Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times

Advertisements

Wife and I were talking as she rinsed multiple styrofoam 'to-go' containers for recycling. She said "I am going to start bringing my own "tupperware" when we go out to eat (which is a couple times a week, typically).

Then we started talking about it that it could become a great trend for folks that care about stuff like this.

What do you all think? I know it would be a pain and may feel wierd at first, but it could ctahc on. especailly if establishments got involved (discount for your own container). I work from home and always consider leftovers when I order since I typically will eat them for lunch during the week.

Just a thought...

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I could see women keeping a ziplock bag in their purse for a little something leftover. But bringing tupperware to a restaurant with you would be out of the question. I'll request a doggie bag/container fairly often for leftovers. I can rarely eat half of what's on my plate. Either myself or (actually the dog itself) will have it later. They never charge for take out containers at most places here.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
SATX56 -- I don't think Seafood Junky was saying that he gets charged for them. It's not a cost issue -- it's an environmental issue. All that styrofoam...

Seafood Junky -- I hate those styrofoam containers. Also, they never stay closed. Do I think that bringing your own Tupperware would catch on? No. I don't want to see anyone's tomato-sauce stained Tupperware in the dining room. But what I *would* like to see catch on is this: If restaurants could source inexpensive containers that (a) stay shut and (b) are reusable, I would actually pay their cost to use them instead of those flimsy bad-for-the-environment styrofoam jobs that let every everything leak out of them.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Wife and I were talking as she rinsed multiple styrofoam 'to-go' containers for recycling. She said "I am going to start bringing my own "tupperware" when we go out to eat (which is a couple times a week, typically).
I was thinking the same thing myself last night as I was rinsing out containers. I like to eat out and I love leftovers so I don't have to cook .

Old 04-14-2015, 03:05 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I hate it when they give you a huge Styrofoam container to take home half a sandwich or just a piece of meat. I would like a piece of foil or parchment and a paper bag. With goopy stuff, one of those foil bowls with the cardboard cover you crimp to close would be fine.

That being said, I would never bring my own containers.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I hate those too but there may be a health code violation. Probably not if the food is scraped into the container at the table, but often they will box it up in the kitchen. I don't think they can take your containers back there.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I could see women keeping a ziplock bag in their purse for a little something leftover. But bringing tupperware to a restaurant with you would be out of the question. I'll request a doggie bag/container fairly often for leftovers. I can rarely eat half of what's on my plate. Either myself or (actually the dog itself) will have it later. They never charge for take out containers at most places here.
A woman I know takes ziplock bags to the pizza buffet. She holds it under the table and crams about six slices in there to take home.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:14 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post

Then we started talking about it that it could become a great trend for folks that care about stuff like this.

What do you all think? I know it would be a pain and may feel wierd at first, but it could ctahc on. especailly if establishments got involved (discount for your own container). I work from home and always consider leftovers when I order since I typically will eat them for lunch during the week.

Just a thought...

Mike
N O...........

Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
SATX56 -- I don't think Seafood Junky was saying that he gets charged for them. It's not a cost issue -- it's an environmental issue. All that styrofoam...

Seafood Junky -- I hate those styrofoam containers. Also, they never stay closed. Do I think that bringing your own Tupperware would catch on? No. I don't want to see anyone's tomato-sauce stained Tupperware in the dining room. But what I *would* like to see catch on is this: If restaurants could source inexpensive containers that (a) stay shut and (b) are reusable, I would actually pay their cost to use them instead of those flimsy bad-for-the-environment styrofoam jobs that let every everything leak out of them.
Oh.... thanks maybe so.. In that case best thing is to not order more than you can eat. That of course is a hard thing to do with the way restaurants proportion food. I should order a child's plate but there's nothing i want in the selection and of course they'd frown on that. So it's pretty much like the bring your own bags to the supermarket or use the plastic bags. I suppose if one is that concerned do what you feel comfortable doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A woman I know takes ziplock bags to the pizza buffet. She holds it under the table and crams about six slices in there to take home.
Yep! It no doubt happens.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:59 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
No, IMO it's tacky. reminds of the time when my friend got married and her SIL brought her own Tupperware to the reception to take food home from the cocktail hour. I cannot be bothered washing those Styrofoam containers. I'd prefer it if they gave me my food in a foil wrapper with a paper bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink