and froze it. Recently took it out and it was good as fresh! I'm not sure I would have done that had it not been a free gift to start, but now I know.

Since it's just hubby and I, if I buy a whole head of cauliflower or a bag of brussel sprouts, I will prepare half and blanch the other half and freeze for a later date. Don't try to freeze fresh vegetables but blanched ones are fine.

I now buy the larger packs of meats on sale and break them down into individual packages when I get home - saves a lot of money.

I've also vacuum sealed things like cereal (another thing we don't eat a lot of) but you have to be careful so you don't crush it in the process!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Don't spend too much time, energy or money trying to save really cheap food--or things which you're not sure that you're going to eat/use. While it's a waste to throw away perfectly good food, it makes little sense to clutter the pantry shelves or freezer with "stuff". I should know; I've done it.

Label freezer items if you might not be able to determine what it is in a year. Beef stew and the dog's lunch look surprising similar after a year.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Don't spend too much time, energy or money trying to save really cheap food--or things which you're not sure that you're going to eat/use. While it's a waste to throw away perfectly good food, it makes little sense to clutter the pantry shelves or freezer with "stuff". I should know; I've done it.

Label freezer items if you might not be able to determine what it is in a year. Beef stew and the dog's lunch look surprising similar after a year.
This is an absolute rule in our house. You always think you'll remember what it is or be able to tell, but once it's frozen all bets are off. It only takes a minute with a sharpie to write what's in the bag.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Label religiously, with both a description and a date that it was put in the freezer.

Keep your freezer as full as possible ... if there's empty space, fill it with jugs of water. Keep the cheaper stuff around the outside and the more expensive meats, etc. toward the center. If the power goes out for an extended time, a full freezer will stay frozen longer. And the stuff in the middle will be last to thaw. My parents had a 3 day power outage a few years ago, and when the power came back on, they found that everything in the middle was still frozen solid. They only had to throw out some vegetables.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I like to make a batch of soup or chili and freeze it in smaller amounts in those stackable containers. They become ice blocks that help keep the freezer cold, and the stacking makes it easy to keep tidy. My freezer drawer full of half-bags of random vegetables is a chaotic mess. The soup side is like playing Tetris.

P.S. Rectangle or square, not round.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
vac seal leftovers and label...

you can poke and microwave to warm or throw in hot /boiling water,,,,depending what it is

stock up on sale items...loss leaders on the front page of grocery store flyers buy in bulk and save,,,then vac seal and freeze

also I buy whole primals of meat ,,,cut them myself vac seal and freeze

for example,, Hannaford supermarket has bnls pork chops at 4.99lb whole foods is 5.99-6.99lb

you can buy a whole boneless pork loin (7-8lb) cut it yourself for ...1.99lb you can also make ribs and roasts out of the boneless pork loin. and save big money!!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Congrats!!

I love my freezers....I've not had a food saver....I hope you'll share what you earn about that.

I would keep bottles of water, and they sure come in handy during summer..and also to keep food in your picnic chest cold.

I try to keep less accessed foods in my chest freezer, and more "Go To" foods in my upright.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:53 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
I've had a foodsaver for many many years. I love it. No room for a chest freezer, but its just me so that would not be if much use anyway. I agree with the others...LABEL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink