Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times

Advertisements

In my county, syrofoam isn't allowed in the recycle bin as it isn't recyclable. I would take something with the guise of being more environmentally friendly. But it's common in my area for people to be very earth friendly here. The places I go don't even use syrofoam. They use plastic round containers with lids. Or plastic hinged boxes etc.

ETA: Only for leftovers that the restaurants would give you boxes or box for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
Stealing food is tacky. Taking home leftovers is not. 'Nuff said.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I suppose if you feel ultra-passionately about it, you could make a point to only frequent restaurants that you have double checked with and who provide biodegradable/environmentally friendly to-go containers.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Funny "Doggie Bag" story....we lived in Japan and had gone out for a nice dinner. I ate about 1/2 of my prime rib, so asked for a "doggie bag" to take the rest home for later.

They kind, Japanese waitress said "Oh, Doggie Bag, HI, HI, HI!"

She disappears with my plate and comes back with a bag (about the size of a grocery bag) that was FILL of nice bones and discarded meat for our "dog" (and we didn't HAVE a dog).....

Needless to say, we ditched it in the garbage when we got home, God only KNOWS how much food came from others plates. LOL

Sometimes things get lost in the translation/culture differences I suppose.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:34 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What might fly:

Mid-scale restaurants offering options to promote eco-friendly design.

You can get that icky styrofoam leaky takeout container.

Or, for $1, you can BUY a reusable, opaque (so no one has to see the stains inside it) plastic container with the restaurant's name imprinted on the cover. And every time you bring it in and use it to take home your leftovers, you get 50 cents taken off the bill. That would be in addition to any discounts or coupons or senior-saver-day deals you get when you visit.
If you think through the implications this would mean that someone who takes part of their meal home would be paying 50 cents less than someone who eats the entire meal at the restaurant and doesn't take anything home. That doesn't make much sense. Unless the restaurant starts charging extra for take home containers in the first place, then waives some/all of the charge for reusable containers.

By the way, this thread is the first time in about 20 years I've heard the term "doggie bag"!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:43 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Funny "Doggie Bag" story....we lived in Japan and had gone out for a nice dinner. I ate about 1/2 of my prime rib, so asked for a "doggie bag" to take the rest home for later.

She disappears with my plate and comes back with a bag (about the size of a grocery bag) that was FILL of nice bones and discarded meat for our "dog" (and we didn't HAVE a dog).....

Needless to say, we ditched it in the garbage when we got home, God only KNOWS how much food came from others plates. LOL

My grandpa had a picture of himself holding up a take out bag from his weekly favorite high end steakhouse. It was a foil lined white bag with the picture of a dog begging. The words, treats for the pup! The steakhouse had been criticized for not doing leftovers but relented and offered this bag for people to take home their leftovers for their dogs. His thought was that the steaks are only good for so long and not meant for reheating/leftovers etc. He also didn't allow well done at his restaurant either. (And it is still open and very successful but not sure if they have the same policies now)

I haven't thought of that bag in YEARS till you reminded me of it with your story. LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 03:13 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Wife and I were talking as she rinsed multiple styrofoam 'to-go' containers for recycling. She said "I am going to start bringing my own "tupperware" when we go out to eat (which is a couple times a week, typically).

Then we started talking about it that it could become a great trend for folks that care about stuff like this.

What do you all think? I know it would be a pain and may feel wierd at first, but it could ctahc on. especailly if establishments got involved (discount for your own container). I work from home and always consider leftovers when I order since I typically will eat them for lunch during the week.

Just a thought...

Mike
I've been doing this for years. It's not a big deal at all. Just keep some clean containers in the car and they're easy to grab. It's a fairly easy habit to get into - similar to learning to grab the reusable bags out of your trunk for the grocery store.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

I'll share my favorite doggie bag story. Normally my sister & family would take home the left over steak for their dog. However, when they visited my father he would eat the left over steak.

So, when my young nephew couldn't finish his steak, on a trip to visit grandpa, he politely asked the waitress to put the steak in a "Grandpa bag".

Everyone was laughing hysterically, but my nephew could not figure out what was so funny.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I expected this response. If they had one plate for one price and another with half the quantity of food for 1/2 the price who would complain? As for the methods and management of restaurants, they have many excuses for many things up their sleeves. Who am I to argue?
I'm not a restaurant manager, so i don't know the details. I do know that profits margins aren't that great, so for all we know, it could make a difference. Even if they made the half portion 60 to 70% of the original price to entice those for the original, if to many people get the small plate, that may not do it.

I suppose it's be like someone getting bumped down to PT from FT. They need the extra income.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 PM

500 posts, read 318,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A woman I know takes ziplock bags to the pizza buffet. She holds it under the table and crams about six slices in there to take home.
Ugh! That is plain, outright nasty! Theft too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink